Friday, February 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Heat warnings covering parts of southern B.C. expand into Metro Vancouver

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 11 Aug, 2025 08:56 AM
  • Heat warnings covering parts of southern B.C. expand into Metro Vancouver

Heat warnings across parts of southern British Columbia and Vancouver Island over the weekend have been extended into Metro Vancouver.

Environment Canada says a heat warning is active for both Metro Vancouver and the Fraser Valley for the next two days, with temperatures possibly reaching 33 C.

The temperature is not expected to drop below 17 C overnight, and the weather agency says the warnings are expected to persist until Wednesday.

Environment Canada had issued warnings Saturday for regions including Fraser Canyon, South Thompson, South Okanagan, Howe Sound, Whistler and Pemberton, as well as inland and eastern Vancouver Island.

Those warnings have also been extended through Tuesday, with the temperature expected to reach 35 C in Fraser Canyon, South Thompson and South Okanagan.

Daily daytime high records were broken in several communities Sunday, with Nanaimo hitting 34.2 C, breaking a record set in 1981, while Sechelt's 31.6 C displaced a record from 1956.

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Ethan Cairns

MORE National ARTICLES

Finance Minister Chrystia Freeland quits cabinet the day of fall economic statement

Finance Minister Chrystia Freeland quits cabinet the day of fall economic statement
Finance Minister Chrystia Freeland has resigned from cabinet on the day she is set to present the government's fall economic statement. In a resignation letter posted to social media, she said Prime Minister Justin Trudeau offered her another role in cabinet on Friday, but that the only "honest and viable path" is to leave cabinet. 

Finance Minister Chrystia Freeland quits cabinet the day of fall economic statement

Canada Post operations to resume on Tuesday, company says

Canada Post operations to resume on Tuesday, company says
The federal government pushed to end the work stoppage last week, when Labour Minister Steven MacKinnon directed the Canada Industrial Relations Board to order the 55,000 picketing employees back to work within days if it determined a deal isn't doable before the end of the year.

Canada Post operations to resume on Tuesday, company says

Justin Trudeau's cabinet bleeds star power on day of key economic update

Justin Trudeau's cabinet bleeds star power on day of key economic update
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau's government is reeling as he loses top cabinet ministers, including Finance Minister Chrystia Freeland who was set to release a key economic update on Monday. Freeland made a surprise declaration she's making her exit from cabinet because the prime minister lost faith in her, after she fought back against some of his policy decisions and he wanted to assign her to a new role.

Justin Trudeau's cabinet bleeds star power on day of key economic update

Emergency crews have located one body after mudslide displaced house in B.C.

Emergency crews have located one body after mudslide displaced house in B.C.
Squamish RCMP say emergency crews have recovered the body of one of the two people who may have been home after their residence was hit by the same mudslide that closed the Sea to Sky highway. BC RCMP spokesperson Cpl. James Grandy says the search continues this evening for a second person who remains unaccounted for.

Emergency crews have located one body after mudslide displaced house in B.C.

Interac e-transfer scams making the rounds in New Westminster

Interac e-transfer scams making the rounds in New Westminster
Police in New Westminster are warning the public about Interac e-transfer scams after a resident in the city was defrauded of three-thousand dollars. They say victims of this type of scam often receive an email that prompts them to click a link and enter their banking details.

Interac e-transfer scams making the rounds in New Westminster

New military vessel launched in B.C. bears illustrious naval name

New military vessel launched in B.C. bears illustrious naval name
A Canadian Navy vessel with the name HMCS Protecteur will again set sail, nearly a decade after the last supply ship with its respected legacy was taken out of service. The new joint support ship — the longest naval vessel ever to be built in Canada — was launched at a rainy ceremony at shipbuilder Seaspan's shipyards in North Vancouver, B.C., attended by dignitaries, including Prime Minister Justin Trudeau.

New military vessel launched in B.C. bears illustrious naval name