Friday, February 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Immigration leads to record population growth in several Quebec regions

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 16 Jan, 2025 01:31 PM
  • Immigration leads to record population growth in several Quebec regions

A new report from Quebec’s statistics institute says many of the province's regions grew at a record or near-record pace between 2023 and 2024, due in large part to immigration, while deaths outnumbered births for the first time.

Montreal led the way, adding more than 91,000 people between July 2023 and July 2024 for a 4.2-per-cent growth rate — one of the highest ever recorded in any region. 

"Montreal's growth alone accounts for 44 per cent of the total growth recorded in Quebec," the Institut de la statistique du Québec said Thursday in a news release. Quebec City set a new record at 2.4 per cent growth, while the city of Laval and the Outaouais and Mauricie regions followed closely behind. 

The institute said the growth is due mostly to immigration and temporary immigration in particular. Non-permanent residents, such as temporary workers, international students and asylum seekers, outnumbered newly admitted permanent residents in all regions and contributed to the majority of the growth, it noted.

The province added a total of about 208,000 people between July 2023 and July 2024, or 2.3 per cent — the highest growth rate recorded for an equivalent period since comparable data collection began in the early 1970s. Every region in the province except the Côte-Nord grew, the report said.

"The majority of (regions) recorded one of their strongest growths, if not the strongest, since the data became available," the authors wrote.

Quebec Premier François Legault has taken measures in recent months to reduce the number of temporary immigrants in the province, citing a desire to protect the French language and relieve pressure on housing, education, and health care.

Those announcements have included freezing some immigration streams, including for some low-wage temporary foreign workers and two programs that normally provide paths to permanent residency. Legault has also repeatedly called on the federal government to do more to limit the number of temporary newcomers arriving in the country and ensure asylum seekers are resettled more equally among the provinces.

Legault said last year that the number of temporary immigrants in Quebec had doubled to 600,000 from 300,000 in two years.

In its report, the institute also said the province recorded slightly more deaths than births during the one-year span between 2023 and 2024 — the first time since data collection began that Quebec has had a natural population decline over an equivalent time frame.

Deaths outnumbered births in 12 of the province's 17 regions, resulting in an overall balance of  1,150 more deaths than births. However, Montreal, Laval, Montérégie and Outaouais recorded more births than deaths. Between July 2022 and July 2023, there were 696 more births than deaths across the province.

Northern Quebec is the only region of the province where births remain the main contributor to population growth, the report added.

MORE National ARTICLES

B.C. to hike commercial vehicle crash penalties after 35 over-height truck incidents

B.C. to hike commercial vehicle crash penalties after 35 over-height truck incidents
The New Democrat government says it's proposing changes to the Commercial Transport Act that currently prescribes fines for over-height vehicles of $500 to $598, levels that are unchanged for decades. Transportation Minister Rob Fleming says the proposed changes are in response to 35 crashes involving over-height commercial vehicles since late 2021.

B.C. to hike commercial vehicle crash penalties after 35 over-height truck incidents

Richmond seeks federal funding to house refugees crowding homeless shelters

Richmond seeks federal funding to house refugees crowding homeless shelters
The City of Richmond in British Columbia is urging the federal government to provide more temporary housing for refugees and asylum seekers or pay for the use of city shelters, with the newcomers taking up about a third of all beds at one shelter last year. Coun. Carol Day, whose motion proposing the request was passed unanimously by the council on Monday, says local residents experiencing homelessness have been denied shelter spaces because of the phenomenon.

Richmond seeks federal funding to house refugees crowding homeless shelters

B.C. auditor general says accounting fix should improve tax revenue estimates

B.C. auditor general says accounting fix should improve tax revenue estimates
British Columbia auditor general Michael Pickup says the provincial government is using more up-to-date information to forecast income tax revenue, something he expects to improve financial estimates that have routinely been off by more than $1 billion every year.

B.C. auditor general says accounting fix should improve tax revenue estimates

Surrey fire deemed suspicious

Surrey fire deemed suspicious
Mounties say they responded to a call around 7 p-m on Sunday to the complex in the 13300 block of 103 avenue, and firefighters were already on scene evacuating the building.  Police say anyone who may have witnessed any suspicious activity should contact the Surrey RCMP.

Surrey fire deemed suspicious

Ex-Calgary mayor Naheed Nenshi joins NDP leadership race to combat "immoral" UCP

Ex-Calgary mayor Naheed Nenshi joins NDP leadership race to combat
Former Calgary mayor Naheed Nenshi came out of political retirement on Monday, announcing a run for Alberta's NDP leadership to challenge what he termed an “immoral” United Conservative government. Nenshi, 52, was elected mayor of Calgary in 2010 and won three terms before deciding to bow out before the 2021 municipal election.

Ex-Calgary mayor Naheed Nenshi joins NDP leadership race to combat "immoral" UCP

Stung by criticism, Ottawa to give $1M to support victims of sexual violence by Hamas

Stung by criticism, Ottawa to give $1M to support victims of sexual violence by Hamas
Ottawa has not said which groups will receive the $1 million, nor when. Canada is also offering RCMP support for investigations, though it's unclear whether Israeli officials have made any specific request. Joly announced the measures on the platform X, formerly known as Twitter, on Monday, saying the funding is for "organizations who are supporting survivors of sexual violence committed by Hamas."

Stung by criticism, Ottawa to give $1M to support victims of sexual violence by Hamas