Thursday, February 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

'Get the message to President Trump': Premiers in D.C. deliver anti-tariff message

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 11 Feb, 2025 03:38 PM
  • 'Get the message to President Trump': Premiers in D.C. deliver anti-tariff message

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau cautioned U.S. Vice-President JD Vance against steel and aluminum levies Tuesday, as Canadian premiers picked up the Team Canada mantle in Washington to push against U.S. President Donald Trump's tariff threats.

Trudeau and Vance are in Paris for a global summit on artificial intelligence. A senior government official said Trudeau spoke with the vice-president about the impact steel tariffs would have in Ohio, which Vance represented previously in the U.S. Senate.

The president signed executive orders Monday to impose 25 per cent tariffs on all steel and aluminum imports into the United States, including Canadian products, starting March 12.

Trudeau called the tariffs "unacceptable" and said he was working with international partners to deliver a "firm and clear" response. 

Federal Finance Minister Dominic LeBlanc also spoke with Trump's newly confirmed Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent on Monday. The "conversation focused on our common objective — building a strong North American economy that benefits citizens and industries on both sides of our shared border," LeBlanc said in a social media post.

Monday's tariff threat marks another development in Trump's larger plans to reshape global trade and American foreign policy through tariffs.

Ontario Premier Doug Ford appealed directly to American business leaders in the United States capital Tuesday, asking them to reach out to Republican lawmakers and the president himself on Canada's behalf.

"Let’s stick together and please get the message to President Trump — this is not a good idea for both countries," Ford told members of the U.S. Chamber of Commerce.

This diplomatic push by the Council of the Federation, which includes all 13 provincial and territorial premiers, was planned originally as a stand against Trump's threat of 25 per cent across-the-board tariffs on Canadian imports, with a lower 10 per cent levy on Canadian energy.

Trump also moved to impose 25 per cent tariffs on all Mexican imports at the same time, but he delayed those levies for both countries until at least March 4 in response to border security commitments made separately by Canada and Mexico.

Ford said he was disappointed by the latest duties. While premiers will be talking with the federal government about retaliatory measures, Ford said it's the last thing anyone wants.

Ford, who initially suggested cutting off energy flows to the U.S., is instead leaning into his "Fortress Am-Can" proposal to deepen the resource alliance between the two countries in an effort to push back on the geopolitical influence of China.

Ford was set to meet with key Republicans Lisa McClain — chair of the House Republican Conference — Rep. Rob Wittman and Sen. Kevin Cramer later Tuesday.

British Columbia Premier David Eby, who is also in the U.S. capital, has said Canadians are "way too reliant on the decisions of one person in the White House." He said it's critical to reach out to Republicans.

Despite months of diplomacy from all levels of Canada's government, it remains unclear what Trump wants from America's northern neighbour. His initial tariff threats were linked to border security and fentanyl, but he has since widened his complaints to include defence spending and trade deficits.

Trump said Sunday that he was serious about making Canada the 51st state.

Tariffs appear inevitable, said Eric Miller, president of Rideau Potomac Strategy Group, a Washington-based cross-border consultancy focused on trade.

"I'm not sure much can change Donald Trump's mind at this point," Miller said.

Trump might waver when the stock market is affected and prices for products and energy rise, Miller said. It means there will be pain for Canada, he added, but the premiers' efforts to appeal to Republicans in Washington may blunt the impact.

"This is a case where, unfortunately, President Trump has to touch the hot stove before he realizes how valuable and integrated this relationship is," Miller said.

Ford said he believes Trump's tariff sabre-rattling is ultimately a negotiating tactic ahead of a mandatory review of the Canada-U.S.-Mexico Agreement. The trilateral pact was negotiated to replace the North American Free Trade Agreement under the first Trump administration.

During negotiations in 2018, Trump floated the idea of a 25 per cent tariff on the Canadian auto sector but it was never implemented. But he did use his national security powers to impose a 25 per cent tariff on steel and a 10 per cent tariff on aluminum imports.

Nearly a year later, Canada and Mexico were able to negotiate exemptions, which Trump removed in his Monday executive orders.

When the trade pact went into effect in 2020, Trump described it as the "best agreement we’ve ever made."

But Ford said it's now unlikely the president wants to wait for the 2026 review and Canada should be open to getting "a deal."

"The only thing certain right now in both economies is uncertainty," Ford said.

MORE National ARTICLES

Man charged in Vancouver Island homicide

Man charged in Vancouver Island homicide
Mounties on Vancouver Island say a man has been charged with murder after another man was found dead over the weekend. R-C-M-P say officers from the Lake Cowichan detachment were called to a home at the Ditidaht First Nation Saturday morning. 

Man charged in Vancouver Island homicide

Violent attack on girl captured on video in Kelowna RCMP investigating

Violent attack on girl captured on video in Kelowna RCMP investigating
Police in Kelowna say they're investigating a violent attack on a girl that was captured on video on Friday night. RCMP say they are "reviewing very clear and detailed video of the incident to identify all of those involved," including "primary aggressors" and witnesses.

Violent attack on girl captured on video in Kelowna RCMP investigating

Calgary police investigating weekend assault of prominent radio host

Calgary police investigating weekend assault of prominent radio host
Rishi Nagar, a longtime radio host and news director for RED FM Calgary, identified himself as the victim of the assault. Nagar says he was assaulted by two men who were upset with recent reporting his outlet did related to an incident at the Dashmesh Culture Centre in Calgary last week.

Calgary police investigating weekend assault of prominent radio host

Wet snow warning on Trans-Canada Highway

Wet snow warning on Trans-Canada Highway
B-C is little more than a week into fall, but Environment Canada is warning of wet snow in the northeast and along a stretch of the Trans-Canada Highway. Muncho Lake and Stone Mountain provincial parks west of Fort Nelson are expected to see about 10 centimetres before the snow eases later today.

Wet snow warning on Trans-Canada Highway

Victoria awarded best travel city globally

Victoria awarded best travel city globally
Victoria has been chosen for the second year in a row in the Conde Nast Traveler's 2024 Readers' Choice Award as the number one small city in the world to visit. More than 575-thousand readers across the United States submitted their rating and travel experiences.

Victoria awarded best travel city globally

Media veteran tells inquiry of Beijing's influence on local Chinese outlets in Canada

Media veteran tells inquiry of Beijing's influence on local Chinese outlets in Canada
A media industry veteran is telling a public inquiry today the Chinese community in Canada has long been caught in the crosshairs of political discourse, disinformation and propaganda originating from the Chinese Communist Party.

Media veteran tells inquiry of Beijing's influence on local Chinese outlets in Canada