Thursday, February 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Government spending in limbo as Tories, Liberals continue game of chicken in House

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 19 Nov, 2024 12:05 PM
  • Government spending in limbo as Tories, Liberals continue game of chicken in House

The federal government is asking Parliament for approval to spend billions of dollars, but the ongoing stalemate in the House of Commons could prevent the Liberals from getting the green light.

Treasury Board President Anita Anand tabled a request on Monday for $21.6 billion to fund programs including housing, dental care and the national school food program.

But the request is likely to sit in limbo because the Conservatives have pledged to gridlock all debate until the Liberals hand over unredacted documents related to misspending on a green-tech fund.

Conservative House leader Andrew Scheer says new documents released by the Liberals this month are still redacted and aren't good enough.

Finance Minister Chrystia Freeland called the Tories irresponsible and accused them of playing partisan games by continuing the filibuster that has ground government business to a halt for nearly two months.

There are additional tensions in the House as NDP MP Blake Desjarlais added his own request to Conservative calls for Employment Minister Randy Boissonnault to resign or be fired over claims he had Indigenous heritage.

MORE National ARTICLES

Feds fund legal advice for Ukrainians in Canada as immigration questions linger

Feds fund legal advice for Ukrainians in Canada as immigration questions linger
Justice Minister Arif Virani says the government will expand a legal advice hotline for war-displaced Ukrainians in Canada to help them understand their rights and navigate the immigration system. The news comes as many Ukrainians anxiously wait to find out whether Canada will offer them a permanent stay after their emergency visas expire. 

Feds fund legal advice for Ukrainians in Canada as immigration questions linger

Lisa Beare fills B.C. portfolio vacated by Selina Robinson, who quit over Gaza remark

Lisa Beare fills B.C. portfolio vacated by Selina Robinson, who quit over Gaza remark
British Columbia Premier David Eby has named a new post-secondary education minister to replace Selina Robinson, who recently resigned over comments about the Middle East. Eby says in a statement that Lisa Beare, previously the minister of citizens' services, will fill the post-secondary education and future skills portfolio.

Lisa Beare fills B.C. portfolio vacated by Selina Robinson, who quit over Gaza remark

North Vancouver home of two 'terrified' seniors repeatedly vandalized

North Vancouver home of two 'terrified' seniors repeatedly vandalized
Police say two seniors in North Vancouver are "terrified" and flummoxed to explain why vandals have targeted their home five times in the last year.  North Vancouver RCMP say the most recent harassment came on Saturday at 12:40 a.m. and 1:30 a.m., when a security camera recorded two suspects kicking the home's front door before running away.

North Vancouver home of two 'terrified' seniors repeatedly vandalized

Politicians back at the leg for spring session

Politicians back at the leg for spring session
BC politicians are back in Victoria this week for the spring legislative session.  Today's speech from the throne will set out the political agenda for the coming weeks ahead of this fall’s provincial election campaign.

Politicians back at the leg for spring session

RCMP says two-vehicle crash near Burnaby, B.C. off ramp leaves 1 dead, 2 badly hurt

RCMP says two-vehicle crash near Burnaby, B.C. off ramp leaves 1 dead, 2 badly hurt
Burnaby RCMP says one person is dead and two people are in critical condition after a two-vehicle crash Sunday near a Highway 1 off ramp. Cpl. Mike Kalanj says in a statement the Mounties are investigating the early morning accident near the Sprott Street off ramp.

RCMP says two-vehicle crash near Burnaby, B.C. off ramp leaves 1 dead, 2 badly hurt

1 injured in Surrey shooting

1 injured in Surrey shooting
A shooting in Surrey over the weekend has sent a man to hospital with serious injuries in what police are calling an isolated incident. Surrey RCMP say officers responded to a report of shots fired in the Guildford area of Surrey at about 6:23 p.m. Sunday. 

1 injured in Surrey shooting