Wednesday, May 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Fundraiser honours firefighter who died in B.C.

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 02 Aug, 2023 11:50 AM
  • Fundraiser honours firefighter who died in B.C.

Photo courtesy of Facebook (Zack Muise)

The young Ontario firefighter who died last week in British Columbia has been identified as Zak Muise in an online obituary and a tribute by the firefighting contractor he worked for.

Big Cat Wildfire shared a photo of Muise in his uniform and called him a "vital member" of one of its crews.

The 25-year-old died Friday as he helped battle the massive Donnie Creek wildfire in northeastern B.C.

RCMP have said he was killed when his heavy-duty ATV rolled over a steep drop on a gravel road in a remote area about 150 kilometres north of Fort St. John.

A brief online obituary posted on the website of a Waterford, Ont., funeral home in the name of his family says Muise is survived by his parents and five older siblings.

It says Muise was "loved by many," and the family is grateful to all firefighters and other first responders "who are still fighting."

It says a funeral is scheduled for later this month in Simcoe, Ont., and that a public memorial in B.C. is also being planned.

A fundraiser for the Canadian Critical Incident Stress Foundation has been launched in Muise's honour.

The organization provides support, education and training for first responders, veterans and their families and runs a camp for families and children coping with loss.

Muise was a contracted firefighter working to fight the nearly 6,000-square-kilometre Donnie Creek blaze in the province's northeast — the biggest wildfire in B.C.'s history.

Muise's Instagram page shows him enjoying time outdoors with family and friends, camping, snowboarding and golfing.

Muise is the fourth Canadian firefighter to die this year fighting wildfires, and the second to die in B.C.

On July 13, 19-year-old Devyn Gale died while combating a wildfire near her hometown of Revelstoke, B.C., after she was struck by a falling tree.

"Our hearts go out to all the families of fallen firefighters," Muise's obituary says.

MORE National ARTICLES

Anand, Champagne joining forces to lobby in D.C

Anand, Champagne joining forces to lobby in D.C
Defence Minister Anita Anand and Economic Development Minister François-Philippe Champagne are joining forces in the U.S. capital, selling the idea that Canada's nascent critical minerals industry makes it an ideal partner in fortifying a North American defence industrial base.

Anand, Champagne joining forces to lobby in D.C

Prairies to benefit most from immigration: report

Prairies to benefit most from immigration: report
Immigration minister Sean Fraser has argued that a boost to immigration is necessary to address labour shortages and Canada's aging population. The Desjardins analysis finds Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba would see the most GDP growth rate boost among provinces.

Prairies to benefit most from immigration: report

Turkish expats help with earthquake aid

Turkish expats help with earthquake aid
Both Turkey and Syria were rocked Monday by the massive quake, setting off international aid efforts that now include a $10-million commitment from the Canadian government and search and rescue teams being flown in from the United States.

Turkish expats help with earthquake aid

Charges laid in deadly tug sinking in B.C.

Charges laid in deadly tug sinking in B.C.
The charges relate to alleged violations of occupational health and safety regulations under the Workers Compensation Act, and court records show a first appearance is scheduled next month in a Prince Rupert courtroom.

Charges laid in deadly tug sinking in B.C.

Two children dead in bus attack on Quebec daycare

Two children dead in bus attack on Quebec daycare
The 51-year-old male driver has been arrested and faces charges of homicide and dangerous driving, Erika Landry, spokesperson with the police in Laval, Que., told reporters. The injuries suffered by the six children in hospital are not life-threatening. Authorities did not release the ages of the dead and injured children.

Two children dead in bus attack on Quebec daycare

B.C. minister says her cancer has returned

B.C. minister says her cancer has returned
Selina Robinson told the B.C. legislature that she got the news on Jan. 27. Robinson has previously shared her 2006 diagnosis about a "rare form of intestinal cancer" in a post on social media.    

B.C. minister says her cancer has returned