Tuesday, May 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Immigration minister says struggling universities must ask provinces for help

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 30 Jan, 2026 09:37 AM
  • Immigration minister says struggling universities must ask provinces for help

Canada’s immigration minister says universities and colleges struggling to balance the books after federal cuts to the international student program will have to turn to their provincial governments for financial help. 

Lena Diab told a crowd in Halifax on Friday that there were more than one million foreign students in Canada at the beginning of 2024 and that dropped to about 700,000 by November 2025. 

She said the influx of newcomers after the pandemic, including international students, put unsustainable pressure on the health-care system, housing and other services, but the government is now on the path to finding a balance. 

Universities across the country are struggling with the drop in international enrolment, as those students typically pay much higher tuition costs than Canadian students.  

This week, for example, Newfoundland and Labrador's Memorial University announced it was selling off several buildings, including its campus in England, as it seeks to cut spending by $25 million. 

Diab said she understands post-secondary institutions are concerned, but said provincial governments are responsible for any financial help the sector needs.

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Adrian Wyld

MORE National ARTICLES

CBC needed with Elon Musk ‘meddling’ in Canadian politics: heritage minister

CBC needed with Elon Musk ‘meddling’ in Canadian politics: heritage minister
Elon Musk’s increasing "meddling" in politics and recent changes at Meta to eliminate fact-checking make Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre’s promise to defund the CBC even more consequential, said Heritage Minister Pascale St-Onge. She said the issue isn’t about left or right-wing politics, or "even if you like the CBC or not."

CBC needed with Elon Musk ‘meddling’ in Canadian politics: heritage minister

Champagne to announce leadership intentions today

Champagne to announce leadership intentions today
Industry Minister François-Philippe Champagne plans to reveal his intentions for the Liberal leadership race today.  So far, Ontario MP Chandra Arya and former Montreal MP Frank Baylis are the only two to officially join the contest.

Champagne to announce leadership intentions today

One in 10 Canadians live in places susceptible to green transition disruption: report

One in 10 Canadians live in places susceptible to green transition disruption: report
The Institute for Research on Public Policy says governments in Canada have work to do to support the 68 communities it identified as susceptible on the path to drastically lowering Canada's emissions. 

One in 10 Canadians live in places susceptible to green transition disruption: report

Carney talks tariffs, Trump, Liberal leadership in Daily Show interview

Carney talks tariffs, Trump, Liberal leadership in Daily Show interview
Mark Carney went on late-night television in the U.S. Monday to talk Trump, tariffs and carbon tax, but played coy on any plans to seek the Liberal leadership. The former Bank of Canada and Bank of England governor appeared on “The Daily Show” with Jon Stewart for a 20-minute sit-down interview. 

Carney talks tariffs, Trump, Liberal leadership in Daily Show interview

Quebec ready to deploy 300 officers at border if illegal crossings into U.S. rise

Quebec ready to deploy 300 officers at border if illegal crossings into U.S. rise
The Quebec government says it is worried about migrants crossing illegally into the United States from Canada, and is calling on the RCMP to deploy the necessary resources at the border. François Bonnardel, Quebec's public security minister, made the comments today in the provincial capital, one week before the inauguration of Donald Trump as U.S. president.

Quebec ready to deploy 300 officers at border if illegal crossings into U.S. rise

Tariffs from U.S. could cost up to 500k Ontario jobs, Doug Ford says

Tariffs from U.S. could cost up to 500k Ontario jobs, Doug Ford says
The actual number of Ontario jobs affected by the 25 per cent tariffs on Canadian goods that Trump has signalled are coming will depend on what sectors are targeted, Ford said, but the ministries have told him it could be between 450,000 to 500,000.

Tariffs from U.S. could cost up to 500k Ontario jobs, Doug Ford says