Sunday, May 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Hackers may have accessed 22 B.C. government inboxes, data on 19 employees: Farnworth

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 03 Jun, 2024 04:21 PM
  • Hackers may have accessed 22 B.C. government inboxes, data on 19 employees: Farnworth

Twenty-two British Columbia government email inboxes with sensitive personal information on 19 employees may have been accessed during a cyber attack on the province's networks, the minister of public safety said on Monday.

Mike Farnworth said there's no indication the general public's information was compromised and investigators have not identified any misuse of the information the criminals may have accessed.

"A handful of these inboxes contain sensitive personal information on 19 individuals. These were employee files, and with one exception being an employee who had family information on their inbox," he said.

Farnworth said the investigation into the attacks in April, which were made public in May, is continuing and evidence still points to state or state-sponsored actors as those responsible.

The minister would not provide details on where the employees work who were swept up in the breach, but said they are with the public service, not the government cabinet.

When the hack was revealed, Farnworth said the province upgraded its security systems in 2022, and it was those measures that detected the attacks.

The government said the incidents were first noticed on April 10 and confirmed the next day. A second attempted attack took place on April 29th.

Farnworth said on Monday that there are about 1.5 billion attempts a day to access government systems.

He said the Ministry of Citizen Services has a team of 76 people whose sole job is "ensuring the integrity and the security of the networks," and that each ministry has its own staff dedicated to cyber issues.

"We know that cyber attacks have been increasing not just here, but in fact it's a global issue, both in terms of governments and the private sector," he said. 

Farnworth said the employees have been notified and will be receiving credit monitoring and help with identity protection.

The hack is one of several recent cyber breaches in the province, including one at the First Nations Health Authority and an attack that forced retailer London Drugs to shut down stores across Western Canada for more than a week. 

An April 2022 Public Safety Canada parliamentary hearing on "Countering Hostile Activities by State Actors," discussed threats posed to democracy by state actors looking to erode trust in democratic institutions and stoke tensions over government policies.

"In recent years, Canada has seen an increase in the frequency and sophistication of hostile activities by state actors, like Russia, seeking to advance their political, economic and security interests to the detriment of Canada’s," said official hearing notes.

"The government of Canada remains steadfastly committed to combating foreign interference by any foreign state seeking to harm Canada, to protecting our democratic institutions and to promoting economic security," the notes said.

MORE National ARTICLES

Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program
The federal government has awarded a contract worth up to $15 million to lay the groundwork for a new national dental insurance plan. The new plan, which was a key demand from the NDP as part of the its supply and confidence agreement with the governing Liberals, will replace the interim dental benefit for kids rolled out last year.

Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

Rental of B.C. school for Sikh referendum vote is cancelled by district

Rental of B.C. school for Sikh referendum vote is cancelled by district
The Surrey School District says in a statement that it cancelled the rental of Tamanawis Secondary School for the Sept. 10 referendum because promotional posters featured a picture of the school alongside what it called "images of a weapon."  

Rental of B.C. school for Sikh referendum vote is cancelled by district

B.C. residents tour wildfire razing in area that has 'changed dramatically:' district

B.C. residents tour wildfire razing in area that has 'changed dramatically:' district
Some residents of one of the regions most devastated by wildfires in British Columbia will be touring the burned-out site today. The Columbia Shuswap Regional District says in a statement that "some areas of the community have changed dramatically" after the Bush Creek East wildfire swept through, destroying or damaging as many as 200 homes.

B.C. residents tour wildfire razing in area that has 'changed dramatically:' district

ASEAN eyes Canada as anchor of peace in Indo-Pacific region

ASEAN eyes Canada as anchor of peace in Indo-Pacific region
The partnership with the Association of Southeast Asian Nations is considered a symbolic gesture that reflects Canada's expanded presence in the Indo-Pacific region. Trudeau, in a speech to ASEAN leaders Wednesday, said it shows the progress being made on a free-trade agreement between Canada and the 10-nation bloc.

ASEAN eyes Canada as anchor of peace in Indo-Pacific region

Weakening economy convinces BoC to hold key rate, but door to more hikes stays open

Weakening economy convinces BoC to hold key rate, but door to more hikes stays open
The Bank of Canada held its key interest rate steady at five percent on Wednesday, deciding against another rate hike as the economy begins to falter. Inflation is expected to continue oscillating around three percent for months to come.   

Weakening economy convinces BoC to hold key rate, but door to more hikes stays open

Break & Enter in Vancouver home

Break & Enter in Vancouver home
Two people have been charged after a home invasion where police say the suspects may have either targeted the wrong home or were looking for someone who wasn’t there. Vancouver police say an 89-year-old grandmother was injured and nine teens left badly shaken, after two people forced their way into a home shortly before midnight on August 24th.

Break & Enter in Vancouver home