Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Heat warnings covering parts of southern B.C. expand into Metro Vancouver

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 11 Aug, 2025 08:56 AM
  • Heat warnings covering parts of southern B.C. expand into Metro Vancouver

Heat warnings across parts of southern British Columbia and Vancouver Island over the weekend have been extended into Metro Vancouver.

Environment Canada says a heat warning is active for both Metro Vancouver and the Fraser Valley for the next two days, with temperatures possibly reaching 33 C.

The temperature is not expected to drop below 17 C overnight, and the weather agency says the warnings are expected to persist until Wednesday.

Environment Canada had issued warnings Saturday for regions including Fraser Canyon, South Thompson, South Okanagan, Howe Sound, Whistler and Pemberton, as well as inland and eastern Vancouver Island.

Those warnings have also been extended through Tuesday, with the temperature expected to reach 35 C in Fraser Canyon, South Thompson and South Okanagan.

Daily daytime high records were broken in several communities Sunday, with Nanaimo hitting 34.2 C, breaking a record set in 1981, while Sechelt's 31.6 C displaced a record from 1956.

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Ethan Cairns

MORE National ARTICLES

Nearly 500 B.C. residents received an organ transplant in 2024

Nearly 500 B.C. residents received an organ transplant in 2024
Health authorities in British Columbia say nearly 500 people in the province received a life-saving organ transplant last year. The Provincial Health Services Authority, BC Transplant and the Ministry of Health say in a joint news release that 481 transplants in 2024 came from more than 200 donors.

Nearly 500 B.C. residents received an organ transplant in 2024

Premiers, prime minister meet to talk Trump tariffs after cabinet retreat

Premiers, prime minister meet to talk Trump tariffs after cabinet retreat
Canada's premiers are meeting virtually with the prime minister today to talk about Donald Trump's early moves as president and the looming threat of tariffs. The first ministers have committed to weekly meetings now that Trump has been installed in the White House.

Premiers, prime minister meet to talk Trump tariffs after cabinet retreat

B.C. Premier David Eby asks Canadians to think carefully about spending money in U.S.

B.C. Premier David Eby asks Canadians to think carefully about spending money in U.S.
Trump's proposed 25 per cent tariffs on Canadian exports would be a "deliberate economic attack" on B.C. families and people should think carefully about spending money in a country that wants to do them economic harm, Eby said during a news conference in Vancouver on Tuesday.

B.C. Premier David Eby asks Canadians to think carefully about spending money in U.S.

Poilievre says he wants to cut the federal public service, doesn't mind remote work

Poilievre says he wants to cut the federal public service, doesn't mind remote work
Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre says a government led by him would cut the number of federal public servants — but he doesn't mind if they work from home. When asked by Radio-Canada on Tuesday if U.S. President Donald Trump’s executive order sending federal workers back to the office five days a week is a good idea, Poilievre said that what matters is whether public servants do the work.

Poilievre says he wants to cut the federal public service, doesn't mind remote work

CAF updates entry medical standards to aid recruitment efforts

CAF updates entry medical standards to aid recruitment efforts
The Canadian Armed Forces is no longer automatically disqualifying applicants with certain medical conditions such as allergies and ADHD, as it works to improve its numbers and grow the size of Canada's military.

CAF updates entry medical standards to aid recruitment efforts

Snowboarding Jan. 6 rioter still in B.C. custody after Trump pardon

Snowboarding Jan. 6 rioter still in B.C. custody after Trump pardon
An American man recently found guilty of rioting at the U.S. Capitol four years ago remains in immigration custody in British Columbia, even after being given a presidential pardon for his actions. But the lawyer for 32-year-old Anthony Vo says his client plans to drop his asylum claim in Canada and he expects to be returned to the United States, possibly as early as this week. 

Snowboarding Jan. 6 rioter still in B.C. custody after Trump pardon