Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Incoming prime minister Mark Carney says he has put his assets in a blind trust

Darpan News Desk IANS, 11 Mar, 2025 09:48 AM
  • Incoming prime minister Mark Carney says he has put his assets in a blind trust

Mark Carney's leadership campaign says he has given a "full and robust conflict of interest management plan" to the country's ethics commissioner.

In a media statement, the campaign says that as part of that plan, Carney has divested all of his assets other than personal real estate into a blind trust.

The campaign spokesperson says this happened four months before it was required by law.

Carney will become subject to Canada's conflict of interest laws once he's sworn in as prime minister, giving him a 60-day window to disclose financial information to the ethics commissioner.

Within 120 days of taking office, a cabinet minister or parliamentary secretary must divest controlled assets by selling them at arm's length or putting them in a blind trust.

The Conservatives have taken aim at Carney over his assets in recent weeks, calling him "sneaky" and claiming he was exploiting a loophole in the laws by not disclosing his assets as soon as he became a candidate for the Liberal leadership.

MORE National ARTICLES

Flights cancelled as heavy fog cuts visibility to near zero in Metro Vancouver

Flights cancelled as heavy fog cuts visibility to near zero in Metro Vancouver
Dense fog has reduced visibility to near-zero for the third straight day in Metro Vancouver, cancelling flights and creating potentially hazardous travel conditions. Environment Canada says a fog advisory is in effect for the Greater Vancouver area, as well as the Fraser Valley, Sunshine Coast and eastern Vancouver Island.

Flights cancelled as heavy fog cuts visibility to near zero in Metro Vancouver

Stabbing near Princess Margaret Secondary School in Surrey

Stabbing near Princess Margaret Secondary School in Surrey
One person is in custody and another is receiving treatment after a stabbing this morning in Surrey. Police say it happened near Princess Margaret Secondary school, which was placed under a temporary "hold and secure" order for a short time.

Stabbing near Princess Margaret Secondary School in Surrey

Suspect arrested in downtown Vancouver stranger assault: police

Suspect arrested in downtown Vancouver stranger assault: police
Police say they've arrested a suspect five days after an unprovoked assault in downtown Vancouver. They say the alleged attack happened last Thursday in front of the Hudson's Bay store on West Georgia Street, where it was caught on surveillance video.

Suspect arrested in downtown Vancouver stranger assault: police

Vancouver stabbing suspect dead after being shot by police

Vancouver stabbing suspect dead after being shot by police
The suspect in a downtown Vancouver stabbing attack has died in hospital after being shot by police. Vancouver police say two people suffered injuries that are not thought to be life threatening.

Vancouver stabbing suspect dead after being shot by police

Postal union says it sent new proposals to mediator as strike nears three weeks

Postal union says it sent new proposals to mediator as strike nears three weeks
The Canadian Union of Postal Workers says it's sent another round of counter-proposals to the federal mediator appointed to help it reach a deal with Canada Post as a countrywide strike nears the three-week mark. The union says it's ready to get back to federal mediation, which was put on pause last week as the two sides appeared too far apart to reach an agreement.

Postal union says it sent new proposals to mediator as strike nears three weeks

Minister defends decision to accept Taylor Swift tickets from B.C. Crown corporation

Minister defends decision to accept Taylor Swift tickets from B.C. Crown corporation
Liberal Minister Harjit Sajjan is defending his decision to accept an invitation from a B.C. Crown corporation to attend a Taylor Swift concert. A spokeswoman for Sajjan says the minister only accepted the tickets after receiving clearance from the ethics commissioner.

Minister defends decision to accept Taylor Swift tickets from B.C. Crown corporation