Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Hudson's Bay seeks creditor protection, plans to restructure business

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 07 Mar, 2025 05:38 PM
  • Hudson's Bay seeks creditor protection, plans to restructure business

Canada's oldest retailer, Hudson's Bay, has filed for creditor protection and intends to restructure the business.

The department store company that dates back to 1670 announced the move Friday evening, saying it has been facing “significant” pressures, including subdued consumer spending, trade tensions between the U.S. and Canada and post-pandemic drops in downtown store traffic.

“While very difficult, this is a necessary step to strengthen our foundation and ensure that we remain a significant part of Canada’s retail landscape, despite the sector-wide challenges that have forced other retailers to exit the market,” Liz Rodbell, president and CEO of Hudson’s Bay said in a press release. 

“Now more than ever, it is critical that Canadian businesses are protected and positioned to succeed.”

The company's hulking footprint spans 80 Hudson's Bay locations that sell everything from apparel to housewares, cosmetics and furniture. 

Through a licensing agreement, it also owns three Saks Fifth Avenue stores and 13 Saks Off 5th locations in Canada, which will continue to operate.

Saks Global, which owns U.S. Saks locations as well as Neiman Marcus and Bergdorf Goodman stores, is not connected to the creditor protection filing.

As part of the filing, Hudson's Bay said it was exploring several strategic options to strengthen its business and said it would not make promises but was committed to preserving jobs where possible.

The company spent the last several years in a state of deterioration as it closed several stores and carried out several rounds of layoffs.

In orchestrating prior cuts, it cited "challenging headwinds" that made it necessary to slash its workforce and pull out of a store redevelopment at the Oakridge Park shopping centre in Vancouver.

Hudson's Bay's regression was evident across the department store's floors.

When its crown jewel location on Queen Street West in Toronto closed its Food Wares market, it haphazardly filled the food counters and display cases with a growing array of Zellers merchandise rather than remodelling the wing.

Even more recently, grocer Pusateri's and coffee purveyor Nescafé decamped, further emptying the store, which has appeared to be in a state of disrepair with escalators often broken and many departments begging for some TLC.

Hudson's Bay made some tweaks to its product mix last year, bringing in Target's kid brand Cat & Jack and returning womenswear banners Ann Taylor and Loft to Canada. Yet some felt the changes weren't working.

“I did a walk-through just to see what was going on and crickets,” Liza Amlani, the co-founder of the Retail Strategy Group, told The Canadian Press last summer.

“There were no people. There was excessive markdowns, rails and rails of product, which tells me that either the buying team (or) the planning team does not know what the Canadian customer is looking for.”

Amlani's comments came when Hudson's Bay parent company HBC was experiencing a glimmer of hope last summer as it purchased Neiman Marcus and its Bergdorf Goodman banner for US$2.65 billion.

HBC's plan was to combine the luxury department stores with the Saks Fifth Avenue and Saks Off 5th chains it already owned in a new entity called Saks Global.

As part of the transaction, e-commerce goliath Amazon and software giant Salesforce were expected to become investors in Saks Global.

Some Neiman Marcus staff were laid off last week as HBC prepared to consolidate its U.S. office space and cut the banner's Dallas flagship.

Meanwhile, its nearest Canadian competitor, Simons, is in growth mode with a $75-million expansion plan. The 185-year-old dry-goods-shop-turned-department-store-chain will open locations in the Yorkdale and Eaton Centre malls in Toronto, where Hudson's Bay has long been an anchor tenant, later this year.

The architect behind most of HBC's modern history is Richard Baker, an American real estate titan whose National Realty and Development Corp. Equity Partners bought Hudson's Bay in 2008 from the widow of late South Carolina businessman Jerry Zucker for $1.1 billion.

Baker took the company public in 2012 only to reverse course through a takeover bid that had to be sweetened twice before shareholders accepted it in early 2020 ahead of the COVID-19 pandemic lockdowns.

In the lead-up to the privatization vote, Baker faced criticism for HBC's stock dropping while he was at the helm and for not better utilizing the company's real estate, which includes several prized locations in high-traffic shopping districts.

After the privatization was approved, he acknowledged there was work to be done and said it would start with a new website for Hudson’s Bay.

“It will take patient capital and a long-term view to fully unleash HBC’s potential at the intersection of real estate and retail,” he said in March 2020.

MORE National ARTICLES

Vancouver Police Union criticizes assault case's handling after officer's suicide

Vancouver Police Union criticizes assault case's handling after officer's suicide
The president of the Vancouver Police Union has criticized the handling of a sexual assault case that ended in the suicide of a Central Saanich Police officer. Ralph Kaisers says in a letter to members that was obtained by The Canadian Press that the "tragic loss" of the officer came after public statements that risked "undermining the presumption of innocence."

Vancouver Police Union criticizes assault case's handling after officer's suicide

Attempted murder charges for woman who tried to drive car with kids into B.C. river

Attempted murder charges for woman who tried to drive car with kids into B.C. river
Police in Delta say a woman has been charged with attempted murder after allegedly trying to drive a car carrying two young children into the Fraser River last month.  Delta police say officers had responded to an incident on Nov. 29 on River Road where they found a car stuck on the foreshore of the river. 

Attempted murder charges for woman who tried to drive car with kids into B.C. river

Latest B.C. storm brings 140 km/h gusts to Vancouver Island amid wind, snow warnings

Latest B.C. storm brings 140 km/h gusts to Vancouver Island amid wind, snow warnings
Winds approaching 140 km/h have been hitting Vancouver Island weather stations after Environment Canada issued the latest in a series of wind warnings for the B.C. coast. It says the warnings cover exposed coastal sections of the island's north and B.C.'s central coast, with a Pacific frontal system approaching.

Latest B.C. storm brings 140 km/h gusts to Vancouver Island amid wind, snow warnings

B.C. police officer charged with sexual assault dies by suicide, reports say

B.C. police officer charged with sexual assault dies by suicide, reports say
Several British Columbia media reports say one of two Central Saanich Police officers charged with sexual assaulting a woman they met on duty has died by suicide. The Times Colonist cites four sources saying 43-year-old Sgt. Matthew Ball has died, while other outlets cite police sources saying Ball died by suicide.

B.C. police officer charged with sexual assault dies by suicide, reports say

Virani says new wrongful conviction commission will support women, racialized people

Virani says new wrongful conviction commission will support women, racialized people
The law, named after David Milgaard and his mother, Joyce, will move the review process of cases away from the ministers, and will be replaced with an independent commission the government says will make it easier, faster and more fair for the potentially wrongfully convicted.

Virani says new wrongful conviction commission will support women, racialized people

Canada Post to start taking commercial mail again

Canada Post to start taking commercial mail again
Canada Post is set to start accepting commercial letters and parcels as it works to get back to normal operations following a month-long strike. The postal service has warned Canadians should expect delays into the new year as it works through a backlog of mail, after workers went back on the job Tuesday. 

Canada Post to start taking commercial mail again