Saturday, February 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

Government spending in limbo as Tories, Liberals continue game of chicken in House

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 19 Nov, 2024 12:05 PM
  • Government spending in limbo as Tories, Liberals continue game of chicken in House

The federal government is asking Parliament for approval to spend billions of dollars, but the ongoing stalemate in the House of Commons could prevent the Liberals from getting the green light.

Treasury Board President Anita Anand tabled a request on Monday for $21.6 billion to fund programs including housing, dental care and the national school food program.

But the request is likely to sit in limbo because the Conservatives have pledged to gridlock all debate until the Liberals hand over unredacted documents related to misspending on a green-tech fund.

Conservative House leader Andrew Scheer says new documents released by the Liberals this month are still redacted and aren't good enough.

Finance Minister Chrystia Freeland called the Tories irresponsible and accused them of playing partisan games by continuing the filibuster that has ground government business to a halt for nearly two months.

There are additional tensions in the House as NDP MP Blake Desjarlais added his own request to Conservative calls for Employment Minister Randy Boissonnault to resign or be fired over claims he had Indigenous heritage.

MORE National ARTICLES

Speeding blitz in Kelowna issues 80 tickets in November

Speeding blitz in Kelowna issues 80 tickets in November
It was a busy month for Kelowna R-C-M-P officers as they dealt with a slew of speeding drivers in November. The Mounties say they handed out 80 speeding tickets last month.  

Speeding blitz in Kelowna issues 80 tickets in November

8 people are facing drug trafficking charges in Courtenay

8 people are facing drug trafficking charges in Courtenay
8 people are facing trafficking charges after a lengthy investigation in Courtenay. Comox Valley R-C-M-P say two units collaborated to specifically target drug traffickers in Courtenay's downtown.

8 people are facing drug trafficking charges in Courtenay

Child luring incident in North Vancouver

Child luring incident in North Vancouver
Police in North Vancouver are looking for witnesses after a child reported being approached by a stranger driving a truck. The Mounties say it happened early afternoon near West 13th Street and Mahon Avenue as a 10-year-old boy was walking along the street.  

Child luring incident in North Vancouver

CBC head Catherine Tait summoned to committee over job cuts, executive bonuses

CBC head Catherine Tait summoned to committee over job cuts, executive bonuses
The House of Commons heritage committee unanimously agreed on Thursday to have the president of the public broadcaster address the cuts and potential bonuses. The committee summoned Tait to appear at its first meeting in the new year following the holiday recess, but a date has yet to be set. 

CBC head Catherine Tait summoned to committee over job cuts, executive bonuses

R.J. Simpson chosen as next Northwest Territories premier

R.J. Simpson chosen as next Northwest Territories premier
Newly elected members of the Northwest Territories legislature have chosen their next premier.  R.J. Simpson, the legislature member for Hay River North, won on the second round of voting Thursday. Simpson was first elected to the legislature in 2015, and previously worked with the federal government, Northern Transportation Co. Ltd., Métis Nation Local 51 and Maskwa Engineering. 

R.J. Simpson chosen as next Northwest Territories premier

B.C. housing plans could deliver 293,000 new units over next decade, says premier

B.C. housing plans could deliver 293,000 new units over next decade, says premier
Premier David Eby says the New Democrat government's ambitious homebuilding agenda could result in up to 293,000 new housing units over the next decade. Eby provided details of the housing strategy at a British Columbia Chamber of Commerce luncheon.

B.C. housing plans could deliver 293,000 new units over next decade, says premier