Saturday, February 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

Immigration leads to record population growth in several Quebec regions

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 16 Jan, 2025 01:31 PM
  • Immigration leads to record population growth in several Quebec regions

A new report from Quebec’s statistics institute says many of the province's regions grew at a record or near-record pace between 2023 and 2024, due in large part to immigration, while deaths outnumbered births for the first time.

Montreal led the way, adding more than 91,000 people between July 2023 and July 2024 for a 4.2-per-cent growth rate — one of the highest ever recorded in any region. 

"Montreal's growth alone accounts for 44 per cent of the total growth recorded in Quebec," the Institut de la statistique du Québec said Thursday in a news release. Quebec City set a new record at 2.4 per cent growth, while the city of Laval and the Outaouais and Mauricie regions followed closely behind. 

The institute said the growth is due mostly to immigration and temporary immigration in particular. Non-permanent residents, such as temporary workers, international students and asylum seekers, outnumbered newly admitted permanent residents in all regions and contributed to the majority of the growth, it noted.

The province added a total of about 208,000 people between July 2023 and July 2024, or 2.3 per cent — the highest growth rate recorded for an equivalent period since comparable data collection began in the early 1970s. Every region in the province except the Côte-Nord grew, the report said.

"The majority of (regions) recorded one of their strongest growths, if not the strongest, since the data became available," the authors wrote.

Quebec Premier François Legault has taken measures in recent months to reduce the number of temporary immigrants in the province, citing a desire to protect the French language and relieve pressure on housing, education, and health care.

Those announcements have included freezing some immigration streams, including for some low-wage temporary foreign workers and two programs that normally provide paths to permanent residency. Legault has also repeatedly called on the federal government to do more to limit the number of temporary newcomers arriving in the country and ensure asylum seekers are resettled more equally among the provinces.

Legault said last year that the number of temporary immigrants in Quebec had doubled to 600,000 from 300,000 in two years.

In its report, the institute also said the province recorded slightly more deaths than births during the one-year span between 2023 and 2024 — the first time since data collection began that Quebec has had a natural population decline over an equivalent time frame.

Deaths outnumbered births in 12 of the province's 17 regions, resulting in an overall balance of  1,150 more deaths than births. However, Montreal, Laval, Montérégie and Outaouais recorded more births than deaths. Between July 2022 and July 2023, there were 696 more births than deaths across the province.

Northern Quebec is the only region of the province where births remain the main contributor to population growth, the report added.

MORE National ARTICLES

Snowfall warning triggers travel advisories for two B.C. highways

Snowfall warning triggers travel advisories for two B.C. highways
Environment Canada has also issued snowfall warnings for a number of areas in B.C. as a low pressure system from the Pacific Ocean approaches after an unusually warm December. The weather agency says the area around Whistler and the Howe Sound can expect accumulation at elevations above 400 metres, with the ski resort community getting as much as 15 centimetres.

Snowfall warning triggers travel advisories for two B.C. highways

Surrey RCMP need public's help in locating missing male Narinder Sandhu

Surrey RCMP need public's help in locating missing male Narinder Sandhu
Narinder Sandhu is described as a 69 year old South Asian Male. He is 5"7 with a slim build with white facial hair. He is believed to be riding a white Infinity mountain bike. Anyone with information on the whereabouts of Narinder Sandhu is asked to contact the Surrey RCMP at 604 599 0502. 

Surrey RCMP need public's help in locating missing male Narinder Sandhu

Abbotsford Police handed out close to 300 tickets in project joyride

Abbotsford Police handed out close to 300 tickets in project joyride
Police in Abbotsford say they handed out close to 300 traffic tickets and impounded more than 100 vehicles in what it called "project joyride." The department’s traffic enforcement unit spent numerous shifts in October and November focusing on high-risk driving behaviours such as speeding and street racing.

Abbotsford Police handed out close to 300 tickets in project joyride

Trucking group's B.C. firm suspended for overpass strike, but still runs Alberta arm

Trucking group's B.C. firm suspended for overpass strike, but still runs Alberta arm
B.C.'s Transport Ministry says in a statement it has reached out to counterparts in Alberta about the suspension of the safety certificate for Chohan Freight Forwarders' 65-truck fleet. The statement came after social media users shared photographs they said were taken in B.C. this week that showed trucks branded "Chohan Group" and "Edmonton." A truck operated by Langley, B.C., based Chohan Freight Forwarders was involved in the Dec. 28 crash that lodged a steel girder in an overpass over Highway 99 in Delta.

Trucking group's B.C. firm suspended for overpass strike, but still runs Alberta arm

B.C. government fined $710K for unsafe wildfire mitigation work

B.C. government fined $710K for unsafe wildfire mitigation work
British Columbia's government has been fined more than $700,000 after inspectors say they found unsafe wildfire mitigation practices at a site in the province's northeast. A summary posted online by WorkSafeBC says inspectors went to a site near Wonowon, B.C., where trees were being cut down to reduce wildfire fuel, finding evidence of unsafe cuts.  

B.C. government fined $710K for unsafe wildfire mitigation work

Burnaby RCMP investigating a sexual assault that occurred on New Year's Eve

Burnaby RCMP investigating a sexual assault that occurred on New Year's Eve
Mounties say the suspect is a South Asian man in his 40s with a slim build, and investigators are seeking dashcam footage from the area of Brentwood Drive between Beta Avenue and Delta Avenue from between 6 and 7 p-m on New Year’s Eve.   

Burnaby RCMP investigating a sexual assault that occurred on New Year's Eve