Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Hantavirus testing might not be useful for people without symptoms: experts

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 12 May, 2026 09:02 AM
  • Hantavirus testing might not be useful for people without symptoms: experts

Health experts say it's not clear whether it's useful to test people who may have been exposed to hantavirus but don't have symptoms. 

Dr. Bonnie Henry, British Columbia's provincial health officer, says public health officials around the world are discussing the issue as passengers from a hantavirus-stricken cruise ship have returned to their home countries.  

She says tests for some viruses aren't effective before patients develop symptoms and little is known about how well testing works in rare cases of hantavirus. 

Henry says if any of the 10 people in Canada who may have been exposed to the virus develop symptoms, health officials are ready to test and treat them. 

She says there are two types of blood tests for hantaviruses — one that checks for antibodies and a PCR test that detects pieces of the virus itself.  

University of Saskatchewan hantavirus scientist Bryce Warner says health officials are in a "unique" situation because doctors wouldn't normally have any reason to suspect the rare virus until a patient is showing signs of illness. 

Warner, who works at the university's Vaccine and Infectious Disease Organization, says a negative test in someone without symptoms wouldn't necessarily mean they don't have hantavirus. 

"Because the incubation period can be several weeks, if you did a test in the first week and it was negative by PCR you can't just say 'OK I'm negative.' It could take another week or two or three really for that to come up as positive," he said. 

The number of positive cases internationally has grown since the evacuation of the MV Hondius ship Sunday on an island in Spain’s Canary Islands. On Tuesday, Spain’s health ministry announced that a passenger evacuated from the ship had tested positive for the virus. 

American and French officials confirmed two more people had tested positive a day earlier. The American passenger tested positive but did not have symptoms and was being monitored in the Nebraska Biocontainment Unit, said Kayla Thomas, a spokesperson for the Nebraska Medicine hospital caring for passengers.

That brings the total number of deaths to three and cases to 11, all among passengers and crew, the director of the World Health Organization ​said Tuesday in Madrid. No additional deaths have been reported since May 2. 

"At the moment, there is no sign that we are seeing the start of a larger outbreak. But of course, the situation could change. And given the long incubation period of the virus, it’s possible we might see more cases in the coming weeks, " Dr. Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said. 

Public health officials and infectious disease physicians have stressed that Andes virus — the type of hantavirus that hit the ship and the only kind known to spread person-to-person — requires close and prolonged contact and that it is not a pandemic threat.  

Picture Courtesy: AP Photo/Arturo Rodriguez

MORE National ARTICLES

Teens face 1st degree murder charges in First Nations double homicide

Teens face 1st degree murder charges in First Nations double homicide
Prosecutors say two teens apprehended last week in connection with a double homicide in a First Nations community in northern Quebec are facing first-degree murder charges.

Teens face 1st degree murder charges in First Nations double homicide

Canadians sitting on $2 billion in uncashed federal cheques: documents

Canadians sitting on $2 billion in uncashed federal cheques: documents
Canadians have left some $2 billion in funds on the table by not cashing millions of paper cheques mailed out by federal government departments.

Canadians sitting on $2 billion in uncashed federal cheques: documents

Conservatives, Poilievre seek to carry convention momentum back into Parliament

Conservatives, Poilievre seek to carry convention momentum back into Parliament
Political analysts say the federal Conservatives and leader Pierre Poilievre have momentum coming off a unifying convention in Calgary but the party still has a hill to climb in Parliament to one-up Prime Minster Mark Carney and the Liberals.

Conservatives, Poilievre seek to carry convention momentum back into Parliament

Conservatives vote to keep Pierre Poilievre as leader after speech in Calgary

Conservatives vote to keep Pierre Poilievre as leader after speech in Calgary
Pierre Poilievre's position as Conservative leader was cemented Friday after 87.4 per cent of delegates voted in a mandatory leadership review to keep him at the helm of their party.

Conservatives vote to keep Pierre Poilievre as leader after speech in Calgary

Canada denied Jeffrey Epstein permission to visit B.C. in 2018: documents

Canada denied Jeffrey Epstein permission to visit B.C. in 2018: documents
The Canadian government denied convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein permission to enter the country in 2018 due to his criminal past, newly released U.S. government documents reveal.

Canada denied Jeffrey Epstein permission to visit B.C. in 2018: documents

Canadian man pleads guilty to sexually exploiting 100-plus girls in the United States

Canadian man pleads guilty to sexually exploiting 100-plus girls in the United States
A 40-year-old man from Toronto has pleaded guilty in the United States for sexually exploiting more than 100 children on social media.

Canadian man pleads guilty to sexually exploiting 100-plus girls in the United States