Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Hot but no emergency say B.C. officials

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 28 Jul, 2022 09:41 AM
  • Hot but no emergency say B.C. officials

p>VANCOUVER - Temperature records are melting across British Columbia as a prolonged heat spell grips the province but Emergency Management BC says it is not anticipating an extreme heat emergency.

A statement from the agency says residents should monitor temperature forecasts and take advantage of cooling stations set up in many communities but it's not expecting a repeat of last year's deadly heat dome that killed more than 600 people.

Environment Canada is maintaining heat warnings for most of B.C. and says 10 daily maximum temperature records were broken Wednesday as the province recorded the top dozen highest temperatures in Canada.

At 42 C, Lytton was the hottest in the province and the country as the weather office says the village broke its previous record for the day of 40 C, set in 1939.

Records tumbled in all corners of B.C., from Vancouver to Bella Bella, Fort St. John and Nelson, and while Pemberton's 39.5 C did not set a record, it tied for fourth-hottest community in Canada, prompting a flood watch for the nearby Lillooet River.

The River Forecast Centre issued the watch for the Pemberton area and Lillooet River system as high elevation snow and glaciers melt, causing what the centre expects will be the highest recorded late-July flows in that region since those measurements began in 1914.

The centre also issued a high streamflow advisory for the Squamish and Elaho rivers and other glacially influenced rivers and creeks in the Sea-to-Sky region north of Vancouver.

"Although rivers and creeks in the Sea-to-Sky are unlikely to reach peak flood levels experienced typically from rain and rain-on-snow events in the fall, the upcoming flows are expected to be the highest experienced in late July," the River Forecast Centre said in a statement issued Wednesday.

"Extreme caution should be taken for those travelling to the backcountry during the current heat event," it said.

Public Safety Minister Mike Farnworth also warned residents to take care as heat is forecast to continue at least until Monday.

“This week and as we head into the B.C. Day long weekend, we are seeing warm temperatures in many parts of the province," Farnworth said in a statement to The Canadian Press.

"I encourage everyone to stay cool and if you know someone who might be at a higher risk for heat illness to check in on them. Many municipalities are opening cooling centres, please check with your municipality, regional district or First Nation for the most-up-to-date information.”

No campfire bans have been imposed in any of B.C.'s six fire centres as the B.C. Day long weekend approaches, but the BC Wildfire Service warns the heat wave is creating potentially dangerous conditions.

"Recent warm and dry conditions indicate fires that start in the coming days are more likely to show increased fire behaviour and faster spread rates as forest fuels continue to dry out," the wildfire service said in a social media post.

The fire danger rating for most of B.C. was ranked as "high" on Thursday, with a large section of the southeast fire centre ranked as "extreme."

The forecast for Thursday included the chance of afternoon thunderstorms over the south Cariboo, North Thompson and Kamloops, while details on the wildfire service website showed 40 active blazes in B.C., with 12 sparked since Tuesday.

Only one wildfire of note was listed in the province and the wildfire service warned Thursday that the nearly 24-square kilometre blaze burning west of Lytton could see flare in the coming days as temperatures in the area remain above 40 C.

But fire officials also described the flames as "stable" as often gusty winds around Lytton had died down Wednesday.

MORE National ARTICLES

Man stabbed in North Delta

Man stabbed in North Delta
The male victim who was suffering from an apparent stab wound drove himself from the scene, and DPD officers located him in Surrey. The victim and the suspect are known to each other and there is no risk to the public. The victim suffered minor injuries and was released from hospital a short time later.  

Man stabbed in North Delta

Girls age 7 & 9 allegedly abducted from their mother's home in Vancouver

Girls age 7 & 9 allegedly abducted from their mother's home in Vancouver
Alana is known to the children and their mother, and there is no indication that either child has been harmed or is in imminent danger. Investigators believe there is no concern for the safety of any other children in the community.

Girls age 7 & 9 allegedly abducted from their mother's home in Vancouver

Surrey RCMP locate body of a male, foul play suspected, IHIT investigates

Surrey RCMP locate body of a male, foul play suspected, IHIT investigates
On Thursday, May 26, 2022 at 8:43 pm, Surrey RCMP was called to Hazelnut Meadows Park located near 140 Street between 68 Avenue and 70 Ave. Upon police attendance, a deceased man was located, whose injuries were consistent with suspected foul play.

Surrey RCMP locate body of a male, foul play suspected, IHIT investigates

Surrey man dies from injuries in shooting

Surrey man dies from injuries in shooting
They say officers had responded to a shots-fired report in the 13,700-block of Grosvenor Road around 9:49 a.m. last Saturday, when they found Brown injured and took him to hospital, where he died on Wednesday.

Surrey man dies from injuries in shooting

Former B.C. clerk to be sentenced July 4

Former B.C. clerk to be sentenced July 4
The fraud charge against Craig James was stayed last week because it was related to the same set of evidence involving nearly $1,900 in claims he made for work attire, so a conviction was not entered on that count.

Former B.C. clerk to be sentenced July 4

Leaf blowers, gas tools axed in Oak Bay, B.C.

Leaf blowers, gas tools axed in Oak Bay, B.C.
Councillors have voted unanimously in favour of a ban on the noisy, fume-producing tools, including chainsaws and lawn mowers. Users, from homeowners to professional landscaping companies, will have three years to phase out gas-powered items.    

Leaf blowers, gas tools axed in Oak Bay, B.C.