Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Immigration leads to record population growth in several Quebec regions

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 16 Jan, 2025 01:31 PM
  • Immigration leads to record population growth in several Quebec regions

A new report from Quebec’s statistics institute says many of the province's regions grew at a record or near-record pace between 2023 and 2024, due in large part to immigration, while deaths outnumbered births for the first time.

Montreal led the way, adding more than 91,000 people between July 2023 and July 2024 for a 4.2-per-cent growth rate — one of the highest ever recorded in any region. 

"Montreal's growth alone accounts for 44 per cent of the total growth recorded in Quebec," the Institut de la statistique du Québec said Thursday in a news release. Quebec City set a new record at 2.4 per cent growth, while the city of Laval and the Outaouais and Mauricie regions followed closely behind. 

The institute said the growth is due mostly to immigration and temporary immigration in particular. Non-permanent residents, such as temporary workers, international students and asylum seekers, outnumbered newly admitted permanent residents in all regions and contributed to the majority of the growth, it noted.

The province added a total of about 208,000 people between July 2023 and July 2024, or 2.3 per cent — the highest growth rate recorded for an equivalent period since comparable data collection began in the early 1970s. Every region in the province except the Côte-Nord grew, the report said.

"The majority of (regions) recorded one of their strongest growths, if not the strongest, since the data became available," the authors wrote.

Quebec Premier François Legault has taken measures in recent months to reduce the number of temporary immigrants in the province, citing a desire to protect the French language and relieve pressure on housing, education, and health care.

Those announcements have included freezing some immigration streams, including for some low-wage temporary foreign workers and two programs that normally provide paths to permanent residency. Legault has also repeatedly called on the federal government to do more to limit the number of temporary newcomers arriving in the country and ensure asylum seekers are resettled more equally among the provinces.

Legault said last year that the number of temporary immigrants in Quebec had doubled to 600,000 from 300,000 in two years.

In its report, the institute also said the province recorded slightly more deaths than births during the one-year span between 2023 and 2024 — the first time since data collection began that Quebec has had a natural population decline over an equivalent time frame.

Deaths outnumbered births in 12 of the province's 17 regions, resulting in an overall balance of  1,150 more deaths than births. However, Montreal, Laval, Montérégie and Outaouais recorded more births than deaths. Between July 2022 and July 2023, there were 696 more births than deaths across the province.

Northern Quebec is the only region of the province where births remain the main contributor to population growth, the report added.

MORE National ARTICLES

Targeted shooting in Kamloops

Targeted shooting in Kamloops
Kamloops R-C-M-P say a 40-year-old man known to police has suffered serious, but non-life-threatening injuries after a targeted shooting that officers believe to be gang-related. Police say it happened last night in the 170 block of Tranquille Road.

Targeted shooting in Kamloops

48 year old Inderjit Singh Sandhu sentenced to life in imprisonment for killing wife Kamaljit Sandhu

48 year old Inderjit Singh Sandhu sentenced to life in imprisonment for killing wife Kamaljit Sandhu
Police say a 48-year-old Abbotsford man has been sentenced to life in prison without parole eligibility for 13 years for murdering his wife. Inderjit Singh Sandhu pleaded guilty in April to second-degree murder in connection with the July 2022 homicide in the Fraser Valley city.

48 year old Inderjit Singh Sandhu sentenced to life in imprisonment for killing wife Kamaljit Sandhu

Environment Canada issues multiple warnings as B.C. braces for weekend heat

Environment Canada issues multiple warnings as B.C. braces for weekend heat
The six warnings span Vancouver Island, where they will be in effect from Friday until early next week, and the North Coast including Kitimat and Terrace, where the warnings will be in place from Saturday until Tuesday night.

Environment Canada issues multiple warnings as B.C. braces for weekend heat

B.C. seniors advocate seeks tenancy protection for residents of retirement homes

B.C. seniors advocate seeks tenancy protection for residents of retirement homes
British Columbia's seniors advocate is calling for the enforcement of tenancy laws to protect residents of retirement homes who he says face illegal rent increases and evictions. Dan Levitt says in a new report that some retirement homes claim the Residential Tenancy Act does not apply to their residents, or to mandatory fees for services including meals and housekeeping.

B.C. seniors advocate seeks tenancy protection for residents of retirement homes

Border workers who nearly went on strike in June ratify new contract

Border workers who nearly went on strike in June ratify new contract
The union representing Canada's border workers says members have voted 91 per cent in favour of a new collective agreement. More than 9,000 Canada Border Services Agency workers were planning job action in June but the strike was averted when a tentative agreement was reached with the federal government.

Border workers who nearly went on strike in June ratify new contract

Anita Huberman, CEO of Surrey Board of Trade announces she will leave on August 30

Anita Huberman, CEO of Surrey Board of Trade announces she will leave on August 30
Huberman is the longest serving President and CEO of the Surrey Board of Trade, having served for 18 years – unprecedented in the chamber of commerce/board of trade industry. During her 31 years with the organization, having served in a variety of roles, she has built the organization up from a struggling entity into one of the largest organizations of its kind in Canada.

Anita Huberman, CEO of Surrey Board of Trade announces she will leave on August 30