Sunday, May 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

High temperatures in B.C. pose 'threat of new wildfires,' wildfire service warns

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 09 May, 2023 09:45 AM
  • High temperatures in B.C. pose 'threat of new wildfires,' wildfire service warns

Rain and cooler temperatures in northeastern British Columbia will help suppression efforts for two out-of-control wildfires, but high temperatures forecast for later this week may pose a new threat, says a BC Wildfire Service spokesman. 

Cliff Chapman, the director of wildfire operations, told a news conference Monday that the area has not received enough precipitation to "knock that hazard down."

"The challenge with the return to above-seasonal temperatures is that it won't only challenge us on the current fires, it's the threat of new wildfires being started as well," he said.

Evacuation orders or alerts remain in place for much of the areas surrounding the Red Creek and Boundary Lake fires, about 1,300 kilometres northeast of Vancouver.

In its latest update, the B.C. Wildfire Service reported the Boundary Lake fire was an estimated 5,900 hectares. The fire at Red Creek sits at 2,800 hectares.

The fires are burning on either side of the city of Fort St. John. 

Matt Troiano, Fort St. John's deputy fire chief and director for the city's Emergency Support Services, said about 100 evacuees have been helped at a reception centre in the city so far.

"We have some cooler weather, less wind, and we're hopeful that this is going to help slow down the progression of the wildfires and get people back into their homes sooner," he said.

The wildfire service said crews have made significant progress on the Boundary Lake fire thanks to cooler temperatures and higher humidity, and containment lines have been constructed around the fire.

Troiano said dense smoke from both nearby wildfires as well as from fires in Alberta had blanketed the city since the end of last week. But he said air quality "had definitely improved" after a recent dip in temperatures and rain Sunday night.

The Peace River Regional District downgraded some areas around the Boundary Lake wildfire from an evacuation order to an alert Sunday night, but an evacuation order for properties in the Red Creek and Lower Cache areas remains in place.

The regional district said 27 homes are still under an evacuation order for the Boundary Lake wildfire and 239 homes are under an alert. 

Sixty one properties remain under an evacuation order for the Red Creek wildfire, and 247 properties are under an alert. 

Peace River Regional District chair Leonard Hiebert said in a statement Sunday that the wildfire situation remains volatile and people need to stay out of areas that have been evacuated to avoid putting lives at risk. 

“We appreciate that it’s important to allow residents to return home as soon as it is safe, so we’re happy to be able to share this update, recognizing that with wildfires, the situation can change quickly."

In a provincial wildfire status update Monday, the service said there are a total of 62 active wildfires across B.C., but 91 per cent of those are under control or being held. The majority of active fires, and all wildfires of note, are in the Prince George Fire Centre. 

It said wildfire crews are also supporting flood responses in the southern interior and Grand Forks region, and a 16-person incident management team has been deployed in Alberta to help with the fire response there. 

MORE National ARTICLES

Ukraine MPs ask Canada for money to buy weapons

Ukraine MPs ask Canada for money to buy weapons
The group of Ukrainian parliamentarians are in Ottawa this week to meet Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and other federal government officials in a desperate bid to secure more support.

Ukraine MPs ask Canada for money to buy weapons

B.C. considers fourth COVID-19 dose: minister

B.C. considers fourth COVID-19 dose: minister
Health Minister Adrian Dix says the province is preparing to provide an update this Tuesday on potentially making a fourth COVID-19 dose available to vulnerable people in British Columbia. The minister says discussions are underway about providing a second booster shot to clinically vulnerable people such as those in long-term care.

B.C. considers fourth COVID-19 dose: minister

249 COVID19 cases for Thursday

249 COVID19 cases for Thursday
There are 281 individuals hospitalized with COVID-19 and 42 are in intensive care. In the past 24 hours, two new deaths (Fraser Health) have been reported, for an overall total of 2,998.

249 COVID19 cases for Thursday

2 youths arrested for an alleged assault involving a machete in Coquitlam

2 youths arrested for an alleged assault involving a machete in Coquitlam
On March 10, 2022, just after 6 p.m., a man was chased into the Burquitlam SkyTrain Station by two suspects, one of whom was seen carrying a large machete. The man attempted to use a pylon to protect himself, while one of the suspects allegedly swung the machete in his direction several times. The machete eventually made contact with the side of the victim’s head.

2 youths arrested for an alleged assault involving a machete in Coquitlam

Federal ministers highlight Russia war crime probe

Federal ministers highlight Russia war crime probe
Harjit Sajjan offered that view as a half dozen extra RCMP investigators head to The Hague to assist in the International Criminal Court investigation of alleged war crimes and crimes against humanity by Russia in its invasion of Ukraine.

Federal ministers highlight Russia war crime probe

NATO estimate of Canadian defence spending dips

NATO estimate of Canadian defence spending dips
NATO estimated last June that Canada would spend about 1.39 per cent of its national GDP on defence in 2021. Defence Minister Anita Anand says this morning that the government has committed to increase defence spending, noting a federal budget will be presented next week.

NATO estimate of Canadian defence spending dips