Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Head of Canada's diplomatic service holds interference briefing for foreign diplomats

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 04 Dec, 2024 12:40 PM
  • Head of Canada's diplomatic service holds interference briefing for foreign diplomats

The head of Canada's diplomatic service says he recently briefed diplomats working in Canada about where their work might cross the line from influence into foreign interference.

Deputy Foreign Affairs Minister David Morrison tells The Canadian Press that the ongoing inquiry into foreign interference and extensive media coverage might have created uncertainty around the issue.

He says diplomats have "legitimate questions" as to where Canada draws the line.

Morrison says the international agreements governing the roles of diplomats apply everywhere but aren't consistently understood, with some countries thinking everything is acceptable as long nobody is moving around ballot boxes.

He says some diplomats have privately expressed confusion about what is acceptable such as whether they can pose for a photo with elected officials at diaspora events.

Looking ahead to next year's election, Morrison says he's most concerned about artificial intelligence emboldening attacks from hostile states, particularly with deepfakes which are digitally generated videos and images that spoof people into thinking someone said or did something.

MORE National ARTICLES

Northern Health employees pose as fraudsters

Northern Health employees pose as fraudsters
Police in Prince George say fraudsters are posing as Northern Health employees and going door to door.  R-C-M-P say they're investigating reports of people claiming to be Northern Health or Fire Smart employees, two weeks after the health authority warned the public about fraudulent phone calls promising prizes or a free home safety inspection. 

Northern Health employees pose as fraudsters

New robot assisted surgery coming for Burnaby General Hospital and Fraser Health

New robot assisted surgery coming for Burnaby General Hospital and Fraser Health
Burnaby Hospital and Fraser Health say a new robot assisted surgery system is set to be put into action, the first in Western Canada.  The Burnaby Hospital Foundation and the health authority say teams are now training on the Mako Robotic-Arm Assisted, a 2.3 three million dollar addition to the hospital's Jim Pattison Surgery Centre. 

New robot assisted surgery coming for Burnaby General Hospital and Fraser Health

Arrest made in last year's over 20M gold heist at Toronto's Pearson airport

Arrest made in last year's over 20M gold heist at Toronto's Pearson airport
Police have charged nine people in the Hollywood movie-worthy heist of nearly 24-million dollars in cash and gold one year ago today at Toronto's Pearson airport. They include two men who worked for Air Canada and an alleged gun trafficker.

Arrest made in last year's over 20M gold heist at Toronto's Pearson airport

B.C. construction sector seeks support as workers shortage, late payments persist

B.C. construction sector seeks support as workers shortage, late payments persist
British Columbia's construction industry says its workforce numbers have improved in recent years, but labour shortages persist and are putting "extreme pressures" on employers. The BC Construction Association says the shortage of qualified workers has pushed the average annual wage in the sector to just short of $75,000, up 21 per cent in the last five years.

B.C. construction sector seeks support as workers shortage, late payments persist

Burnaby man charged with 2nd degree murder

Burnaby man charged with 2nd degree murder
A Burnaby man has been charged with second-degree murder for his involvement in a stabbing in Vancouver earlier this month. Vancouver police say the 29-year-old suspect was arrested on April 4th, a day after a 49-year-old woman was found dead just north of Fraserview Golf Course.

Burnaby man charged with 2nd degree murder

B.C. man who pushed senior during dispute outside Costco loses manslaughter appeal

B.C. man who pushed senior during dispute outside Costco loses manslaughter appeal
The B.C. Court of Appeal has upheld the manslaughter conviction of a man who claimed he lashed out in self defence, in part because of his claustrophobia, resulting in an elderly man's death at a Vancouver Costco in 2017.  A ruling released Monday says Thomas Toth was convicted of manslaughter in 2020, three years after he got into a physical altercation with 86-year-old Orlando Ocampo "that had tragic consequences." 

B.C. man who pushed senior during dispute outside Costco loses manslaughter appeal