Sunday, May 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Immigration minister says struggling universities must ask provinces for help

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 30 Jan, 2026 09:37 AM
  • Immigration minister says struggling universities must ask provinces for help

Canada’s immigration minister says universities and colleges struggling to balance the books after federal cuts to the international student program will have to turn to their provincial governments for financial help. 

Lena Diab told a crowd in Halifax on Friday that there were more than one million foreign students in Canada at the beginning of 2024 and that dropped to about 700,000 by November 2025. 

She said the influx of newcomers after the pandemic, including international students, put unsustainable pressure on the health-care system, housing and other services, but the government is now on the path to finding a balance. 

Universities across the country are struggling with the drop in international enrolment, as those students typically pay much higher tuition costs than Canadian students.  

This week, for example, Newfoundland and Labrador's Memorial University announced it was selling off several buildings, including its campus in England, as it seeks to cut spending by $25 million. 

Diab said she understands post-secondary institutions are concerned, but said provincial governments are responsible for any financial help the sector needs.

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Adrian Wyld

MORE National ARTICLES

BCIT getting 2 flight simulators

BCIT getting 2 flight simulators
BC's Institute of Technology is getting two state-of-the-art flight simulators at its Richmond campus. They come from Canadian aviation simulator manufacturer Flightdeck Solutions.

BCIT getting 2 flight simulators

Supreme Court certifies B.C.'s class-action lawsuit against opioid providers

Supreme Court certifies B.C.'s class-action lawsuit against opioid providers
British Columbia's attorney general says the Supreme Court of Canada has certified the province's class-action lawsuit against opioid manufacturers and distributors. Niki Sharma says B.C. can now proceed as a representative plaintiff on behalf of other Canadian governments with the litigation aimed at recovering the costs of treating opioid-related diseases allegedly caused by the industry's conduct.

Supreme Court certifies B.C.'s class-action lawsuit against opioid providers

Mount Polley boss says 2014 B.C. mine spill not toxic as firm faces fisheries charges

Mount Polley boss says 2014 B.C. mine spill not toxic as firm faces fisheries charges
Imperial Metals Corp. and two other firms were charged last month with 15 alleged Fisheries Act breaches, accused of allowing a "deleterious substance" from the mine's tailings pond into several bodies of water.

Mount Polley boss says 2014 B.C. mine spill not toxic as firm faces fisheries charges

Poilievre 'not aware' of more than two genders; says there are other priorities

Poilievre 'not aware' of more than two genders; says there are other priorities
Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre says he is only aware of two genders — male and female — and that the government should leave people alone. In an interview with CP24 news channel, Poilievre was asked about President Donald Trump signing an executive order declaring the U.S. will only recognize two sexes and that they are unchangeable.

Poilievre 'not aware' of more than two genders; says there are other priorities

Carney, Arya file paperwork, officially entering Liberal leadership race

Carney, Arya file paperwork, officially entering Liberal leadership race
Liberal leadership candidates Mark Carney and Chandra Arya have submitted their paperwork to enter the race ahead of tomorrow's deadline. The two appear to be the first through that gate, submitting the required signatures and a $50,000 deposit.

Carney, Arya file paperwork, officially entering Liberal leadership race

Ottawa should compensate Afghan interpreters, military ombud says

Ottawa should compensate Afghan interpreters, military ombud says
The federal government failed in its duty to language and cultural advisers who worked for Canada's military during the Afghanistan conflict, says a report by Robyn Hynes, interim ombud for the Department of National Defence.

Ottawa should compensate Afghan interpreters, military ombud says