Tuesday, May 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Hudson's Bay seeks creditor protection, plans to restructure business

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 07 Mar, 2025 05:38 PM
  • Hudson's Bay seeks creditor protection, plans to restructure business

Canada's oldest retailer, Hudson's Bay, has filed for creditor protection and intends to restructure the business.

The department store company that dates back to 1670 announced the move Friday evening, saying it has been facing “significant” pressures, including subdued consumer spending, trade tensions between the U.S. and Canada and post-pandemic drops in downtown store traffic.

“While very difficult, this is a necessary step to strengthen our foundation and ensure that we remain a significant part of Canada’s retail landscape, despite the sector-wide challenges that have forced other retailers to exit the market,” Liz Rodbell, president and CEO of Hudson’s Bay said in a press release. 

“Now more than ever, it is critical that Canadian businesses are protected and positioned to succeed.”

The company's hulking footprint spans 80 Hudson's Bay locations that sell everything from apparel to housewares, cosmetics and furniture. 

Through a licensing agreement, it also owns three Saks Fifth Avenue stores and 13 Saks Off 5th locations in Canada, which will continue to operate.

Saks Global, which owns U.S. Saks locations as well as Neiman Marcus and Bergdorf Goodman stores, is not connected to the creditor protection filing.

As part of the filing, Hudson's Bay said it was exploring several strategic options to strengthen its business and said it would not make promises but was committed to preserving jobs where possible.

The company spent the last several years in a state of deterioration as it closed several stores and carried out several rounds of layoffs.

In orchestrating prior cuts, it cited "challenging headwinds" that made it necessary to slash its workforce and pull out of a store redevelopment at the Oakridge Park shopping centre in Vancouver.

Hudson's Bay's regression was evident across the department store's floors.

When its crown jewel location on Queen Street West in Toronto closed its Food Wares market, it haphazardly filled the food counters and display cases with a growing array of Zellers merchandise rather than remodelling the wing.

Even more recently, grocer Pusateri's and coffee purveyor Nescafé decamped, further emptying the store, which has appeared to be in a state of disrepair with escalators often broken and many departments begging for some TLC.

Hudson's Bay made some tweaks to its product mix last year, bringing in Target's kid brand Cat & Jack and returning womenswear banners Ann Taylor and Loft to Canada. Yet some felt the changes weren't working.

“I did a walk-through just to see what was going on and crickets,” Liza Amlani, the co-founder of the Retail Strategy Group, told The Canadian Press last summer.

“There were no people. There was excessive markdowns, rails and rails of product, which tells me that either the buying team (or) the planning team does not know what the Canadian customer is looking for.”

Amlani's comments came when Hudson's Bay parent company HBC was experiencing a glimmer of hope last summer as it purchased Neiman Marcus and its Bergdorf Goodman banner for US$2.65 billion.

HBC's plan was to combine the luxury department stores with the Saks Fifth Avenue and Saks Off 5th chains it already owned in a new entity called Saks Global.

As part of the transaction, e-commerce goliath Amazon and software giant Salesforce were expected to become investors in Saks Global.

Some Neiman Marcus staff were laid off last week as HBC prepared to consolidate its U.S. office space and cut the banner's Dallas flagship.

Meanwhile, its nearest Canadian competitor, Simons, is in growth mode with a $75-million expansion plan. The 185-year-old dry-goods-shop-turned-department-store-chain will open locations in the Yorkdale and Eaton Centre malls in Toronto, where Hudson's Bay has long been an anchor tenant, later this year.

The architect behind most of HBC's modern history is Richard Baker, an American real estate titan whose National Realty and Development Corp. Equity Partners bought Hudson's Bay in 2008 from the widow of late South Carolina businessman Jerry Zucker for $1.1 billion.

Baker took the company public in 2012 only to reverse course through a takeover bid that had to be sweetened twice before shareholders accepted it in early 2020 ahead of the COVID-19 pandemic lockdowns.

In the lead-up to the privatization vote, Baker faced criticism for HBC's stock dropping while he was at the helm and for not better utilizing the company's real estate, which includes several prized locations in high-traffic shopping districts.

After the privatization was approved, he acknowledged there was work to be done and said it would start with a new website for Hudson’s Bay.

“It will take patient capital and a long-term view to fully unleash HBC’s potential at the intersection of real estate and retail,” he said in March 2020.

MORE National ARTICLES

Analysts expect jobless rate edged up in December

Analysts expect jobless rate edged up in December
Statistics Canada will release the country's job report for December this morning. November saw Canada's unemployment rate rise to 6.8 per cent — the highest jobless rate since January 2017 outside of the COVID-19 pandemic.

Analysts expect jobless rate edged up in December

Human rights group asks Canada to join U.S. and declare another genocide in Sudan

Human rights group asks Canada to join U.S. and declare another genocide in Sudan
A prominent human rights group is calling on Ottawa to follow the U.S. and declare that recent actions by Sudan's paramilitary force amount to genocide. The Raoul Wallenberg Centre for Human Rights accused the Rapid Support Forces of carrying out a genocide in the Darfur region months ago, during Sudan's brutal civil war.

Human rights group asks Canada to join U.S. and declare another genocide in Sudan

Mélanie Joly will not run for Liberal party leadership, source confirms

Mélanie Joly will not run for Liberal party leadership, source confirms
Foreign Affairs Minister Mélanie Joly is bowing out of the race to replace Justin Trudeau as Liberal leader — making her the second cabinet minister to choose their current job over a chance to become prime minister.

Mélanie Joly will not run for Liberal party leadership, source confirms

Yvonne Jones, longtime Liberal MP for Labrador, retiring from federal politics

Yvonne Jones, longtime Liberal MP for Labrador, retiring from federal politics
Yvonne Jones, Liberal member of Parliament for Labrador, says she won't be running in the next federal election. Jones has been public about her past battles with breast cancer, and she told a crowd in Happy Valley-Goose Bay that she is cancer-free, healthy and ready for new adventures.

Yvonne Jones, longtime Liberal MP for Labrador, retiring from federal politics

Quebec sending more water bombers to California after aircraft struck by drone

Quebec sending more water bombers to California after aircraft struck by drone
Quebec said Friday it will send two more firefighting aircraft to California, a day after one of the province’s water bombers collided with a drone while battling the wildfires ravaging the Los Angeles area. The extra bombers will arrive following an incident that grounded one of the two planes from Quebec that had been assisting in California's wildfire fight.

Quebec sending more water bombers to California after aircraft struck by drone

Foreign Affairs Minister Mélanie Joly off to Washington next week to talk tariffs

Foreign Affairs Minister Mélanie Joly off to Washington next week to talk tariffs
Foreign Affairs Minister Mélanie Joly heads to Washington next week to press the incoming Trump administration not to impose damaging tariffs on Canada. President-elect Donald Trump has threatened to impose 25 per cent across-the-board tariffs on imports from Canada and Mexico when he is inaugurated later this month.

Foreign Affairs Minister Mélanie Joly off to Washington next week to talk tariffs