Thursday, May 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

Hearing continues in Meng Wanzhou extradition case

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 23 Nov, 2020 07:13 PM
  • Hearing continues in Meng Wanzhou extradition case

A hearing continues today in the extradition case of Huawei executive Meng Wanzhou, who was arrested at the Vancouver airport in 2018 at the request of American officials.

B.C. Supreme Court heard last week the border officer who led Meng's immigration exam before her arrest doesn't believe RCMP asked him to collect the passcodes to her phones.

Sowmith Katragadda told an evidence-gathering hearing he couldn't recall where the idea came from.

The court has heard the passcodes were collected as part of the border exam process and shared with the Mounties by mistake, along with Meng's electronic devices.

Meng is wanted in the United States on fraud charges based on allegations related to American sanctions against Iran that both she and Chinese tech giant Huawei deny.

Her lawyers are collecting information they hope will support their allegation that Canadian officers improperly gathered evidence under the guise of a routine border exam.

MORE National ARTICLES

Provinces crack down as COVID cases soar

Provinces crack down as COVID cases soar
Canada's top public health official, Dr. Theresa Tam, said it's too soon to declare a second wave of the pandemic in the country, but daily case counts are increasing at an alarming rate.

Provinces crack down as COVID cases soar

Infectious diseases plunge amid COVID measures

Infectious diseases plunge amid COVID measures
While experts say delayed diagnoses likely contributed to the drop in reported cases, the numbers are nevertheless stark.

Infectious diseases plunge amid COVID measures

Youth vaping less during pandemic:survey

Youth vaping less during pandemic:survey
It found that respondents decreased vaping to five days per week from six, on average. They also cut back to an average of 19 vaping episodes per day, down from 30.

Youth vaping less during pandemic:survey

Man gets 7 years for death of gas station owner

Man gets 7 years for death of gas station owner
Mitchell Robert Sydlowski, 29, appeared Friday by video link in the Court of Queen's Bench in Wetaskiwin, Alta.

Man gets 7 years for death of gas station owner

WATCH: Indo Canadian Wrestler from Surrey Suspended

WATCH:  Indo Canadian Wrestler from Surrey Suspended
WATCH: Jason Bains, a University of the Fraser Valley Cascades wrestler has received a four-year ban and had his national silver medal removed for using a banned substance.

WATCH: Indo Canadian Wrestler from Surrey Suspended

Premiers issue wish list for federal throne speech

Premiers issue wish list for federal throne speech
He was joined by Quebec Premier François Legault, Alberta's Jason Kenney and Brian Pallister of Manitoba, who held a news conference in Ottawa to spell out what they hope to see in the speech

Premiers issue wish list for federal throne speech