Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Helicopter team rescues unconscious skier after fall at B.C.'s Mt. Cain

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 13 Jan, 2025 10:42 AM
  • Helicopter team rescues unconscious skier after fall at B.C.'s Mt. Cain

A search and rescue team on Vancouver Island says it rescued a man who suffered a "serious fall" while skiing at Mt. Cain this weekend.

Comox Valley Search & Rescue says in a post to social media that members responded to rescue the unconscious 35-year-old from the mountain's west bowl on Saturday.

It says though the incident happened outside ski boundaries, the ski hill's patrol team sprang to action and began rescue efforts including preparing for air assistance.

The post says that, because the incident was critical and they needed to respond quickly, its members were brought to the scene by helicopter.

It says the skier was on a steep slope and had already been partially stabilized by patrollers and an on-site doctor when search and rescue arrived and conducted a fixed-line rescue.

The post says search and rescue members completed his stabilization and brought the man to the Mt. Cain parking lot, where BC Emergency Health Services took over.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Highway improvements coming to B.C. northwest, including better Wi-Fi access

Highway improvements coming to B.C. northwest, including better Wi-Fi access
The B.C. and federal governments are jointly providing $195 million for a series of highway improvements in Tahltan Nation territory in the province's northwest. A statement from B.C.'s Ministry of Energy, Mines and Low Carbon Innovation says the funding will enhance road safety, while improving access to services for local communities and for development of critical minerals. 

Highway improvements coming to B.C. northwest, including better Wi-Fi access

Single-use plastic bags banned as next round of B.C. plastic regulations kicks in

Single-use plastic bags banned as next round of B.C. plastic regulations kicks in
Plastic shopping bags and other single-use products are no longer available at British Columbia stores as the government implements the latest step in its plan to phaseout certain plastic items and keep harmful chemicals out of landfills. Businesses may no longer provide single-use plastic shopping bags, and they must charge a minimum of $2 for new reusable bags or 25 cents for new paper bags.

Single-use plastic bags banned as next round of B.C. plastic regulations kicks in

Storms and wind moving in for part of B.C., boosting fire potential: wildfire service

Storms and wind moving in for part of B.C., boosting fire potential: wildfire service
Thunderstorms will be rolling into eastern B.C. by mid-week and winds will pick up, which the BC Wildfire Service says has the potential to increase fire activity in the province. The service says the hot and dry trend that has already led to increased fire activity will continue throughout the southern half of B.C.

Storms and wind moving in for part of B.C., boosting fire potential: wildfire service

Trucker who caused Broncos crash applies to have permanent resident status returned

Trucker who caused Broncos crash applies to have permanent resident status returned
The truck driver who caused the deadly Humboldt Broncos bus crash has applied to have his permanent resident status returned. The Immigration and Refugee Board issued a deportation order in May for Jaskirat Singh Sidhu and his permanent resident status was revoked.

Trucker who caused Broncos crash applies to have permanent resident status returned

One dead in Surrey crash

One dead in Surrey crash
Police in Surrey say a crash early Sunday morning claimed one life and closed a portion of 144th Street.  R-C-M-P say the two-vehicle collision happened just before 5 A-M Sunday at the intersection of 144th and 62nd Avenue. 

One dead in Surrey crash

59-year-old Ajastar Singh facing teen sexual assault charges

59-year-old Ajastar Singh facing teen sexual assault charges
On May 4 of last year Surrey RCMP responded to a report of a sexual assault.  On July 2nd, 59-year-old Ajastar Singh was charged with sexual assault and sexual interference of a person under the age of 16 years.

59-year-old Ajastar Singh facing teen sexual assault charges