Friday, February 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

'Get the message to President Trump': Premiers in D.C. deliver anti-tariff message

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 11 Feb, 2025 03:38 PM
  • 'Get the message to President Trump': Premiers in D.C. deliver anti-tariff message

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau cautioned U.S. Vice-President JD Vance against steel and aluminum levies Tuesday, as Canadian premiers picked up the Team Canada mantle in Washington to push against U.S. President Donald Trump's tariff threats.

Trudeau and Vance are in Paris for a global summit on artificial intelligence. A senior government official said Trudeau spoke with the vice-president about the impact steel tariffs would have in Ohio, which Vance represented previously in the U.S. Senate.

The president signed executive orders Monday to impose 25 per cent tariffs on all steel and aluminum imports into the United States, including Canadian products, starting March 12.

Trudeau called the tariffs "unacceptable" and said he was working with international partners to deliver a "firm and clear" response. 

Federal Finance Minister Dominic LeBlanc also spoke with Trump's newly confirmed Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent on Monday. The "conversation focused on our common objective — building a strong North American economy that benefits citizens and industries on both sides of our shared border," LeBlanc said in a social media post.

Monday's tariff threat marks another development in Trump's larger plans to reshape global trade and American foreign policy through tariffs.

Ontario Premier Doug Ford appealed directly to American business leaders in the United States capital Tuesday, asking them to reach out to Republican lawmakers and the president himself on Canada's behalf.

"Let’s stick together and please get the message to President Trump — this is not a good idea for both countries," Ford told members of the U.S. Chamber of Commerce.

This diplomatic push by the Council of the Federation, which includes all 13 provincial and territorial premiers, was planned originally as a stand against Trump's threat of 25 per cent across-the-board tariffs on Canadian imports, with a lower 10 per cent levy on Canadian energy.

Trump also moved to impose 25 per cent tariffs on all Mexican imports at the same time, but he delayed those levies for both countries until at least March 4 in response to border security commitments made separately by Canada and Mexico.

Ford said he was disappointed by the latest duties. While premiers will be talking with the federal government about retaliatory measures, Ford said it's the last thing anyone wants.

Ford, who initially suggested cutting off energy flows to the U.S., is instead leaning into his "Fortress Am-Can" proposal to deepen the resource alliance between the two countries in an effort to push back on the geopolitical influence of China.

Ford was set to meet with key Republicans Lisa McClain — chair of the House Republican Conference — Rep. Rob Wittman and Sen. Kevin Cramer later Tuesday.

British Columbia Premier David Eby, who is also in the U.S. capital, has said Canadians are "way too reliant on the decisions of one person in the White House." He said it's critical to reach out to Republicans.

Despite months of diplomacy from all levels of Canada's government, it remains unclear what Trump wants from America's northern neighbour. His initial tariff threats were linked to border security and fentanyl, but he has since widened his complaints to include defence spending and trade deficits.

Trump said Sunday that he was serious about making Canada the 51st state.

Tariffs appear inevitable, said Eric Miller, president of Rideau Potomac Strategy Group, a Washington-based cross-border consultancy focused on trade.

"I'm not sure much can change Donald Trump's mind at this point," Miller said.

Trump might waver when the stock market is affected and prices for products and energy rise, Miller said. It means there will be pain for Canada, he added, but the premiers' efforts to appeal to Republicans in Washington may blunt the impact.

"This is a case where, unfortunately, President Trump has to touch the hot stove before he realizes how valuable and integrated this relationship is," Miller said.

Ford said he believes Trump's tariff sabre-rattling is ultimately a negotiating tactic ahead of a mandatory review of the Canada-U.S.-Mexico Agreement. The trilateral pact was negotiated to replace the North American Free Trade Agreement under the first Trump administration.

During negotiations in 2018, Trump floated the idea of a 25 per cent tariff on the Canadian auto sector but it was never implemented. But he did use his national security powers to impose a 25 per cent tariff on steel and a 10 per cent tariff on aluminum imports.

Nearly a year later, Canada and Mexico were able to negotiate exemptions, which Trump removed in his Monday executive orders.

When the trade pact went into effect in 2020, Trump described it as the "best agreement we’ve ever made."

But Ford said it's now unlikely the president wants to wait for the 2026 review and Canada should be open to getting "a deal."

"The only thing certain right now in both economies is uncertainty," Ford said.

MORE National ARTICLES

Canada imposes sanctions on anniversary of fraudulent 2020 Belarus election

Canada imposes sanctions on anniversary of fraudulent 2020 Belarus election
The sanctions are in response to what Joly describes as ongoing and systematic human rights abuses in Belarus, and support for Russia's illegal war of aggression against Ukraine.  Belarus' authoritarian President Alexander Lukashenko marked 30 years in power in that country last month. 

Canada imposes sanctions on anniversary of fraudulent 2020 Belarus election

'Extra hoops': Parks Canada's lease system, building rules could delay Jasper rebuild

'Extra hoops': Parks Canada's lease system, building rules could delay Jasper rebuild
Residents of Jasper, Alta., who lost their homes in last month’s wildfire face unique rebuilding challenges tied to leasing provisions nearly as old as Canada, followed modern rules dictating what they can and can’t construct. Lawyer Jessica Reed said property owners in the townsite in Jasper National Park own their buildings but, unlike other municipalities, don’t own the land they sit on.

'Extra hoops': Parks Canada's lease system, building rules could delay Jasper rebuild

Heavy rain hits Eastern Canada as remnants of tropical storm Debby move in

Heavy rain hits Eastern Canada as remnants of tropical storm Debby move in
Remnants of tropical storm Debby were expected to bring up to 120 millimetres of rain to parts of Eastern Canada as they merge with another low pressure system over the Great Lakes. The storm system has started passing through southern Ontario and Quebec today, prompting Environment Canada to issue alerts and warnings for communities between Cornwall, Ont., and Quebec City about the risk of flash flooding.

Heavy rain hits Eastern Canada as remnants of tropical storm Debby move in

Calgary mayor says city considering replacing water pipe that ruptured

Calgary mayor says city considering replacing water pipe that ruptured
Calgary's mayor says the city is considering ways to strengthen a key water main for the long term, including replacing it altogether. Jyoti Gondek says in the spring the city could add a liner or a sleeve to the pipe to strengthen it, or dig alongside it and built an entirely new one.

Calgary mayor says city considering replacing water pipe that ruptured

Students, recent immigrants hit hard by weakening job market, StatCan data suggests

Students, recent immigrants hit hard by weakening job market, StatCan data suggests
Students who have been hunting for a summer job and recent immigrants looking for work have felt the brunt of the country's weakening labour market, Statistics Canada's latest employment report shows. The federal agency’s July labour force survey released on Friday says the overall jobless rate held steady at 6.4 per cent last month as the economy shed a modest 2,800 jobs.

Students, recent immigrants hit hard by weakening job market, StatCan data suggests

Woman from United States dead after highway crash in southeastern B.C.

Woman from United States dead after highway crash in southeastern B.C.
Police in southeastern British Columbia say one person is dead after a highway crash just outside the community of Field, B.C., near the Alberta boundary. RCMP say the two-vehicle crash on Thursday involved a pick-up truck carrying two people from the United States and a minivan with three people from Alberta. 

Woman from United States dead after highway crash in southeastern B.C.