Tuesday, May 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

How the rescue of three workers trapped underground in B.C. mine unfolded

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 25 Jul, 2025 11:26 AM
  • How the rescue of three workers trapped underground in B.C. mine unfolded

Three contractors were rescued late Thursday after more than 60 hours trapped underground at the Red Chris gold and copper mine in northern B.C.

Here is a timeline of how the situation unfolded (all times Pacific):

July 22, 2025, 6 a.m. Three contractors working for Hy-Tech Drilling begin work for the day at the mine.

7:47 a.m. The mine experiences the first of what officials call a "localized" ground fall. The three workers go to a refuge station and Newmont says the workers radio that they are safe.

10:30 a.m. 

A second, larger, fall takes place, cutting off communication with the workers. 

July 23, 2025, 10 a.m.

B.C. Premier David Eby, speaking at a news conference in Ontario to mark the end of a premiers' meeting, announces the three workers are trapped.

11 a.m.

Newmont Corp., the operator and majority owner of the mine, says the contractors were working more than 500 metres beyond the area affected by the first fall. It says the workers have enough air, water and food for an "extended stay."

July 24, 2025, 6 a.m. 

Newmont says it has deployed drones to assess the conditions underground, and a pile of debris 20 to 30 metres long and seven to eight metres high is blocking access to the workers. It says a remote-controlled scoop is removing the debris.

2:30 p.m.

Newmont CEO Tom Palmer says the company will conduct a "thorough and independent investigation" into what happened and share details with the rest of the industry.

4:40 p.m.

Newmont holds a news conference where global safety chief Bernard Wessels says there is a "natural flow of air" to the area where the workers are trapped. He says drones have flown over the debris and have found a stable route to the refuge behind it.

6 p.m.

Hy-Tech Drilling releases the names of the workers with permission from their families. They are Kevin Coumbs, Darien Maduke and Jesse Chubaty.

10:50 p.m.

The men are safely brought to the surface after what Newmont calls a "carefully planned and meticulously executed rescue."

July 25, 2025, 7:45 a.m. 

Newmont says open-pit operations at the mine have resumed since that is unrelated to the project the men were working on. The company says the underground area where the rockfall occurred has been secured and no work will resume there "until a full investigation is completed and safety is reassessed."

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Dave Middleton

MORE National ARTICLES

192 toxic drug deaths in B.C. in July, down 15 per cent, says coroner

192 toxic drug deaths in B.C. in July, down 15 per cent, says coroner
The British Columbia Coroners Service says at least 192 people died in July in the province due to unregulated drug toxicity, down 15 per cent from the same month last year. The service says in a release that 1,365 people have died of drug toxicity this year up to the end of July, a rate of death that is also down.

192 toxic drug deaths in B.C. in July, down 15 per cent, says coroner

B.C. revamps building code to allow single stairwells in buildings up to six storeys

B.C. revamps building code to allow single stairwells in buildings up to six storeys
British Columbia is moving to allow buildings up to six storeys to have one exit stairwell instead of two in the government's latest effort to boost housing supply. Housing Minister Ravi Kahlon says in a statement that updating the provincial building code to remove the requirement for a second egress or exit stairwell per floor will facilitate more options for residents who need larger layouts.

B.C. revamps building code to allow single stairwells in buildings up to six storeys

Taskforce ready for 'emergency enhancement' of salmon stocks after B.C. landslide

Taskforce ready for 'emergency enhancement' of salmon stocks after B.C. landslide
A salmon task force that is examining the impact of the massive Chilcotin River landslide in British Columbia says it's prepared for the "emergency enhancement" of fish stocks after the disaster. A statement from the Fisheries Department, which is part of the task force alongside First Nations and the B.C. government, says monitoring has confirmed that sockeye salmon have begun to enter the river.

Taskforce ready for 'emergency enhancement' of salmon stocks after B.C. landslide

140 into 93 won't fit: The math facing B.C. Conservatives as BC United folds campaign

140 into 93 won't fit: The math facing B.C. Conservatives as BC United folds campaign
The suspension of the Official Opposition BC United's election campaign, consolidating its pool of potential candidates with the B.C. Conservative Party, means that dozens from either camp will lose party endorsement. Here's the math on the challenge of putting together a unified slate of candidates under the B.C. Conservative banner ahead of the Oct. 19 provincial election.

140 into 93 won't fit: The math facing B.C. Conservatives as BC United folds campaign

Number of active blazes down

Number of active blazes down
The number of active wildfires continues to tick down. There are 240 active blazes across B-C, with 35 classified as burning out of control.

Number of active blazes down

Earthquake warning system providing seconds of warning is activated in B.C.

Earthquake warning system providing seconds of warning is activated in B.C.
B.C. Minister of Emergency Management and Climate Readiness Bowinn Ma says seismologists have been warning for decades of a major earthquake in the province, and the new system will give "crucial seconds, to 10 seconds" of warning in which to "drop, cover and hold on."

Earthquake warning system providing seconds of warning is activated in B.C.