Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Hudson's Bay seeks creditor protection, plans to restructure business

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 07 Mar, 2025 05:38 PM
  • Hudson's Bay seeks creditor protection, plans to restructure business

Canada's oldest retailer, Hudson's Bay, has filed for creditor protection and intends to restructure the business.

The department store company that dates back to 1670 announced the move Friday evening, saying it has been facing “significant” pressures, including subdued consumer spending, trade tensions between the U.S. and Canada and post-pandemic drops in downtown store traffic.

“While very difficult, this is a necessary step to strengthen our foundation and ensure that we remain a significant part of Canada’s retail landscape, despite the sector-wide challenges that have forced other retailers to exit the market,” Liz Rodbell, president and CEO of Hudson’s Bay said in a press release. 

“Now more than ever, it is critical that Canadian businesses are protected and positioned to succeed.”

The company's hulking footprint spans 80 Hudson's Bay locations that sell everything from apparel to housewares, cosmetics and furniture. 

Through a licensing agreement, it also owns three Saks Fifth Avenue stores and 13 Saks Off 5th locations in Canada, which will continue to operate.

Saks Global, which owns U.S. Saks locations as well as Neiman Marcus and Bergdorf Goodman stores, is not connected to the creditor protection filing.

As part of the filing, Hudson's Bay said it was exploring several strategic options to strengthen its business and said it would not make promises but was committed to preserving jobs where possible.

The company spent the last several years in a state of deterioration as it closed several stores and carried out several rounds of layoffs.

In orchestrating prior cuts, it cited "challenging headwinds" that made it necessary to slash its workforce and pull out of a store redevelopment at the Oakridge Park shopping centre in Vancouver.

Hudson's Bay's regression was evident across the department store's floors.

When its crown jewel location on Queen Street West in Toronto closed its Food Wares market, it haphazardly filled the food counters and display cases with a growing array of Zellers merchandise rather than remodelling the wing.

Even more recently, grocer Pusateri's and coffee purveyor Nescafé decamped, further emptying the store, which has appeared to be in a state of disrepair with escalators often broken and many departments begging for some TLC.

Hudson's Bay made some tweaks to its product mix last year, bringing in Target's kid brand Cat & Jack and returning womenswear banners Ann Taylor and Loft to Canada. Yet some felt the changes weren't working.

“I did a walk-through just to see what was going on and crickets,” Liza Amlani, the co-founder of the Retail Strategy Group, told The Canadian Press last summer.

“There were no people. There was excessive markdowns, rails and rails of product, which tells me that either the buying team (or) the planning team does not know what the Canadian customer is looking for.”

Amlani's comments came when Hudson's Bay parent company HBC was experiencing a glimmer of hope last summer as it purchased Neiman Marcus and its Bergdorf Goodman banner for US$2.65 billion.

HBC's plan was to combine the luxury department stores with the Saks Fifth Avenue and Saks Off 5th chains it already owned in a new entity called Saks Global.

As part of the transaction, e-commerce goliath Amazon and software giant Salesforce were expected to become investors in Saks Global.

Some Neiman Marcus staff were laid off last week as HBC prepared to consolidate its U.S. office space and cut the banner's Dallas flagship.

Meanwhile, its nearest Canadian competitor, Simons, is in growth mode with a $75-million expansion plan. The 185-year-old dry-goods-shop-turned-department-store-chain will open locations in the Yorkdale and Eaton Centre malls in Toronto, where Hudson's Bay has long been an anchor tenant, later this year.

The architect behind most of HBC's modern history is Richard Baker, an American real estate titan whose National Realty and Development Corp. Equity Partners bought Hudson's Bay in 2008 from the widow of late South Carolina businessman Jerry Zucker for $1.1 billion.

Baker took the company public in 2012 only to reverse course through a takeover bid that had to be sweetened twice before shareholders accepted it in early 2020 ahead of the COVID-19 pandemic lockdowns.

In the lead-up to the privatization vote, Baker faced criticism for HBC's stock dropping while he was at the helm and for not better utilizing the company's real estate, which includes several prized locations in high-traffic shopping districts.

After the privatization was approved, he acknowledged there was work to be done and said it would start with a new website for Hudson’s Bay.

“It will take patient capital and a long-term view to fully unleash HBC’s potential at the intersection of real estate and retail,” he said in March 2020.

MORE National ARTICLES

YVR janitors suspend strike escalation after tentative deal

YVR janitors suspend strike escalation after tentative deal
Janitors with Local 2 of the Service Employees International Union say they had planned to set up lawful picket lines at undisclosed areas of the airport during the busy travel day.  The 233 cleaners at the airport had been striking at a designated area of the airport since Thursday.

YVR janitors suspend strike escalation after tentative deal

One storm moving inland, two to go, in B.C.'s Christmas week battering

One storm moving inland, two to go, in B.C.'s Christmas week battering
Environment Canada says the first of a series of Christmas week storms forecast for British Columbia's coast is moving inland, after bringing 140 km/h winds to some exposed coastal areas. But there will be no respite for the south coast and Vancouver Island, with a second powerful storm expected to bring very strong winds and heavy rain on Christmas morning.

One storm moving inland, two to go, in B.C.'s Christmas week battering

Tractor crash during protest

Tractor crash during protest
Mounties say a Chilliwack man has been charged with three criminal offences after a crash between a tractor and BC Highway Patrol vehicle during a 2023 protest. They say the 54-year-old was arrested on Dec. 18 and will appear in Surrey Provincial Court on Jan. 16, charged with fleeing police, dangerous operation of a vehicle and assaulting a police officer with a weapon.

Tractor crash during protest

Cars carrying grains derailed into river

Cars carrying grains derailed into river
A derailment has sent rail cars carrying grain plunging into the Fraser River, and CN Rail says it's working to restore the tracks near Boston Bar, B.C. It says the incident  involving about a dozen cars from a CPKC train on its mainline east of the Fraser Canyon community happened on Sunday due to a rockslide.

Cars carrying grains derailed into river

Over 280M trees planted: BC Gov

Over 280M trees planted: BC Gov
British Columbia's forests ministry says more than 280 million trees were planted in the province this year.  It says 13 different native tree species were chosen in its effort to preserve ecosystems and prioritize characteristics including resilience to climate change.

Over 280M trees planted: BC Gov

Green Party's Elizabeth May reflects on unprecedented week in Canadian politics

Green Party's Elizabeth May reflects on unprecedented week in Canadian politics
In a year-end interview with The Canadian Press, May — now in her 13th year as the B.C. MP for Saanich—Gulf Islands — spoke about the bombshell events on Parliament Hill, the parliamentary stalemate that has paralyzed the House of Commons for months and her thoughts on the fate of Prime Minister Justin Trudeau's Liberal leadership.

Green Party's Elizabeth May reflects on unprecedented week in Canadian politics