Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

High-speed rail construction could begin in four years, LeBlanc says

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 12 Sep, 2025 08:11 AM
  • High-speed rail construction could begin in four years, LeBlanc says

The federal government wants construction on a planned high-speed rail line between Toronto and Quebec City to begin within four years. 

On Thursday, Canada-U.S. Trade Minister Dominic LeBlanc said the government's new major projects office will work to speed up engineering and regulatory work on the Alto high-speed rail line. 

"This is a very exciting project in a very densely populated area," he told reporters at a press conference in Montreal. 

LeBlanc made the comments at the Port of Montreal, where a planned expansion is among the first five projects under consideration for fast-track approval through the federal government's major projects office.

Alto was not among the five projects unveiled Thursday, but the government has listed it with others identified for future development.

Former prime minister Justin Trudeau announced in February that Ottawa had awarded a $3.9-billion, six-year contract to a consortium to design the project. If completed, the 1,000-kilometre high-speed rail network would take passengers from Montreal to Toronto in just three hours on trains travelling up to 300 kilometres an hour.

On Thursday, LeBlanc said the work over the next four years would determine the final route between Toronto and Quebec City. "Imagine the assessments, imagine the Indigenous consultations along a 1000-kilometre route," he said. "It represents a significant, significant undertaking."

He said roughly half of Canada's population lives along the high-speed rail corridor. 

LeBlanc said it would have taken eight years to begin construction of the rail project, without the assistance of the major projects office, though it's unclear where that number comes from. The design contract announced in February was for six years. At the time, Trudeau said the development phase might only last four to five years. 

Alto did not immediately respond to questions from The Canadian Press. LeBlanc did not say when Ottawa hopes to see the first phase of the project up and running. 

Alto CEO Martin Imbleau has estimated the total cost of the high-speed rail project at between $60 billion and $90 billion. 

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Christopher Katsarov

MORE National ARTICLES

Trump bump: U.S. citizenship renunciation inquiries surge in Canada, lawyers say

Trump bump: U.S. citizenship renunciation inquiries surge in Canada, lawyers say
For more than a decade, Wisconsin native Douglas Cowgill has helped Americans in Canada navigate the complex task of renouncing their U.S. citizenship, cutting themselves loose from that nation's Internal Revenue Service in the process. But it was only in 2023 that Cowgill — a dual citizen at the time with a Canadian wife and family — took the plunge himself.

Trump bump: U.S. citizenship renunciation inquiries surge in Canada, lawyers say

Historic $32.5B tobacco proposal faces final test in series of hearings

Historic $32.5B tobacco proposal faces final test in series of hearings
The proposed $32.5-billion settlement between the companies — JTI-Macdonald Corp., Rothmans, Benson & Hedges and Imperial Tobacco Canada Ltd. — and their creditors received unanimous support from those creditors in a vote last month and must now obtain the court’s approval.

Historic $32.5B tobacco proposal faces final test in series of hearings

Hitmen face sentencing for B.C. murder of former Air India suspect Malik

Hitmen face sentencing for B.C. murder of former Air India suspect Malik
One of the admitted hitmen who killed former Air India bombing suspect Ripudaman Singh Malik is set to be sentenced for his part in the murder today in a New Westminster, B.C., courtroom. Tanner Fox and accomplice Jose Lopez pleaded guilty to second-degree murder last October, with Fox scheduled to be sentenced today, and Lopez due back in court on Friday. 

Hitmen face sentencing for B.C. murder of former Air India suspect Malik

Trudeau, Tusk warn that 'never again' is slipping away amid rising hatred, extremism

Trudeau, Tusk warn that 'never again' is slipping away amid rising hatred, extremism
The notion that "never again" can the world allow something like the Holocaust to happen feels like it is slipping away, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and Polish Prime Minister Donald Tusk both said Tuesday. The two leaders met in Warsaw a day after they joined dozens of other world leaders to mark the 80th anniversary of the liberation of the notorious Nazi death camp Auschwitz.

Trudeau, Tusk warn that 'never again' is slipping away amid rising hatred, extremism

Ontario Premier Doug Ford set to request dissolution of parliament for early election

Ontario Premier Doug Ford set to request dissolution of parliament for early election
Ford has said he is calling the snap election starting Wednesday because he needs a new mandate to deal with U.S. President Donald Trump, including his threat of imposing 25 per cent tariffs on Canadian goods, possibly starting Feb. 1.

Ontario Premier Doug Ford set to request dissolution of parliament for early election

Missing snowboarder found dead on Cypress Mountain, B.C.

Missing snowboarder found dead on Cypress Mountain, B.C.
A 21-year-old snowboarder who went missing last week at the Cypress Mountain Resort near Vancouver has been found dead in a gully.  West Vancouver Police say in a statement the snowboarder from Richmond, B.C., was reported missing Friday at about 10:45 a.m.

Missing snowboarder found dead on Cypress Mountain, B.C.