Saturday, February 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

Immigration leads to record population growth in several Quebec regions

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 16 Jan, 2025 01:31 PM
  • Immigration leads to record population growth in several Quebec regions

A new report from Quebec’s statistics institute says many of the province's regions grew at a record or near-record pace between 2023 and 2024, due in large part to immigration, while deaths outnumbered births for the first time.

Montreal led the way, adding more than 91,000 people between July 2023 and July 2024 for a 4.2-per-cent growth rate — one of the highest ever recorded in any region. 

"Montreal's growth alone accounts for 44 per cent of the total growth recorded in Quebec," the Institut de la statistique du Québec said Thursday in a news release. Quebec City set a new record at 2.4 per cent growth, while the city of Laval and the Outaouais and Mauricie regions followed closely behind. 

The institute said the growth is due mostly to immigration and temporary immigration in particular. Non-permanent residents, such as temporary workers, international students and asylum seekers, outnumbered newly admitted permanent residents in all regions and contributed to the majority of the growth, it noted.

The province added a total of about 208,000 people between July 2023 and July 2024, or 2.3 per cent — the highest growth rate recorded for an equivalent period since comparable data collection began in the early 1970s. Every region in the province except the Côte-Nord grew, the report said.

"The majority of (regions) recorded one of their strongest growths, if not the strongest, since the data became available," the authors wrote.

Quebec Premier François Legault has taken measures in recent months to reduce the number of temporary immigrants in the province, citing a desire to protect the French language and relieve pressure on housing, education, and health care.

Those announcements have included freezing some immigration streams, including for some low-wage temporary foreign workers and two programs that normally provide paths to permanent residency. Legault has also repeatedly called on the federal government to do more to limit the number of temporary newcomers arriving in the country and ensure asylum seekers are resettled more equally among the provinces.

Legault said last year that the number of temporary immigrants in Quebec had doubled to 600,000 from 300,000 in two years.

In its report, the institute also said the province recorded slightly more deaths than births during the one-year span between 2023 and 2024 — the first time since data collection began that Quebec has had a natural population decline over an equivalent time frame.

Deaths outnumbered births in 12 of the province's 17 regions, resulting in an overall balance of  1,150 more deaths than births. However, Montreal, Laval, Montérégie and Outaouais recorded more births than deaths. Between July 2022 and July 2023, there were 696 more births than deaths across the province.

Northern Quebec is the only region of the province where births remain the main contributor to population growth, the report added.

MORE National ARTICLES

B.C. union representing Lower Mainland transit workers issues 72-hour strike notice

B.C. union representing Lower Mainland transit workers issues 72-hour strike notice
A union representing more than 180 transit workers in B.C. has issued a 72-hour strike notice. CUPE Local 4500 represents workers employed by the Coast Mountain Bus Company, which runs transit operations for all of Metro Vancouver. The notice is effective at 8 a.m. local time on Wednesday.  

B.C. union representing Lower Mainland transit workers issues 72-hour strike notice

1 injured in Surrey shooting

1 injured in Surrey shooting
Mounties in Surrey say a man suffered serious injuries after a shooting in Port Kells Monday night. Surrey R-C-M-P say they were called to a report of shots fired on 92nd Avenue around 10 p-m where they found a 19-year-old victim with a gunshot wound. 

1 injured in Surrey shooting

Eby to target predators after talking to dad of sextortion victim Carson Cleland, 12

Eby to target predators after talking to dad of sextortion victim Carson Cleland, 12
The premier says he spoke with Carson's father who told him that since their son's death, the family has been contacted by the families of three of his classmates, who said their children were also talking online with strangers. Eby says people from across B.C. have been contacting his office saying their children were in situations similar to Carson's and they only found out due to publicity surrounding the boy's death.

Eby to target predators after talking to dad of sextortion victim Carson Cleland, 12

Canada faces green Christmas as El Nino follows warm summer, head climatologist says

Canada faces green Christmas as El Nino follows warm summer, head climatologist says
Cypress Mountain north of Vancouver said on social media platform X, formerly Twitter, that it had to close on Tuesday "due to inclement weather," with high temperatures forecasted to reach 9 C on Friday and sunny weather expected throughout the weekend before rain returns on Christmas Day. It's the same everywhere you look. 

Canada faces green Christmas as El Nino follows warm summer, head climatologist says

'Dedication to serving Canadians': PM pays tribute to former MP John Godfrey

'Dedication to serving Canadians': PM pays tribute to former MP John Godfrey
The late John Godfrey, a former university president, newspaper editor and Liberal MP, made meaningful and lasting contributions to public life, recalled Prime Minister Justin Trudeau. The Toronto-born Godfrey founded the School of Journalism at the University of King’s College in Halifax, was editor of the Financial Post and served as an MP from 1993 to 2008.

'Dedication to serving Canadians': PM pays tribute to former MP John Godfrey

Eby to target predators after talking to dad of sextortion victim Carson Cleland, 12

Eby to target predators after talking to dad of sextortion victim Carson Cleland, 12
Premier David Eby says an emotional conversation with the father of a 12-year-old British Columbia boy who killed himself after falling prey to online sextortion has prompted him to push for more protections for youth. Eby says the New Democrat government plans changes in the new year honouring the memory of Carson Cleland of Prince George, who police said died in October after being victimized online.  

Eby to target predators after talking to dad of sextortion victim Carson Cleland, 12