Friday, February 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

'Get the message to President Trump': Premiers in D.C. deliver anti-tariff message

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 11 Feb, 2025 03:38 PM
  • 'Get the message to President Trump': Premiers in D.C. deliver anti-tariff message

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau cautioned U.S. Vice-President JD Vance against steel and aluminum levies Tuesday, as Canadian premiers picked up the Team Canada mantle in Washington to push against U.S. President Donald Trump's tariff threats.

Trudeau and Vance are in Paris for a global summit on artificial intelligence. A senior government official said Trudeau spoke with the vice-president about the impact steel tariffs would have in Ohio, which Vance represented previously in the U.S. Senate.

The president signed executive orders Monday to impose 25 per cent tariffs on all steel and aluminum imports into the United States, including Canadian products, starting March 12.

Trudeau called the tariffs "unacceptable" and said he was working with international partners to deliver a "firm and clear" response. 

Federal Finance Minister Dominic LeBlanc also spoke with Trump's newly confirmed Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent on Monday. The "conversation focused on our common objective — building a strong North American economy that benefits citizens and industries on both sides of our shared border," LeBlanc said in a social media post.

Monday's tariff threat marks another development in Trump's larger plans to reshape global trade and American foreign policy through tariffs.

Ontario Premier Doug Ford appealed directly to American business leaders in the United States capital Tuesday, asking them to reach out to Republican lawmakers and the president himself on Canada's behalf.

"Let’s stick together and please get the message to President Trump — this is not a good idea for both countries," Ford told members of the U.S. Chamber of Commerce.

This diplomatic push by the Council of the Federation, which includes all 13 provincial and territorial premiers, was planned originally as a stand against Trump's threat of 25 per cent across-the-board tariffs on Canadian imports, with a lower 10 per cent levy on Canadian energy.

Trump also moved to impose 25 per cent tariffs on all Mexican imports at the same time, but he delayed those levies for both countries until at least March 4 in response to border security commitments made separately by Canada and Mexico.

Ford said he was disappointed by the latest duties. While premiers will be talking with the federal government about retaliatory measures, Ford said it's the last thing anyone wants.

Ford, who initially suggested cutting off energy flows to the U.S., is instead leaning into his "Fortress Am-Can" proposal to deepen the resource alliance between the two countries in an effort to push back on the geopolitical influence of China.

Ford was set to meet with key Republicans Lisa McClain — chair of the House Republican Conference — Rep. Rob Wittman and Sen. Kevin Cramer later Tuesday.

British Columbia Premier David Eby, who is also in the U.S. capital, has said Canadians are "way too reliant on the decisions of one person in the White House." He said it's critical to reach out to Republicans.

Despite months of diplomacy from all levels of Canada's government, it remains unclear what Trump wants from America's northern neighbour. His initial tariff threats were linked to border security and fentanyl, but he has since widened his complaints to include defence spending and trade deficits.

Trump said Sunday that he was serious about making Canada the 51st state.

Tariffs appear inevitable, said Eric Miller, president of Rideau Potomac Strategy Group, a Washington-based cross-border consultancy focused on trade.

"I'm not sure much can change Donald Trump's mind at this point," Miller said.

Trump might waver when the stock market is affected and prices for products and energy rise, Miller said. It means there will be pain for Canada, he added, but the premiers' efforts to appeal to Republicans in Washington may blunt the impact.

"This is a case where, unfortunately, President Trump has to touch the hot stove before he realizes how valuable and integrated this relationship is," Miller said.

Ford said he believes Trump's tariff sabre-rattling is ultimately a negotiating tactic ahead of a mandatory review of the Canada-U.S.-Mexico Agreement. The trilateral pact was negotiated to replace the North American Free Trade Agreement under the first Trump administration.

During negotiations in 2018, Trump floated the idea of a 25 per cent tariff on the Canadian auto sector but it was never implemented. But he did use his national security powers to impose a 25 per cent tariff on steel and a 10 per cent tariff on aluminum imports.

Nearly a year later, Canada and Mexico were able to negotiate exemptions, which Trump removed in his Monday executive orders.

When the trade pact went into effect in 2020, Trump described it as the "best agreement we’ve ever made."

But Ford said it's now unlikely the president wants to wait for the 2026 review and Canada should be open to getting "a deal."

"The only thing certain right now in both economies is uncertainty," Ford said.

MORE National ARTICLES

Eby pledges $300M towards 1,508-bed student housing project at UBC

Eby pledges $300M towards 1,508-bed student housing project at UBC
Premier David Eby says the province and University of British Columbia will partner to create housing for more than 1,500 students at the institution's Vancouver campus. He says funding will involve $300 million from the province and $260 million from the university.

Eby pledges $300M towards 1,508-bed student housing project at UBC

Vehicle weekend shooting in Surrey

Vehicle weekend shooting in Surrey
Police in Surrey say they are investigating after shots were fired into a vehicle by an unknown assailant over the weekend. Surrey R-C-M-P say the shooting happened on the evening of August 17th, when a white S-U-V travelling south on 124 Street was allegedly followed by a suspect vehicle described as a silver Toyota Corolla.

Vehicle weekend shooting in Surrey

Man charged in Surrey murder

Man charged in Surrey murder
A 24-year-old man has been charged in the stabbing death of another man that happened in Surrey in July. BC's Integrated Homicide Investigation Team says police were called to the scene of a fight on King George Boulevard on July 23rd and found a man identified as Jason Richard Gill suffering from multiple stab wounds.

Man charged in Surrey murder

White Rock scammers using technology to impersonate known companies to dupe people out of money

White Rock scammers using technology to impersonate known companies to dupe people out of money
Police in White Rock say scammers are using technology to impersonate well-known companies to dupe people out of money.  R-C-M-P say impostors use text messages, phone calls, emails and social media messages to scam people into thinking their from banks, or big companies like Amazon, FedEx and Microsoft. 

White Rock scammers using technology to impersonate known companies to dupe people out of money

4 in hospital in rollover crash

4 in hospital in rollover crash
Surrey R-C-M-P say a rollover crash sent two drivers, a passenger and an infant to hospital with non-life-threatening injuries yesterday afternoon.  Mounties say the crash happened in Whalley at King George Boulevard and 96th Avenue. 

4 in hospital in rollover crash

Rollout of Alberta's school cellphone ban raising concerns among teachers

Rollout of Alberta's school cellphone ban raising concerns among teachers
President Jason Schilling said about two weeks before most kindergarten to Grade 12 students go back to class, it's unclear why new provincial standards will be in place for Sept. 1, while school divisions have until Jan. 1 to put their own policies and procedures on the books.

Rollout of Alberta's school cellphone ban raising concerns among teachers