Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

'Get the message to President Trump': Premiers in D.C. deliver anti-tariff message

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 11 Feb, 2025 03:38 PM
  • 'Get the message to President Trump': Premiers in D.C. deliver anti-tariff message

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau cautioned U.S. Vice-President JD Vance against steel and aluminum levies Tuesday, as Canadian premiers picked up the Team Canada mantle in Washington to push against U.S. President Donald Trump's tariff threats.

Trudeau and Vance are in Paris for a global summit on artificial intelligence. A senior government official said Trudeau spoke with the vice-president about the impact steel tariffs would have in Ohio, which Vance represented previously in the U.S. Senate.

The president signed executive orders Monday to impose 25 per cent tariffs on all steel and aluminum imports into the United States, including Canadian products, starting March 12.

Trudeau called the tariffs "unacceptable" and said he was working with international partners to deliver a "firm and clear" response. 

Federal Finance Minister Dominic LeBlanc also spoke with Trump's newly confirmed Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent on Monday. The "conversation focused on our common objective — building a strong North American economy that benefits citizens and industries on both sides of our shared border," LeBlanc said in a social media post.

Monday's tariff threat marks another development in Trump's larger plans to reshape global trade and American foreign policy through tariffs.

Ontario Premier Doug Ford appealed directly to American business leaders in the United States capital Tuesday, asking them to reach out to Republican lawmakers and the president himself on Canada's behalf.

"Let’s stick together and please get the message to President Trump — this is not a good idea for both countries," Ford told members of the U.S. Chamber of Commerce.

This diplomatic push by the Council of the Federation, which includes all 13 provincial and territorial premiers, was planned originally as a stand against Trump's threat of 25 per cent across-the-board tariffs on Canadian imports, with a lower 10 per cent levy on Canadian energy.

Trump also moved to impose 25 per cent tariffs on all Mexican imports at the same time, but he delayed those levies for both countries until at least March 4 in response to border security commitments made separately by Canada and Mexico.

Ford said he was disappointed by the latest duties. While premiers will be talking with the federal government about retaliatory measures, Ford said it's the last thing anyone wants.

Ford, who initially suggested cutting off energy flows to the U.S., is instead leaning into his "Fortress Am-Can" proposal to deepen the resource alliance between the two countries in an effort to push back on the geopolitical influence of China.

Ford was set to meet with key Republicans Lisa McClain — chair of the House Republican Conference — Rep. Rob Wittman and Sen. Kevin Cramer later Tuesday.

British Columbia Premier David Eby, who is also in the U.S. capital, has said Canadians are "way too reliant on the decisions of one person in the White House." He said it's critical to reach out to Republicans.

Despite months of diplomacy from all levels of Canada's government, it remains unclear what Trump wants from America's northern neighbour. His initial tariff threats were linked to border security and fentanyl, but he has since widened his complaints to include defence spending and trade deficits.

Trump said Sunday that he was serious about making Canada the 51st state.

Tariffs appear inevitable, said Eric Miller, president of Rideau Potomac Strategy Group, a Washington-based cross-border consultancy focused on trade.

"I'm not sure much can change Donald Trump's mind at this point," Miller said.

Trump might waver when the stock market is affected and prices for products and energy rise, Miller said. It means there will be pain for Canada, he added, but the premiers' efforts to appeal to Republicans in Washington may blunt the impact.

"This is a case where, unfortunately, President Trump has to touch the hot stove before he realizes how valuable and integrated this relationship is," Miller said.

Ford said he believes Trump's tariff sabre-rattling is ultimately a negotiating tactic ahead of a mandatory review of the Canada-U.S.-Mexico Agreement. The trilateral pact was negotiated to replace the North American Free Trade Agreement under the first Trump administration.

During negotiations in 2018, Trump floated the idea of a 25 per cent tariff on the Canadian auto sector but it was never implemented. But he did use his national security powers to impose a 25 per cent tariff on steel and a 10 per cent tariff on aluminum imports.

Nearly a year later, Canada and Mexico were able to negotiate exemptions, which Trump removed in his Monday executive orders.

When the trade pact went into effect in 2020, Trump described it as the "best agreement we’ve ever made."

But Ford said it's now unlikely the president wants to wait for the 2026 review and Canada should be open to getting "a deal."

"The only thing certain right now in both economies is uncertainty," Ford said.

MORE National ARTICLES

B.C. Human Rights Tribunal to expedite complaint from Jewish teachers' group

B.C. Human Rights Tribunal to expedite complaint from Jewish teachers' group
A group of teachers says British Columbia's Human Rights Tribunal has agreed to expedite a complaint of antisemitism against their union as more allegations surface. The group claims the union has "ostracized" the teachers either because they're Jewish or they hold "currently unpopular views" about Jews, Israel or the Oct. 7 attacks by Hamas. 

B.C. Human Rights Tribunal to expedite complaint from Jewish teachers' group

Ottawa rules out early intervention to end Canada Post strike

Ottawa rules out early intervention to end Canada Post strike
The Liberal government in Ottawa is signalling it's not currently planning to intervene to end the Canada Post strike, even though the two sides appear to be far apart and the strike is hitting at the busiest time of year for the postal service. Some 55,000 workers hit the picket lines across Canada on Friday, after contract negotiations with their employer blew past the 72-hour strike deadline set by the Canadian Union of Postal Workers.

Ottawa rules out early intervention to end Canada Post strike

Inmate assaulted at Agassiz prison

Inmate assaulted at Agassiz prison
The Correctional Service Canada says an inmate was brought to an outside hospital after being assaulted at a maximum-security prison in Agassiz. It says in a news release that the attack happened last Friday.

Inmate assaulted at Agassiz prison

Canada, Indonesia agree to trade pact, Trudeau touts nuclear energy for Indo-Pacific

Canada, Indonesia agree to trade pact, Trudeau touts nuclear energy for Indo-Pacific
Ottawa has concluded negotiations for a trade deal with Indonesia and is proposing nuclear-energy collaboration with Southeast Asian leaders. The moves are a show of faith for multilateralism as the re-election of Donald Trump in the United States is raising fears of further strain in global co-operation on trade and the environment.

Canada, Indonesia agree to trade pact, Trudeau touts nuclear energy for Indo-Pacific

CRTC launches public consultation to review what is Canadian content

CRTC launches public consultation to review what is Canadian content
The CRTC is looking at how to redefine Canadian content, launching a new consultation with plans to hold a public hearing in the spring. That includes asking questions about whether artificial intelligence-created video can be considered Cancon.

CRTC launches public consultation to review what is Canadian content

Insurance Bureau of Canada calls for more funding

Insurance Bureau of Canada calls for more funding
The Insurance Bureau of Canada is calling for more federal funding after storms in B-C last month caused more than 110-million dollars in damage.  Intense rainfall and wind brought on by an atmospheric river resulted in overflowing rivers, sewer backups, and flooding roads, parking garages and basements in Coquitlam, Burnaby, West Vancouver, North Vancouver, Metro Vancouver and Surrey.

Insurance Bureau of Canada calls for more funding