Sunday, February 15, 2026
ADVT 
National

Immigration leads to record population growth in several Quebec regions

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 16 Jan, 2025 01:31 PM
  • Immigration leads to record population growth in several Quebec regions

A new report from Quebec’s statistics institute says many of the province's regions grew at a record or near-record pace between 2023 and 2024, due in large part to immigration, while deaths outnumbered births for the first time.

Montreal led the way, adding more than 91,000 people between July 2023 and July 2024 for a 4.2-per-cent growth rate — one of the highest ever recorded in any region. 

"Montreal's growth alone accounts for 44 per cent of the total growth recorded in Quebec," the Institut de la statistique du Québec said Thursday in a news release. Quebec City set a new record at 2.4 per cent growth, while the city of Laval and the Outaouais and Mauricie regions followed closely behind. 

The institute said the growth is due mostly to immigration and temporary immigration in particular. Non-permanent residents, such as temporary workers, international students and asylum seekers, outnumbered newly admitted permanent residents in all regions and contributed to the majority of the growth, it noted.

The province added a total of about 208,000 people between July 2023 and July 2024, or 2.3 per cent — the highest growth rate recorded for an equivalent period since comparable data collection began in the early 1970s. Every region in the province except the Côte-Nord grew, the report said.

"The majority of (regions) recorded one of their strongest growths, if not the strongest, since the data became available," the authors wrote.

Quebec Premier François Legault has taken measures in recent months to reduce the number of temporary immigrants in the province, citing a desire to protect the French language and relieve pressure on housing, education, and health care.

Those announcements have included freezing some immigration streams, including for some low-wage temporary foreign workers and two programs that normally provide paths to permanent residency. Legault has also repeatedly called on the federal government to do more to limit the number of temporary newcomers arriving in the country and ensure asylum seekers are resettled more equally among the provinces.

Legault said last year that the number of temporary immigrants in Quebec had doubled to 600,000 from 300,000 in two years.

In its report, the institute also said the province recorded slightly more deaths than births during the one-year span between 2023 and 2024 — the first time since data collection began that Quebec has had a natural population decline over an equivalent time frame.

Deaths outnumbered births in 12 of the province's 17 regions, resulting in an overall balance of  1,150 more deaths than births. However, Montreal, Laval, Montérégie and Outaouais recorded more births than deaths. Between July 2022 and July 2023, there were 696 more births than deaths across the province.

Northern Quebec is the only region of the province where births remain the main contributor to population growth, the report added.

MORE National ARTICLES

'Break in the cooling trend': Jobs report tops economists' expectations in September

'Break in the cooling trend': Jobs report tops economists' expectations in September
Statistics Canada reported on Friday that the economy added 47,000 jobs in September, while the unemployment rate declined for the first time since January to 6.5 per cent. The overall job gains followed four consecutive months of little change, the agency said.

'Break in the cooling trend': Jobs report tops economists' expectations in September

Man charged in shooting

Man charged in shooting
Vancouver police say a 28-year-old man has been charged in the shooting death of a man in the Downtown Eastside. Officers say they responded to a call on August 29th after a 43-year-old man was shot and the victim died at the scene. 

Man charged in shooting

Man gets 10 year sentence in triple stabbing

Man gets 10 year sentence in triple stabbing
A Surrey man has been handed a ten-year sentence for a triple stabbing in 2020 that killed his sister-in-law and left his niece and elderly father seriously injured.  The man was convicted of one count of manslaughter and two counts of aggravated assault. 

Man gets 10 year sentence in triple stabbing

Another Canadian reportedly dead in Lebanon amid escalating Israel-Hezbollah conflict

Another Canadian reportedly dead in Lebanon amid escalating Israel-Hezbollah conflict
Global Affairs Canada says it's aware of reports of the death of a Canadian in Lebanon. The department says officials are in contact with the person's family to offer assistance.

Another Canadian reportedly dead in Lebanon amid escalating Israel-Hezbollah conflict

Community engagement launched to address racism faced by South Asian communities

Community engagement launched to address racism faced by South Asian communities
The City of Vancouver has launched a community engagement process to hear from members of South Asian communities about historical discrimination and ongoing racism. Community members are invited to complete an online survey, attend sessions and share their perspectives on the city's website.

Community engagement launched to address racism faced by South Asian communities

Pellet gun shooting in Victoria

Pellet gun shooting in Victoria
Police in Victoria say a man has been arrested after he was caught on C-C-T-V footage allegedly shooting a pellet gun at another person. It happened along Pandora Avenue just before 10:15 p-m on October 2nd.

Pellet gun shooting in Victoria