Tuesday, May 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Huge Wildfires In B.C. Could Smoulder Until Next Spring, Says Official

The Canadian Press, 01 Sep, 2017 02:37 PM
    WILLIAMS LAKE, B.C. — A municipal leader in British Columbia's central Interior says he wouldn't be surprised if wildfires that have chewed through more than 10,600 square kilometres of woodland won't be fully out until 2018.
     
    Chairman Al Richmond of the Cariboo Regional District said hot spots from many of the largest fires likely won't be doused until the spring, mirroring the Fort McMurray wildfire that Alberta officials said was finally declared extinguished on Aug. 2.
     
    "It goes down deep into the roots sometimes and then pops up again in the summer," he said. "That's not unusual, so I think the forest service felt we will be out dealing with these fires until well into October. And we will probably be back with many hot spots again come spring."
     
    A small wildfire that flared up near Canim Lake, east of 100 Mile House, prompted a tactical evacuation of about 88 properties. There was no formal evacuation order but an alert was in place.
     
    Huge swaths of land that are now just barren stretches of ash-covered ground and charred timber also worry the regional district as it prepares for rain in the fall.
     
    "If we have some rains here, which we will be thankful to have to douse the fires, they could bring a mixed blessing and cause some land slippage too, so it's not a pretty picture," said Richmond.
     
    Scores of wildfires burned across British Columbia on Friday. An 1,800 square kilometre straddling the Cariboo and Thompson-Nicola regional districts flared again.
     
     
    The BC Wildfire Service said the blaze, sparked at the beginning of July near Ashcroft, was 50 per cent contained but recent scorching heat and gusty winds caused the fire to grow.
     
    All available resources, including structural protection crews were sent to the area, the wildfire service said.
     
    In southeastern B.C., an evacuation alert was issued late Thursday for nearly 500 properties about 35 kilometres east of Nelson as a wildfire caused by lightning that broke out in late July grew to 25 square kilometres.
     
    Wildfire service spokesman Kevin Skrepnek said a full backcountry closure was not planned over the Labour Day weekend, but the province strongly recommended that people stay out of woods in the critically dry Kamloops, Cariboo and southeast fire centres.
     
    Campfires remain banned in those areas. The BC Conservation Service said its officers issued 37 tickets over the last week to people who violated the order.
     
    This has been a record-breaking wildfire season for B.C.
     
    Finance Minister Carole James said earlier this month the cost of the fires was tracking $389 million over the budget estimate in February and updated firefighting costs will be included in September's financial update.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    If I Can Win, Anyone Can Win: Lotto Luck Shines For Another Albertan Who Lost Fort McMurray Home

    If I Can Win, Anyone Can Win: Lotto Luck Shines For Another Albertan Who Lost Fort McMurray Home
    EDMONTON — Another Albertan who lost a home in Fort McMurray has had a change of luck, winning a luxury condo and an Italian sports car in an Edmonton hospital fundraising lottery.

    If I Can Win, Anyone Can Win: Lotto Luck Shines For Another Albertan Who Lost Fort McMurray Home

    B.C. Greens Seek 'Stable Minority' Government, Avoid Triggering Another Election

    VANCOUVER — The Greens want to avoid triggering another election in British Columbia after the final results left them in the historic position of holding the balance of power in a minority government, says the party leader's press secretary.

    B.C. Greens Seek 'Stable Minority' Government, Avoid Triggering Another Election

    Winnipeg Transit Proposes Pilot Project To Test Safety Barriers For Bus Drivers

    Winnipeg Transit Proposes Pilot Project To Test Safety Barriers For Bus Drivers
    Winnipeg Transit is proposing a pilot project to test safety barriers for bus drivers following the killing of one of its employees.

    Winnipeg Transit Proposes Pilot Project To Test Safety Barriers For Bus Drivers

    City Costs For Vancouver 4-20 Marijuana Protest More Than $245,000

    VANCOUVER — This year's 4-20 marijuana day of protest in Vancouver cost the city more than $245,000.

    City Costs For Vancouver 4-20 Marijuana Protest More Than $245,000

    Trinket Hunters Blamed For Targeting Ghost Town Cemetery In Southern B.C.

    Trinket Hunters Blamed For Targeting Ghost Town Cemetery In Southern B.C.
    COALMONT, B.C. — Someone is digging holes in the cemetery of a southern British Columbia ghost town and a member of the local historical society believes it's the work of misguided treasure hunters.

    Trinket Hunters Blamed For Targeting Ghost Town Cemetery In Southern B.C.

    Former Vancouver Police Detective Constable Faces More Criminal Charges, Including Sexual Assault

    Former Vancouver Police Detective Constable Faces More Criminal Charges, Including Sexual Assault
     James Fisher faces two additional counts of sexual assault and a charge of breach of trust in relation to a witness in a criminal investigation.

    Former Vancouver Police Detective Constable Faces More Criminal Charges, Including Sexual Assault