Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Heat warnings covering parts of southern B.C. expand into Metro Vancouver

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 11 Aug, 2025 08:56 AM
  • Heat warnings covering parts of southern B.C. expand into Metro Vancouver

Heat warnings across parts of southern British Columbia and Vancouver Island over the weekend have been extended into Metro Vancouver.

Environment Canada says a heat warning is active for both Metro Vancouver and the Fraser Valley for the next two days, with temperatures possibly reaching 33 C.

The temperature is not expected to drop below 17 C overnight, and the weather agency says the warnings are expected to persist until Wednesday.

Environment Canada had issued warnings Saturday for regions including Fraser Canyon, South Thompson, South Okanagan, Howe Sound, Whistler and Pemberton, as well as inland and eastern Vancouver Island.

Those warnings have also been extended through Tuesday, with the temperature expected to reach 35 C in Fraser Canyon, South Thompson and South Okanagan.

Daily daytime high records were broken in several communities Sunday, with Nanaimo hitting 34.2 C, breaking a record set in 1981, while Sechelt's 31.6 C displaced a record from 1956.

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Ethan Cairns

MORE National ARTICLES

No 'traitors' in Parliament, but more steps needed to counter interference: report

No 'traitors' in Parliament, but more steps needed to counter interference: report
In her final report released Tuesday, inquiry Commissioner Marie-Josée Hogue concludes that while the threat of foreign interference is real, Canada's democratic institutions have held up well against the dangers.

No 'traitors' in Parliament, but more steps needed to counter interference: report

Bridge over Okanagan Lake in B.C. reopens after bomb scare, fire in van

Bridge over Okanagan Lake in B.C. reopens after bomb scare, fire in van
Police have reopened a bridge across Okanagan Lake in the B.C. Interior after an explosives scare that shut it down for about 11 hours. Officers say the incident began early Monday morning when a man parked a white panel van across multiple lanes of the William R. Bennett Bridge and posted online remarks about the contents.

Bridge over Okanagan Lake in B.C. reopens after bomb scare, fire in van

Kelowna Bridge has reopens after an overnight closure prompted by a call about a person in crisis

Kelowna Bridge has reopens after an overnight closure prompted by a call about a person in crisis
Police in Kelowna say the William Bennet Bridge has reopened after an overnight closure that was prompted by a call about a person in crisis. RCMP say officers had responded at about 3:45 a-m, finding the person had parked a vehicle across the eastbound lanes of the bridge.

Kelowna Bridge has reopens after an overnight closure prompted by a call about a person in crisis

Two people are facing charges in Prince George after police seized drugs and guns during an attempted traffic stop

Two people are facing charges in Prince George after police seized drugs and guns during an attempted traffic stop
Two people are facing charges in Prince George after police seized drugs and guns during an attempted traffic stop. R-C-M-P say officers were patrolling along Highway 97 last week when they tried to stop a driver who they allegedly saw committing motor vehicle infractions.

Two people are facing charges in Prince George after police seized drugs and guns during an attempted traffic stop

One dead after a single-vehicle rollover crash in Delta

One dead after a single-vehicle rollover crash in Delta
One person is dead after a single-vehicle rollover crash in Metro Vancouver. Police in Delta say it happened last night along Highway 99, near the exit for Highway 17, where a pick-up truck crashed into a barrier before rolling onto its roof.

One dead after a single-vehicle rollover crash in Delta

Ford's decision to speed up alcohol sales expansion will cost province $612M: report

Ford's decision to speed up alcohol sales expansion will cost province $612M: report
Premier Doug Ford's decision to speed up the rollout of alcohol sales in corner stores — which first sparked early election speculation last spring — will cost the province more than $600 million, Ontario's budget watchdog said Monday. That's nearly three times the amount the Progressive Conservative government said it would cost to accelerate the timeline.

Ford's decision to speed up alcohol sales expansion will cost province $612M: report