Wednesday, May 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Grain, crop, container shipments up for Prince Rupert port

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 20 Jan, 2025 01:51 PM
  • Grain, crop, container shipments up for Prince Rupert port

The Port of Prince Rupert says cargo shipments were up at its container terminal for liquefied petroleum gas and crop exports, but volume for last year was down by one per cent from 2023. 

The authority says in a statement that 23.1 million tonnes of cargo moved through the port, with metallurgical coal exports falling by 29 per cent and thermal coal down by 22 per cent.

Cruise passenger volume was also down, with 59,400 fewer passengers transiting through the northern B.C. port in 2024 compared with the year before. 

However, the port says its grain terminal saw a 26 per cent increase in crop exports, container shipments rose five per cent and 2.3 million tonnes of liquefied petroleum gas was shipped for a 15 per cent increase year-over-year. 

The statement says that despite the slight decrease in annual volume, the port is improving its competitiveness by diversifying through the development of its new terminal and logistics capacity, allowing it to cushion against market fluctuations.

Port president Shaun Stevenson says a historic period of expansion is taking place with over $2.5 billion in capital investment in the port to enhance services, capacity, capabilities and to diversify markets to help it maintain its competitive edge.

MORE National ARTICLES

Fall legislative sitting scrapped in B.C. as Speaker Chouhan confirmed to serve again

Fall legislative sitting scrapped in B.C. as Speaker Chouhan confirmed to serve again
There won't be a sitting of the British Columbia legislature this fall as originally planned. The Office of the Premier issued a brief statement Friday saying that Raj Chouhan has been confirmed to serve again as the Speaker of the legislature, so there is no need to hold a sitting. 

Fall legislative sitting scrapped in B.C. as Speaker Chouhan confirmed to serve again

Former Quebec pension fund workers charged in U.S. in Indian government bribery case

Former Quebec pension fund workers charged in U.S. in Indian government bribery case
Quebec’s pension fund manager says it is co-operating with United States authorities after three former employees were indicted in federal court in Brooklyn, N.Y., in an alleged scheme to give hundreds of millions of dollars in bribes to the Indian government. The U.S. Attorney's Office says the trio were involved between 2020 and 2024 in a plot to pay more than US$250 million in bribes to Indian officials and to deceive investors and banks to secure contracts worth billions of dollars with a solar energy company.

Former Quebec pension fund workers charged in U.S. in Indian government bribery case

Man arrested on allegations he threatened police while livestreaming: Richmond RCMP

Man arrested on allegations he threatened police while livestreaming: Richmond RCMP
Mounties in Richmond say a man has been arrested for allegedly uttering threats against police while livestreaming on a social media platform. RCMP say they received the complaint about the man on Friday morning as he stood outside Richmond City Hall.

Man arrested on allegations he threatened police while livestreaming: Richmond RCMP

Snowfall warnings for BC highways

Snowfall warnings for BC highways
Environment Canada has issued snowfall warnings along two highways due to a fall storm moving across southern B-C. It says the Coquihalla Summit from Hope to Merritt is expected to get about 15 centimetres of snow today.

Snowfall warnings for BC highways

No evidence linking Modi to criminal activity in Canada: national security adviser

No evidence linking Modi to criminal activity in Canada: national security adviser
A senior official says the Canadian government is not aware of any evidence linking Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi to alleged criminal activity perpetrated by Indian agents on Canadian soil. Nathalie Drouin, the national security adviser to Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, also says there is no evidence pointing to India's External Affairs Minister Subrahmanyam Jaishankar or national security adviser Ajit Doval.

No evidence linking Modi to criminal activity in Canada: national security adviser

Meta fights CRTC, refuses to publicly release info on news blocking measures

Meta fights CRTC, refuses to publicly release info on news blocking measures
Meta is refusing to publicly disclose information that could determine whether it is subject to the Online News Act despite blocking news from its platforms. It has declined to follow CRTC directions to either publicly release that information or explain in detail why it should remain confidential, a move that Heritage Minister Pascale St-Onge’s office says sends "a troubling message."

Meta fights CRTC, refuses to publicly release info on news blocking measures