Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

Immigration leads to record population growth in several Quebec regions

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 16 Jan, 2025 01:31 PM
  • Immigration leads to record population growth in several Quebec regions

A new report from Quebec’s statistics institute says many of the province's regions grew at a record or near-record pace between 2023 and 2024, due in large part to immigration, while deaths outnumbered births for the first time.

Montreal led the way, adding more than 91,000 people between July 2023 and July 2024 for a 4.2-per-cent growth rate — one of the highest ever recorded in any region. 

"Montreal's growth alone accounts for 44 per cent of the total growth recorded in Quebec," the Institut de la statistique du Québec said Thursday in a news release. Quebec City set a new record at 2.4 per cent growth, while the city of Laval and the Outaouais and Mauricie regions followed closely behind. 

The institute said the growth is due mostly to immigration and temporary immigration in particular. Non-permanent residents, such as temporary workers, international students and asylum seekers, outnumbered newly admitted permanent residents in all regions and contributed to the majority of the growth, it noted.

The province added a total of about 208,000 people between July 2023 and July 2024, or 2.3 per cent — the highest growth rate recorded for an equivalent period since comparable data collection began in the early 1970s. Every region in the province except the Côte-Nord grew, the report said.

"The majority of (regions) recorded one of their strongest growths, if not the strongest, since the data became available," the authors wrote.

Quebec Premier François Legault has taken measures in recent months to reduce the number of temporary immigrants in the province, citing a desire to protect the French language and relieve pressure on housing, education, and health care.

Those announcements have included freezing some immigration streams, including for some low-wage temporary foreign workers and two programs that normally provide paths to permanent residency. Legault has also repeatedly called on the federal government to do more to limit the number of temporary newcomers arriving in the country and ensure asylum seekers are resettled more equally among the provinces.

Legault said last year that the number of temporary immigrants in Quebec had doubled to 600,000 from 300,000 in two years.

In its report, the institute also said the province recorded slightly more deaths than births during the one-year span between 2023 and 2024 — the first time since data collection began that Quebec has had a natural population decline over an equivalent time frame.

Deaths outnumbered births in 12 of the province's 17 regions, resulting in an overall balance of  1,150 more deaths than births. However, Montreal, Laval, Montérégie and Outaouais recorded more births than deaths. Between July 2022 and July 2023, there were 696 more births than deaths across the province.

Northern Quebec is the only region of the province where births remain the main contributor to population growth, the report added.

MORE National ARTICLES

Veteran BC United legislator Mike Bernier to run as independent in fall election

Veteran BC United legislator Mike Bernier to run as independent in fall election
Veteran British Columbia legislator Mike Bernier will run in the fall provincial election as an independent instead of joining several former BC United candidates in running under the B.C. Conservatives banner. Bernier says he did not want to "bend" his morals and values by running with the provincial Conservatives, describing some of the party's candidates as holding views that are "anti-women's rights, anti-climate change" and "anti-First Nations."

Veteran BC United legislator Mike Bernier to run as independent in fall election

BOC interest rate cut welcome news for homeowners with variable-rate mortgages: experts

BOC interest rate cut welcome news for homeowners with variable-rate mortgages: experts
Real estate experts say the Bank of Canada's third consecutive interest rate cut will be cheered by those with variable-rate mortgages, but it could still be a while yet before lower borrowing costs translate into a meaningful boost to sales activity. The central bank brought its key lending rate to 4.25 per cent on Wednesday amid softness in the economy and easing inflation.

BOC interest rate cut welcome news for homeowners with variable-rate mortgages: experts

NDP pulling out of confidence deal with Liberals

NDP pulling out of confidence deal with Liberals
Federal NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh says he has ripped up the supply and confidence deal his party had with the minority Liberal government that helped keep them in power. Singh says he notified Prime Minister Justin Trudeau today that he is no longer propping up his government. 

NDP pulling out of confidence deal with Liberals

Police investigate two serious incidents near downtown Vancouver theatre

Police investigate two serious incidents near downtown Vancouver theatre
Vancouver police say extra officers are patrolling an area of downtown after two serious incidents this morning that may be linked. Police say in a post on social media platform X, formerly known as Twitter, that the crime scenes are on Georgia Street near Homer and Hamilton streets, and investigators are unsure if they are related.

Police investigate two serious incidents near downtown Vancouver theatre

Shots fired at Punjabi singer AP Dhillon's Victoria house

Shots fired at Punjabi singer AP Dhillon's Victoria house
Police say someone set fire to two vehicles and fired multiple shots at a Victoria-area home owned by Indo-Canadian musician A-P Dhillon. Mounties say they were called to the home in Colwood early yesterday morning.

Shots fired at Punjabi singer AP Dhillon's Victoria house

Man arrested in Nanaimo for alleged machete crime spree

Man arrested in Nanaimo for alleged machete crime spree
Police in Nanaimo say they've arrested a man who was armed with a machete during an alleged crime spree that included a series of break-ins, chasing and attacking residents and stealing a car from a driveway. Nanaimo RCMP say the attacks happened on Monday afternoon, when police began receiving calls about a man using a machete to break into homes.

Man arrested in Nanaimo for alleged machete crime spree