Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

'Get the message to President Trump': Premiers in D.C. deliver anti-tariff message

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 11 Feb, 2025 03:38 PM
  • 'Get the message to President Trump': Premiers in D.C. deliver anti-tariff message

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau cautioned U.S. Vice-President JD Vance against steel and aluminum levies Tuesday, as Canadian premiers picked up the Team Canada mantle in Washington to push against U.S. President Donald Trump's tariff threats.

Trudeau and Vance are in Paris for a global summit on artificial intelligence. A senior government official said Trudeau spoke with the vice-president about the impact steel tariffs would have in Ohio, which Vance represented previously in the U.S. Senate.

The president signed executive orders Monday to impose 25 per cent tariffs on all steel and aluminum imports into the United States, including Canadian products, starting March 12.

Trudeau called the tariffs "unacceptable" and said he was working with international partners to deliver a "firm and clear" response. 

Federal Finance Minister Dominic LeBlanc also spoke with Trump's newly confirmed Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent on Monday. The "conversation focused on our common objective — building a strong North American economy that benefits citizens and industries on both sides of our shared border," LeBlanc said in a social media post.

Monday's tariff threat marks another development in Trump's larger plans to reshape global trade and American foreign policy through tariffs.

Ontario Premier Doug Ford appealed directly to American business leaders in the United States capital Tuesday, asking them to reach out to Republican lawmakers and the president himself on Canada's behalf.

"Let’s stick together and please get the message to President Trump — this is not a good idea for both countries," Ford told members of the U.S. Chamber of Commerce.

This diplomatic push by the Council of the Federation, which includes all 13 provincial and territorial premiers, was planned originally as a stand against Trump's threat of 25 per cent across-the-board tariffs on Canadian imports, with a lower 10 per cent levy on Canadian energy.

Trump also moved to impose 25 per cent tariffs on all Mexican imports at the same time, but he delayed those levies for both countries until at least March 4 in response to border security commitments made separately by Canada and Mexico.

Ford said he was disappointed by the latest duties. While premiers will be talking with the federal government about retaliatory measures, Ford said it's the last thing anyone wants.

Ford, who initially suggested cutting off energy flows to the U.S., is instead leaning into his "Fortress Am-Can" proposal to deepen the resource alliance between the two countries in an effort to push back on the geopolitical influence of China.

Ford was set to meet with key Republicans Lisa McClain — chair of the House Republican Conference — Rep. Rob Wittman and Sen. Kevin Cramer later Tuesday.

British Columbia Premier David Eby, who is also in the U.S. capital, has said Canadians are "way too reliant on the decisions of one person in the White House." He said it's critical to reach out to Republicans.

Despite months of diplomacy from all levels of Canada's government, it remains unclear what Trump wants from America's northern neighbour. His initial tariff threats were linked to border security and fentanyl, but he has since widened his complaints to include defence spending and trade deficits.

Trump said Sunday that he was serious about making Canada the 51st state.

Tariffs appear inevitable, said Eric Miller, president of Rideau Potomac Strategy Group, a Washington-based cross-border consultancy focused on trade.

"I'm not sure much can change Donald Trump's mind at this point," Miller said.

Trump might waver when the stock market is affected and prices for products and energy rise, Miller said. It means there will be pain for Canada, he added, but the premiers' efforts to appeal to Republicans in Washington may blunt the impact.

"This is a case where, unfortunately, President Trump has to touch the hot stove before he realizes how valuable and integrated this relationship is," Miller said.

Ford said he believes Trump's tariff sabre-rattling is ultimately a negotiating tactic ahead of a mandatory review of the Canada-U.S.-Mexico Agreement. The trilateral pact was negotiated to replace the North American Free Trade Agreement under the first Trump administration.

During negotiations in 2018, Trump floated the idea of a 25 per cent tariff on the Canadian auto sector but it was never implemented. But he did use his national security powers to impose a 25 per cent tariff on steel and a 10 per cent tariff on aluminum imports.

Nearly a year later, Canada and Mexico were able to negotiate exemptions, which Trump removed in his Monday executive orders.

When the trade pact went into effect in 2020, Trump described it as the "best agreement we’ve ever made."

But Ford said it's now unlikely the president wants to wait for the 2026 review and Canada should be open to getting "a deal."

"The only thing certain right now in both economies is uncertainty," Ford said.

MORE National ARTICLES

Vancouver Police Union criticizes assault case's handling after officer's suicide

Vancouver Police Union criticizes assault case's handling after officer's suicide
The president of the Vancouver Police Union has criticized the handling of a sexual assault case that ended in the suicide of a Central Saanich Police officer. Ralph Kaisers says in a letter to members that was obtained by The Canadian Press that the "tragic loss" of the officer came after public statements that risked "undermining the presumption of innocence."

Vancouver Police Union criticizes assault case's handling after officer's suicide

Attempted murder charges for woman who tried to drive car with kids into B.C. river

Attempted murder charges for woman who tried to drive car with kids into B.C. river
Police in Delta say a woman has been charged with attempted murder after allegedly trying to drive a car carrying two young children into the Fraser River last month.  Delta police say officers had responded to an incident on Nov. 29 on River Road where they found a car stuck on the foreshore of the river. 

Attempted murder charges for woman who tried to drive car with kids into B.C. river

Latest B.C. storm brings 140 km/h gusts to Vancouver Island amid wind, snow warnings

Latest B.C. storm brings 140 km/h gusts to Vancouver Island amid wind, snow warnings
Winds approaching 140 km/h have been hitting Vancouver Island weather stations after Environment Canada issued the latest in a series of wind warnings for the B.C. coast. It says the warnings cover exposed coastal sections of the island's north and B.C.'s central coast, with a Pacific frontal system approaching.

Latest B.C. storm brings 140 km/h gusts to Vancouver Island amid wind, snow warnings

B.C. police officer charged with sexual assault dies by suicide, reports say

B.C. police officer charged with sexual assault dies by suicide, reports say
Several British Columbia media reports say one of two Central Saanich Police officers charged with sexual assaulting a woman they met on duty has died by suicide. The Times Colonist cites four sources saying 43-year-old Sgt. Matthew Ball has died, while other outlets cite police sources saying Ball died by suicide.

B.C. police officer charged with sexual assault dies by suicide, reports say

Virani says new wrongful conviction commission will support women, racialized people

Virani says new wrongful conviction commission will support women, racialized people
The law, named after David Milgaard and his mother, Joyce, will move the review process of cases away from the ministers, and will be replaced with an independent commission the government says will make it easier, faster and more fair for the potentially wrongfully convicted.

Virani says new wrongful conviction commission will support women, racialized people

Canada Post to start taking commercial mail again

Canada Post to start taking commercial mail again
Canada Post is set to start accepting commercial letters and parcels as it works to get back to normal operations following a month-long strike. The postal service has warned Canadians should expect delays into the new year as it works through a backlog of mail, after workers went back on the job Tuesday. 

Canada Post to start taking commercial mail again