Thursday, February 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

'Get the message to President Trump': Premiers in D.C. deliver anti-tariff message

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 11 Feb, 2025 03:38 PM
  • 'Get the message to President Trump': Premiers in D.C. deliver anti-tariff message

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau cautioned U.S. Vice-President JD Vance against steel and aluminum levies Tuesday, as Canadian premiers picked up the Team Canada mantle in Washington to push against U.S. President Donald Trump's tariff threats.

Trudeau and Vance are in Paris for a global summit on artificial intelligence. A senior government official said Trudeau spoke with the vice-president about the impact steel tariffs would have in Ohio, which Vance represented previously in the U.S. Senate.

The president signed executive orders Monday to impose 25 per cent tariffs on all steel and aluminum imports into the United States, including Canadian products, starting March 12.

Trudeau called the tariffs "unacceptable" and said he was working with international partners to deliver a "firm and clear" response. 

Federal Finance Minister Dominic LeBlanc also spoke with Trump's newly confirmed Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent on Monday. The "conversation focused on our common objective — building a strong North American economy that benefits citizens and industries on both sides of our shared border," LeBlanc said in a social media post.

Monday's tariff threat marks another development in Trump's larger plans to reshape global trade and American foreign policy through tariffs.

Ontario Premier Doug Ford appealed directly to American business leaders in the United States capital Tuesday, asking them to reach out to Republican lawmakers and the president himself on Canada's behalf.

"Let’s stick together and please get the message to President Trump — this is not a good idea for both countries," Ford told members of the U.S. Chamber of Commerce.

This diplomatic push by the Council of the Federation, which includes all 13 provincial and territorial premiers, was planned originally as a stand against Trump's threat of 25 per cent across-the-board tariffs on Canadian imports, with a lower 10 per cent levy on Canadian energy.

Trump also moved to impose 25 per cent tariffs on all Mexican imports at the same time, but he delayed those levies for both countries until at least March 4 in response to border security commitments made separately by Canada and Mexico.

Ford said he was disappointed by the latest duties. While premiers will be talking with the federal government about retaliatory measures, Ford said it's the last thing anyone wants.

Ford, who initially suggested cutting off energy flows to the U.S., is instead leaning into his "Fortress Am-Can" proposal to deepen the resource alliance between the two countries in an effort to push back on the geopolitical influence of China.

Ford was set to meet with key Republicans Lisa McClain — chair of the House Republican Conference — Rep. Rob Wittman and Sen. Kevin Cramer later Tuesday.

British Columbia Premier David Eby, who is also in the U.S. capital, has said Canadians are "way too reliant on the decisions of one person in the White House." He said it's critical to reach out to Republicans.

Despite months of diplomacy from all levels of Canada's government, it remains unclear what Trump wants from America's northern neighbour. His initial tariff threats were linked to border security and fentanyl, but he has since widened his complaints to include defence spending and trade deficits.

Trump said Sunday that he was serious about making Canada the 51st state.

Tariffs appear inevitable, said Eric Miller, president of Rideau Potomac Strategy Group, a Washington-based cross-border consultancy focused on trade.

"I'm not sure much can change Donald Trump's mind at this point," Miller said.

Trump might waver when the stock market is affected and prices for products and energy rise, Miller said. It means there will be pain for Canada, he added, but the premiers' efforts to appeal to Republicans in Washington may blunt the impact.

"This is a case where, unfortunately, President Trump has to touch the hot stove before he realizes how valuable and integrated this relationship is," Miller said.

Ford said he believes Trump's tariff sabre-rattling is ultimately a negotiating tactic ahead of a mandatory review of the Canada-U.S.-Mexico Agreement. The trilateral pact was negotiated to replace the North American Free Trade Agreement under the first Trump administration.

During negotiations in 2018, Trump floated the idea of a 25 per cent tariff on the Canadian auto sector but it was never implemented. But he did use his national security powers to impose a 25 per cent tariff on steel and a 10 per cent tariff on aluminum imports.

Nearly a year later, Canada and Mexico were able to negotiate exemptions, which Trump removed in his Monday executive orders.

When the trade pact went into effect in 2020, Trump described it as the "best agreement we’ve ever made."

But Ford said it's now unlikely the president wants to wait for the 2026 review and Canada should be open to getting "a deal."

"The only thing certain right now in both economies is uncertainty," Ford said.

MORE National ARTICLES

Employer considers union plan in week two of Metro Vancouver HandyDART transit strike

Employer considers union plan in week two of Metro Vancouver HandyDART transit strike
Most services for Metro Vancouver's specialized HandyDART transit system remain cancelled for a second week, with the operator saying it will respond to a new proposal from the union representing striking workers on Thursday. TransDev Canada says that's when talks were "previously scheduled" to resume, and no agreements were reached in Sunday's initial mediated talks.

Employer considers union plan in week two of Metro Vancouver HandyDART transit strike

Canadian resident arrested over alleged Oct. 7 New York terror plot

Canadian resident arrested over alleged Oct. 7 New York terror plot
U.S. authorities say a Canadian resident has been arrested in Quebec over an alleged Islamic State terror plot to kill Jewish people in New York. The U.S. Department of Justice says Pakistani national Muhammad Shahzeb Khan, 20, also known as Shahzeb Jadoon, was arrested on Wednesday in relation to the attack it says was to take place around Oct. 7, the anniversary of the Hamas attack on Israel last year.

Canadian resident arrested over alleged Oct. 7 New York terror plot

Involuntary mental health care must be 'dignified and humane,' B.C. premier says

Involuntary mental health care must be 'dignified and humane,' B.C. premier says
People struggling with brain injuries, addictions and mental health issues need "dignified and humane" support services if they're committed against their will, and B.C. Premier David Eby says the government is putting its faith in a recently appointed adviser to make those services a reality.  Eby said Friday that his government is working on a strategy about involuntary care, speaking days after a deadly attack in downtown Vancouver that left one man dead.

Involuntary mental health care must be 'dignified and humane,' B.C. premier says

Rollover vehicle catches fire in Nelson

Rollover vehicle catches fire in Nelson
A man is lucky to be alive after his vehicle went off the road in Nelson, flipped over and caught fire. Police say the motorist was driving yesterday morning when his vehicle left the roadway and struck a large rock.

Rollover vehicle catches fire in Nelson

Suspicious package found in Downtown

Suspicious package found in Downtown
Police in Vancouver say officers cordoned off an area of downtown yesterday due to a suspicious package. Police say emergency response officers later examined the package and found no explosive device.

Suspicious package found in Downtown

Targeted shooting in North Vancouver

Targeted shooting in North Vancouver
North Vancouver RCMP say a man has been seriously injured in a targeted shooting overnight. Police say officers responded to calls of a shooting at 2 a-m and found a man in his 50s in the 700-block of East 29th Street.

Targeted shooting in North Vancouver