Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Helicopter team rescues unconscious skier after fall at B.C.'s Mt. Cain

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 13 Jan, 2025 10:42 AM
  • Helicopter team rescues unconscious skier after fall at B.C.'s Mt. Cain

A search and rescue team on Vancouver Island says it rescued a man who suffered a "serious fall" while skiing at Mt. Cain this weekend.

Comox Valley Search & Rescue says in a post to social media that members responded to rescue the unconscious 35-year-old from the mountain's west bowl on Saturday.

It says though the incident happened outside ski boundaries, the ski hill's patrol team sprang to action and began rescue efforts including preparing for air assistance.

The post says that, because the incident was critical and they needed to respond quickly, its members were brought to the scene by helicopter.

It says the skier was on a steep slope and had already been partially stabilized by patrollers and an on-site doctor when search and rescue arrived and conducted a fixed-line rescue.

The post says search and rescue members completed his stabilization and brought the man to the Mt. Cain parking lot, where BC Emergency Health Services took over.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Adventure-seeking B.C. couple were victims found on Nova Scotia island: relative

Adventure-seeking B.C. couple were victims found on Nova Scotia island: relative
The British Columbia couple whose remains recently washed ashore on Nova Scotia's remote Sable Island have been identified as 70-year-old James Brett Clibbery and his 54-year-old wife, Sarah Packwood. Clibbery’s sister, Lynda Spielman, said Tuesday the RCMP had confirmed their identities.

Adventure-seeking B.C. couple were victims found on Nova Scotia island: relative

Fire numbers fall in B.C. as blaze near Golden destroys homes, spurs evacuation

Fire numbers fall in B.C. as blaze near Golden destroys homes, spurs evacuation
The Town of Golden confirmed Thursday that the fire burning south of the community had destroyed "several structures," but it did not provide specifics. It said in a social media post that the 1.33-square-kilometre blaze, known as the Dogtooth Forest Service Road fire, had spread north, but rain and a northern wind are expected to help the fire fight.

Fire numbers fall in B.C. as blaze near Golden destroys homes, spurs evacuation

B.C. lets wineries import grapes for 2024 vintages after 'devastating' winter losses

B.C. lets wineries import grapes for 2024 vintages after 'devastating' winter losses
The B.C. government says wineries can import grapes and juice to make their 2024 vintages after "devastating" losses this winter.  The province says allowing winemakers to import grapes from outside B.C. is a "temporary measure" to prop-up hundreds of wineries and thousands of jobs after freezing weather wiped out this year's harvest. 

B.C. lets wineries import grapes for 2024 vintages after 'devastating' winter losses

90% of B.C. communities adopt province's plans for more small-scale housing

90% of B.C. communities adopt province's plans for more small-scale housing
Almost all British Columbia communities have adopted the provincial government's plan to tackle the housing crisis by allowing more multi-unit homes on properties. The province says nearly 90 per cent of 188 local governments have followed the legislation that would allow for row homes, triplexes and townhouses on former single-home lots. 

90% of B.C. communities adopt province's plans for more small-scale housing

TransLink warns of huge public transport cuts unless '$600m funding gap' is addressed

TransLink warns of huge public transport cuts unless '$600m funding gap' is addressed
Metro Vancouver's transportation provider TransLink is warning of massive service cuts unless a $600-million funding gap is addressed. It says overall transit reductions of up to 50 per cent would be required starting in 2026, eliminating about 145 bus routes and "significantly reducing" SkyTrain, SeaBus and HandyDART services.

TransLink warns of huge public transport cuts unless '$600m funding gap' is addressed

Calgary officials send crews to Jasper fire, explain why evacuation centre shuttered

Calgary officials send crews to Jasper fire, explain why evacuation centre shuttered
Calgary emergency officials say they’re sending crews to help the Jasper wildfire while explaining why they briefly shuttered their evacuation centre just as the fire roared into the townsite and started burning structures. Sue Henry, the head of Calgary’s emergency services, said 19 Calgary crews were headed north to the fire scene.

Calgary officials send crews to Jasper fire, explain why evacuation centre shuttered