Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Immigration leads to record population growth in several Quebec regions

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 16 Jan, 2025 01:31 PM
  • Immigration leads to record population growth in several Quebec regions

A new report from Quebec’s statistics institute says many of the province's regions grew at a record or near-record pace between 2023 and 2024, due in large part to immigration, while deaths outnumbered births for the first time.

Montreal led the way, adding more than 91,000 people between July 2023 and July 2024 for a 4.2-per-cent growth rate — one of the highest ever recorded in any region. 

"Montreal's growth alone accounts for 44 per cent of the total growth recorded in Quebec," the Institut de la statistique du Québec said Thursday in a news release. Quebec City set a new record at 2.4 per cent growth, while the city of Laval and the Outaouais and Mauricie regions followed closely behind. 

The institute said the growth is due mostly to immigration and temporary immigration in particular. Non-permanent residents, such as temporary workers, international students and asylum seekers, outnumbered newly admitted permanent residents in all regions and contributed to the majority of the growth, it noted.

The province added a total of about 208,000 people between July 2023 and July 2024, or 2.3 per cent — the highest growth rate recorded for an equivalent period since comparable data collection began in the early 1970s. Every region in the province except the Côte-Nord grew, the report said.

"The majority of (regions) recorded one of their strongest growths, if not the strongest, since the data became available," the authors wrote.

Quebec Premier François Legault has taken measures in recent months to reduce the number of temporary immigrants in the province, citing a desire to protect the French language and relieve pressure on housing, education, and health care.

Those announcements have included freezing some immigration streams, including for some low-wage temporary foreign workers and two programs that normally provide paths to permanent residency. Legault has also repeatedly called on the federal government to do more to limit the number of temporary newcomers arriving in the country and ensure asylum seekers are resettled more equally among the provinces.

Legault said last year that the number of temporary immigrants in Quebec had doubled to 600,000 from 300,000 in two years.

In its report, the institute also said the province recorded slightly more deaths than births during the one-year span between 2023 and 2024 — the first time since data collection began that Quebec has had a natural population decline over an equivalent time frame.

Deaths outnumbered births in 12 of the province's 17 regions, resulting in an overall balance of  1,150 more deaths than births. However, Montreal, Laval, Montérégie and Outaouais recorded more births than deaths. Between July 2022 and July 2023, there were 696 more births than deaths across the province.

Northern Quebec is the only region of the province where births remain the main contributor to population growth, the report added.

MORE National ARTICLES

Sections of Icefields Parkway to reopen in response to Jasper wildfire success

Sections of Icefields Parkway to reopen in response to Jasper wildfire success
Parks Canada says parts of the Icefields Parkway are expected to reopen Friday thanks to recent progress made in wildfire prevention in Jasper National Park. Officials say the road is to open between Lake Louise, Alta., in Banff National Park, and the Athabasca Glacier area of the Columbia Icefield.

Sections of Icefields Parkway to reopen in response to Jasper wildfire success

No Tsunami threat in B.C. after powerful Japan earthquake

No Tsunami threat in B.C. after powerful Japan earthquake
There are no tsunami threats in British Columbia after a powerful earthquake struck off Japan’s southern coast, according to the U.S. based National Tsunami Warning Center. The Japan Meteorological Agency says Thursday's quake registered magnitude 7.1 and was centered in waters off the eastern coast of Japan’s southern main island of Kyushu at a depth of about 30 kilometres.

No Tsunami threat in B.C. after powerful Japan earthquake

Bank of Canada names experts to assess its internal review of pandemic policy actions

Bank of Canada names experts to assess its internal review of pandemic policy actions
The Bank of Canada has named three experts that will assess its internal review of the central bank's policy response to the COVID-19 pandemic. The experts are Pablo Hernández de Cos, former governor of the Bank of Spain, Kristin J. Forbes, a former member of the Bank of England's monetary policy committee and Trevor Tombe, an economics professor at the University of Calgary.

Bank of Canada names experts to assess its internal review of pandemic policy actions

B.C. provides $20M to expand travel, accommodation funding for cancer patients

B.C. provides $20M to expand travel, accommodation funding for cancer patients
The British Columbia government is providing $20 million over two years to support travel and lodging for cancer patients in the province. A statement from the Ministry of Health says the funding for the Canadian Cancer Society builds on a provincial commitment of $10 million last year.

B.C. provides $20M to expand travel, accommodation funding for cancer patients

Okanagan wildfire prompts evacuation orders, expands alerts

Okanagan wildfire prompts evacuation orders, expands alerts
Evacuation orders and alerts have been issued in British Columbia's North Okanagan as a nearby wildfire burns out of control, nearly doubling in size since Tuesday. Tracy Hughes, communications co-ordinator for the Columbia Shuswap Regional District says 17 properties in the district are on evacuation order, while alerts were also expanded to 25 more properties, bringing the total in the region to 69.

Okanagan wildfire prompts evacuation orders, expands alerts

U-Haul driver crashes into pole

U-Haul driver crashes into pole
Police say the driver of a U-Haul truck has been fined after losing control and crashing into a power pole in Greater Victoria yesterday. West Shore R-C-M-P say it happened along Island Highway and caused a temporary power outage for "many" homes in the View Royal area.

U-Haul driver crashes into pole