Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

How the rescue of three workers trapped underground in B.C. mine unfolded

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 25 Jul, 2025 11:26 AM
  • How the rescue of three workers trapped underground in B.C. mine unfolded

Three contractors were rescued late Thursday after more than 60 hours trapped underground at the Red Chris gold and copper mine in northern B.C.

Here is a timeline of how the situation unfolded (all times Pacific):

July 22, 2025, 6 a.m. Three contractors working for Hy-Tech Drilling begin work for the day at the mine.

7:47 a.m. The mine experiences the first of what officials call a "localized" ground fall. The three workers go to a refuge station and Newmont says the workers radio that they are safe.

10:30 a.m. 

A second, larger, fall takes place, cutting off communication with the workers. 

July 23, 2025, 10 a.m.

B.C. Premier David Eby, speaking at a news conference in Ontario to mark the end of a premiers' meeting, announces the three workers are trapped.

11 a.m.

Newmont Corp., the operator and majority owner of the mine, says the contractors were working more than 500 metres beyond the area affected by the first fall. It says the workers have enough air, water and food for an "extended stay."

July 24, 2025, 6 a.m. 

Newmont says it has deployed drones to assess the conditions underground, and a pile of debris 20 to 30 metres long and seven to eight metres high is blocking access to the workers. It says a remote-controlled scoop is removing the debris.

2:30 p.m.

Newmont CEO Tom Palmer says the company will conduct a "thorough and independent investigation" into what happened and share details with the rest of the industry.

4:40 p.m.

Newmont holds a news conference where global safety chief Bernard Wessels says there is a "natural flow of air" to the area where the workers are trapped. He says drones have flown over the debris and have found a stable route to the refuge behind it.

6 p.m.

Hy-Tech Drilling releases the names of the workers with permission from their families. They are Kevin Coumbs, Darien Maduke and Jesse Chubaty.

10:50 p.m.

The men are safely brought to the surface after what Newmont calls a "carefully planned and meticulously executed rescue."

July 25, 2025, 7:45 a.m. 

Newmont says open-pit operations at the mine have resumed since that is unrelated to the project the men were working on. The company says the underground area where the rockfall occurred has been secured and no work will resume there "until a full investigation is completed and safety is reassessed."

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Dave Middleton

MORE National ARTICLES

Canada's foreign worker program 'breeding ground' for modern slavery: report

Canada's foreign worker program 'breeding ground' for modern slavery: report
A recently released international report says Canada's temporary foreign worker program is a "breeding ground" for contemporary slavery. The final report by a United Nations special rapporteur who visited Canada last year says a power imbalance prevents workers from exercising their rights.

Canada's foreign worker program 'breeding ground' for modern slavery: report

Surrey Mayor to review penalties for fire ban violations

Surrey Mayor to review penalties for fire ban violations
Surrey Mayor Brenda Locke has directed staff to conduct a review of financial penalties for violating fire bans in an effort to potentially increase the fines. It comes after the city says its fire department has responded to more than 400 brush and grass fires since May 1st, most of which were caused by human activity.

Surrey Mayor to review penalties for fire ban violations

19 year old charged in extortion crimes

19 year old charged in extortion crimes
Police in Metro Vancouver say a 19-year-old man has been charged with almost two dozen offences related to the alleged online sexual extortion of teenagers. Burnaby R-C-M-P say the investigation began after victims in Nova Scotia, Quebec and Ontario reported to local police that they were being extorted for money after sharing explicit images with someone they met on social media platforms.

19 year old charged in extortion crimes

Canadians should be prepared for more wildfires and hurricanes: Environment Canada

Canadians should be prepared for more wildfires and hurricanes: Environment Canada
Human-caused climate change is making heat waves much more likely, the federal government says, bringing extreme weather from fires to storms. That's according to Environment and Climate Change Canada's rapid extreme weather event attribution system, which compares today's climate to a pre-industrial one.

Canadians should be prepared for more wildfires and hurricanes: Environment Canada

B.C. fruit group files for creditor protection after crop losses, 'liquidity crisis'

B.C. fruit group files for creditor protection after crop losses, 'liquidity crisis'
A statement from the BC Tree Fruits Cooperative issued Monday says the decision to file for creditor protection stems from the group's "liquidity crisis," with stone fruit crops damaged by weather identified as "the final tipping point" in a series of factors.

B.C. fruit group files for creditor protection after crop losses, 'liquidity crisis'

Suspect arrested, second sought in deadly shooting east of Calgary

Suspect arrested, second sought in deadly shooting east of Calgary
RCMP in Alberta say one of two suspects wanted in a deadly shooting east of Calgary last week has been arrested, but the search continues for the other. With assistance from the Edmonton Police Service, Mounties announced Monday night they arrested a 35-year-old suspect in the Alberta capital on August 8.

Suspect arrested, second sought in deadly shooting east of Calgary