Sunday, February 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Immigration leads to record population growth in several Quebec regions

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 16 Jan, 2025 01:31 PM
  • Immigration leads to record population growth in several Quebec regions

A new report from Quebec’s statistics institute says many of the province's regions grew at a record or near-record pace between 2023 and 2024, due in large part to immigration, while deaths outnumbered births for the first time.

Montreal led the way, adding more than 91,000 people between July 2023 and July 2024 for a 4.2-per-cent growth rate — one of the highest ever recorded in any region. 

"Montreal's growth alone accounts for 44 per cent of the total growth recorded in Quebec," the Institut de la statistique du Québec said Thursday in a news release. Quebec City set a new record at 2.4 per cent growth, while the city of Laval and the Outaouais and Mauricie regions followed closely behind. 

The institute said the growth is due mostly to immigration and temporary immigration in particular. Non-permanent residents, such as temporary workers, international students and asylum seekers, outnumbered newly admitted permanent residents in all regions and contributed to the majority of the growth, it noted.

The province added a total of about 208,000 people between July 2023 and July 2024, or 2.3 per cent — the highest growth rate recorded for an equivalent period since comparable data collection began in the early 1970s. Every region in the province except the Côte-Nord grew, the report said.

"The majority of (regions) recorded one of their strongest growths, if not the strongest, since the data became available," the authors wrote.

Quebec Premier François Legault has taken measures in recent months to reduce the number of temporary immigrants in the province, citing a desire to protect the French language and relieve pressure on housing, education, and health care.

Those announcements have included freezing some immigration streams, including for some low-wage temporary foreign workers and two programs that normally provide paths to permanent residency. Legault has also repeatedly called on the federal government to do more to limit the number of temporary newcomers arriving in the country and ensure asylum seekers are resettled more equally among the provinces.

Legault said last year that the number of temporary immigrants in Quebec had doubled to 600,000 from 300,000 in two years.

In its report, the institute also said the province recorded slightly more deaths than births during the one-year span between 2023 and 2024 — the first time since data collection began that Quebec has had a natural population decline over an equivalent time frame.

Deaths outnumbered births in 12 of the province's 17 regions, resulting in an overall balance of  1,150 more deaths than births. However, Montreal, Laval, Montérégie and Outaouais recorded more births than deaths. Between July 2022 and July 2023, there were 696 more births than deaths across the province.

Northern Quebec is the only region of the province where births remain the main contributor to population growth, the report added.

MORE National ARTICLES

No charges in B.C. 2022 Christmas Eve bus crash that left 4 dead

No charges in B.C. 2022 Christmas Eve bus crash that left 4 dead
The prosecution service guideline says in order for charges to be approved, there must be a "substantial likelihood of conviction" based on the strength of the evidence as well as the public interest being served in a prosecution. The crash of the bus operated by Alberta-based Ebus happened on Highway 97C, the Okanagan Connector, east of Merritt, when the bus went off the road and flipped on its side

No charges in B.C. 2022 Christmas Eve bus crash that left 4 dead

1 year pilot project to provide free menstrual supplies in 15 facilities across Delta

1 year pilot project to provide free menstrual supplies in 15 facilities across Delta
The City of Delta has launched a one-year pilot project to provide free menstrual supplies in 15 facilities across the city. Pads and tampons are now available at washrooms of the city’s public facilities and they will be replenished in the same way toilet paper and paper towel are in washrooms. 

1 year pilot project to provide free menstrual supplies in 15 facilities across Delta

Truth and Reconciliation Commission calls to action won't be done until 2081: report

Truth and Reconciliation Commission calls to action won't be done until 2081: report
A new report from the Yellowhead Institute says Canada won't complete all 94 of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission's calls to action until 2081. The institute found that no calls to action were completed over the course of 2023. 

Truth and Reconciliation Commission calls to action won't be done until 2081: report

Pharmacare not a priority for most and East Coast outages persist

Pharmacare not a priority for most and East Coast outages persist
As Liberals and New Democrats negotiate what a future national drug plan should look like, a new survey suggests pharmacare is not at the top of the priority list for most Canadians. The survey shows that when asked to name their top two health-care priorities, only 18 per cent of those surveyed said the government should prioritize creating a new, universal, single-payer drug plan.

Pharmacare not a priority for most and East Coast outages persist

CRA has fired 185 employees for 'inappropriately' claiming COVID-19 CERB benefits

CRA has fired 185 employees for 'inappropriately' claiming COVID-19 CERB benefits
The Canada Revenue Agency says 185 employees have been fired to date for claiming a federal COVID-19 benefit when they were not eligible for it. That's an increase of 65 since the CRA last updated the public on its review in September. 

CRA has fired 185 employees for 'inappropriately' claiming COVID-19 CERB benefits

BC company forfeits 10M to Province

BC company forfeits 10M to Province
A B-C company has forfeited 10 million dollars to the province over allegations it provided payment services for people around the world who ran scams aimed at elderly seniors.  Solicitor General Mike Farnworth says a settlement agreement with PacNet Services is the largest such confiscation in the history of its civil forfeiture program.   

BC company forfeits 10M to Province