Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

Head of Canada's diplomatic service holds interference briefing for foreign diplomats

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 04 Dec, 2024 12:40 PM
  • Head of Canada's diplomatic service holds interference briefing for foreign diplomats

The head of Canada's diplomatic service says he recently briefed diplomats working in Canada about where their work might cross the line from influence into foreign interference.

Deputy Foreign Affairs Minister David Morrison tells The Canadian Press that the ongoing inquiry into foreign interference and extensive media coverage might have created uncertainty around the issue.

He says diplomats have "legitimate questions" as to where Canada draws the line.

Morrison says the international agreements governing the roles of diplomats apply everywhere but aren't consistently understood, with some countries thinking everything is acceptable as long nobody is moving around ballot boxes.

He says some diplomats have privately expressed confusion about what is acceptable such as whether they can pose for a photo with elected officials at diaspora events.

Looking ahead to next year's election, Morrison says he's most concerned about artificial intelligence emboldening attacks from hostile states, particularly with deepfakes which are digitally generated videos and images that spoof people into thinking someone said or did something.

MORE National ARTICLES

Canada's foreign worker program 'breeding ground' for modern slavery: report

Canada's foreign worker program 'breeding ground' for modern slavery: report
A recently released international report says Canada's temporary foreign worker program is a "breeding ground" for contemporary slavery. The final report by a United Nations special rapporteur who visited Canada last year says a power imbalance prevents workers from exercising their rights.

Canada's foreign worker program 'breeding ground' for modern slavery: report

Surrey Mayor to review penalties for fire ban violations

Surrey Mayor to review penalties for fire ban violations
Surrey Mayor Brenda Locke has directed staff to conduct a review of financial penalties for violating fire bans in an effort to potentially increase the fines. It comes after the city says its fire department has responded to more than 400 brush and grass fires since May 1st, most of which were caused by human activity.

Surrey Mayor to review penalties for fire ban violations

19 year old charged in extortion crimes

19 year old charged in extortion crimes
Police in Metro Vancouver say a 19-year-old man has been charged with almost two dozen offences related to the alleged online sexual extortion of teenagers. Burnaby R-C-M-P say the investigation began after victims in Nova Scotia, Quebec and Ontario reported to local police that they were being extorted for money after sharing explicit images with someone they met on social media platforms.

19 year old charged in extortion crimes

Canadians should be prepared for more wildfires and hurricanes: Environment Canada

Canadians should be prepared for more wildfires and hurricanes: Environment Canada
Human-caused climate change is making heat waves much more likely, the federal government says, bringing extreme weather from fires to storms. That's according to Environment and Climate Change Canada's rapid extreme weather event attribution system, which compares today's climate to a pre-industrial one.

Canadians should be prepared for more wildfires and hurricanes: Environment Canada

B.C. fruit group files for creditor protection after crop losses, 'liquidity crisis'

B.C. fruit group files for creditor protection after crop losses, 'liquidity crisis'
A statement from the BC Tree Fruits Cooperative issued Monday says the decision to file for creditor protection stems from the group's "liquidity crisis," with stone fruit crops damaged by weather identified as "the final tipping point" in a series of factors.

B.C. fruit group files for creditor protection after crop losses, 'liquidity crisis'

Suspect arrested, second sought in deadly shooting east of Calgary

Suspect arrested, second sought in deadly shooting east of Calgary
RCMP in Alberta say one of two suspects wanted in a deadly shooting east of Calgary last week has been arrested, but the search continues for the other. With assistance from the Edmonton Police Service, Mounties announced Monday night they arrested a 35-year-old suspect in the Alberta capital on August 8.

Suspect arrested, second sought in deadly shooting east of Calgary