Saturday, February 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

Immigration leads to record population growth in several Quebec regions

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 16 Jan, 2025 01:31 PM
  • Immigration leads to record population growth in several Quebec regions

A new report from Quebec’s statistics institute says many of the province's regions grew at a record or near-record pace between 2023 and 2024, due in large part to immigration, while deaths outnumbered births for the first time.

Montreal led the way, adding more than 91,000 people between July 2023 and July 2024 for a 4.2-per-cent growth rate — one of the highest ever recorded in any region. 

"Montreal's growth alone accounts for 44 per cent of the total growth recorded in Quebec," the Institut de la statistique du Québec said Thursday in a news release. Quebec City set a new record at 2.4 per cent growth, while the city of Laval and the Outaouais and Mauricie regions followed closely behind. 

The institute said the growth is due mostly to immigration and temporary immigration in particular. Non-permanent residents, such as temporary workers, international students and asylum seekers, outnumbered newly admitted permanent residents in all regions and contributed to the majority of the growth, it noted.

The province added a total of about 208,000 people between July 2023 and July 2024, or 2.3 per cent — the highest growth rate recorded for an equivalent period since comparable data collection began in the early 1970s. Every region in the province except the Côte-Nord grew, the report said.

"The majority of (regions) recorded one of their strongest growths, if not the strongest, since the data became available," the authors wrote.

Quebec Premier François Legault has taken measures in recent months to reduce the number of temporary immigrants in the province, citing a desire to protect the French language and relieve pressure on housing, education, and health care.

Those announcements have included freezing some immigration streams, including for some low-wage temporary foreign workers and two programs that normally provide paths to permanent residency. Legault has also repeatedly called on the federal government to do more to limit the number of temporary newcomers arriving in the country and ensure asylum seekers are resettled more equally among the provinces.

Legault said last year that the number of temporary immigrants in Quebec had doubled to 600,000 from 300,000 in two years.

In its report, the institute also said the province recorded slightly more deaths than births during the one-year span between 2023 and 2024 — the first time since data collection began that Quebec has had a natural population decline over an equivalent time frame.

Deaths outnumbered births in 12 of the province's 17 regions, resulting in an overall balance of  1,150 more deaths than births. However, Montreal, Laval, Montérégie and Outaouais recorded more births than deaths. Between July 2022 and July 2023, there were 696 more births than deaths across the province.

Northern Quebec is the only region of the province where births remain the main contributor to population growth, the report added.

MORE National ARTICLES

Man dies in Chilliwack hit and run

Man dies in Chilliwack hit and run
Mounties in Chilliwack say a man is dead after a hit-and-run collision last week. Chilliwack R-C-M-P says officers found an unresponsive male lying on the side of the road on January 18th after receiving a report. 

Man dies in Chilliwack hit and run

One dead in suspected targeted shooting in Metro Vancouver: RCMP

One dead in suspected targeted shooting in Metro Vancouver: RCMP
One man is dead after what police believe was a targeted shooting overnight in Metro Vancouver. Police say officers responded to reports of a shooting in the 5500 block of Kingsway in Burnaby on Tuesday at 10:30 p.m.

One dead in suspected targeted shooting in Metro Vancouver: RCMP

Bank of Canada holds key interest rate at 5%, signals shift toward rate cut talks

Bank of Canada holds key interest rate at 5%, signals shift toward rate cut talks
The Bank of Canada is turning its attention to when it may be able to start cutting interest rates, governor Tiff Macklem said Wednesday as he announced the central bank's decision to hold its key rate at five per cent. The Bank of Canada’s decision to maintain its key rate comes as no surprise. Weaker economic growth along with slowing inflation has allowed the central bank to hold its policy rate steady and monitor how the economy is responding to higher rates.    

Bank of Canada holds key interest rate at 5%, signals shift toward rate cut talks

Foreign interference inquiry signals plan to probe alleged meddling by India

Foreign interference inquiry signals plan to probe alleged meddling by India
The federal commission of inquiry into foreign interference is looking to examine alleged meddling by India in the last two general elections. In a statement today, the commission says it has asked the federal government to produce documentation related to these allegations.  

Foreign interference inquiry signals plan to probe alleged meddling by India

Labour board sets hearings for Metro Vancouver bus dispute as service resumes

Labour board sets hearings for Metro Vancouver bus dispute as service resumes
The Labour Relations Board has scheduled hearings today and tomorrow in the industrial dispute that paralyzed Metro Vancouver bus services this week. Bus and SeaBus services resumed this morning after the end of the 48-hour strike by more than 180 transit supervisors represented by Canadian Union of Public Employees Local 4500.  

Labour board sets hearings for Metro Vancouver bus dispute as service resumes

Over 111K seized in New Westminster

Over 111K seized in New Westminster
Police in New Westminster say a recent traffic stop led to the seizure of more than 111-thousand dollars in cash, and drugs with a street value of about 100-thousand dollars. They say officers with its Gang Suppression Unit pulled over a suspicious vehicle last Thursday and arrested the driver, who was prohibited from driving.  

Over 111K seized in New Westminster