Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

GoFundMe cancels Ottawa protest fundraiser

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 04 Feb, 2022 05:34 PM
  • GoFundMe cancels Ottawa protest fundraiser

OTTAWA - Crowdfunding site GoFundMe will reimburse or redirect to charities the vast majority of the more than $10 million raised by demonstrators protesting COVID-19 measures in Ottawa, saying the event has become an occupation.

The move could deny participants a vital source of funds as Ottawa braces for a new wave of protesters slated to arrive in the national capital this weekend.

GoFundMe says it supports peaceful protest and that it believes that was the initial intention of the Ottawa event.

The crowdfunding site says it now has evidence from law enforcement that the demonstration "has become an occupation, with police reports of violence and other unlawful activity."

GoFundMe says the fundraiser has been removed from its platform because it violates the site's terms of service, which prohibit the promotion of violence and harassment.

An initial $1 million was released to organizers earlier this week but, given how things have evolved, GoFundMe will issue refunds to donors and work with organizers to send remaining funds to "credible and established charities."

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Boeing told fighter bid did not meet requirements

Boeing told fighter bid did not meet requirements
Three sources from industry and government say the message was delivered Wednesday as the other two companies competing for the $19-billion contract — U.S. defence giant Lockheed Martin and Swedish firm Saab — were told they met the government’s requirements.    

Boeing told fighter bid did not meet requirements

B.C. opens major highway section in Fraser Valley

B.C. opens major highway section in Fraser Valley
The provincial government says the section of Highway 1 between Chilliwack and Abbotsford has been cleared to reopen and that will connect the Lower Mainland to Highway 3 as major road routes continue to be rebuilt from last week's floods.

B.C. opens major highway section in Fraser Valley

People on B.C. Highway 8 facing long-term disaster

People on B.C. Highway 8 facing long-term disaster
The Nicola River, which runs along flood-damaged Highway 8, has changed course and left some farms underwater, Rice says. A subsequent mudslide wiped out the highway and destroyed or damaged dozens of properties in the area.    

People on B.C. Highway 8 facing long-term disaster

RCMP say B.C. shooting suspect in custody

RCMP say B.C. shooting suspect in custody
Police say a suspect is in custody after officers responded to reports of a shooter at an RCMP detachment in northern British Columbia Cpl. Madonna Saunderson says there are no reported injuries at this time.

RCMP say B.C. shooting suspect in custody

Man shot in driveway in South Surrey

Man shot in driveway in South Surrey
On November 25, 2021,  at approximately 12:00 p.m., Surrey RCMP responded the report of a shooting in the 2900-block of 160 Street. One man was shot in the driveway of a residence. The victim was taken to local hospital with what is believed to be non-life threatening injuries.

Man shot in driveway in South Surrey

Canada's homicide rate jumped in 2020: StatCan

Canada's homicide rate jumped in 2020: StatCan
The new survey says 743 homicides were reported by Canadian police in 2020 — a figure that was the most since 1991 and includes the 22 victims of a gunman's rampage that began in Portapique, N.S., in April of last year.

Canada's homicide rate jumped in 2020: StatCan