Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Huge Wildfires In B.C. Could Smoulder Until Next Spring, Says Official

The Canadian Press, 01 Sep, 2017 02:37 PM
    WILLIAMS LAKE, B.C. — A municipal leader in British Columbia's central Interior says he wouldn't be surprised if wildfires that have chewed through more than 10,600 square kilometres of woodland won't be fully out until 2018.
     
    Chairman Al Richmond of the Cariboo Regional District said hot spots from many of the largest fires likely won't be doused until the spring, mirroring the Fort McMurray wildfire that Alberta officials said was finally declared extinguished on Aug. 2.
     
    "It goes down deep into the roots sometimes and then pops up again in the summer," he said. "That's not unusual, so I think the forest service felt we will be out dealing with these fires until well into October. And we will probably be back with many hot spots again come spring."
     
    A small wildfire that flared up near Canim Lake, east of 100 Mile House, prompted a tactical evacuation of about 88 properties. There was no formal evacuation order but an alert was in place.
     
    Huge swaths of land that are now just barren stretches of ash-covered ground and charred timber also worry the regional district as it prepares for rain in the fall.
     
    "If we have some rains here, which we will be thankful to have to douse the fires, they could bring a mixed blessing and cause some land slippage too, so it's not a pretty picture," said Richmond.
     
    Scores of wildfires burned across British Columbia on Friday. An 1,800 square kilometre straddling the Cariboo and Thompson-Nicola regional districts flared again.
     
     
    The BC Wildfire Service said the blaze, sparked at the beginning of July near Ashcroft, was 50 per cent contained but recent scorching heat and gusty winds caused the fire to grow.
     
    All available resources, including structural protection crews were sent to the area, the wildfire service said.
     
    In southeastern B.C., an evacuation alert was issued late Thursday for nearly 500 properties about 35 kilometres east of Nelson as a wildfire caused by lightning that broke out in late July grew to 25 square kilometres.
     
    Wildfire service spokesman Kevin Skrepnek said a full backcountry closure was not planned over the Labour Day weekend, but the province strongly recommended that people stay out of woods in the critically dry Kamloops, Cariboo and southeast fire centres.
     
    Campfires remain banned in those areas. The BC Conservation Service said its officers issued 37 tickets over the last week to people who violated the order.
     
    This has been a record-breaking wildfire season for B.C.
     
    Finance Minister Carole James said earlier this month the cost of the fires was tracking $389 million over the budget estimate in February and updated firefighting costs will be included in September's financial update.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    B.C. Liberals To Repeal Vancouver Natural Gas Ban That City Says Doesn't Exist

    VANCOUVER — The B.C. Liberals say they will repeal a City of Vancouver plan the party claims prohibits natural gas in some new buildings, but the city says no such ban exists.

    B.C. Liberals To Repeal Vancouver Natural Gas Ban That City Says Doesn't Exist

    Small Plane With Two Aboard Crashes In Northern Quebec Near Schefferville

    MONTREAL — Police say two people may have perished after a small plane crashed in northern Quebec.

    Small Plane With Two Aboard Crashes In Northern Quebec Near Schefferville

    Three Men Sentenced For Stealing $18 Million Worth Of Maple Syrup In Quebec

    Three Men Sentenced For Stealing $18 Million Worth Of Maple Syrup In Quebec
    MONTREAL — Three men convicted in connection with the theft of $18 million worth of maple syrup in Quebec were sentenced on Friday to between two and eight years.

    Three Men Sentenced For Stealing $18 Million Worth Of Maple Syrup In Quebec

    2 Dead After Boat Sinks In Waters Northwest Of Tofino, B.C.

    2 Dead After Boat Sinks In Waters Northwest Of Tofino, B.C.
    TOFINO, B.C. — Two people are dead and three others were treated and released from hospital Sunday after a fishing boat went down off the west coast of Vancouver Island near the remote tourist community of Tofino.

    2 Dead After Boat Sinks In Waters Northwest Of Tofino, B.C.

    60-Yr-Old Montreal Woman Taken To Hospital After She Was Assaulted By Her Daughter During A Family D

    60-Yr-Old Montreal Woman Taken To Hospital After She Was Assaulted By Her Daughter During A Family D
    MONTREAL — A 60-year-old woman was taken to hospital after she was allegedly assaulted by her daughter during a family dispute in Montreal.

    60-Yr-Old Montreal Woman Taken To Hospital After She Was Assaulted By Her Daughter During A Family D

    Indian-American Jailed For Selling Illegal Pills, Loses Citizenship

    Indian-American Jailed For Selling Illegal Pills, Loses Citizenship
    Ismail Ali Khan was also convicted and sentenced for falsely stating that he was not a criminal on his application to become a naturalized US citizen, federal prosecutors said on Friday. 

    Indian-American Jailed For Selling Illegal Pills, Loses Citizenship