Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Incoming prime minister Mark Carney says he has put his assets in a blind trust

Darpan News Desk IANS, 11 Mar, 2025 09:48 AM
  • Incoming prime minister Mark Carney says he has put his assets in a blind trust

Mark Carney's leadership campaign says he has given a "full and robust conflict of interest management plan" to the country's ethics commissioner.

In a media statement, the campaign says that as part of that plan, Carney has divested all of his assets other than personal real estate into a blind trust.

The campaign spokesperson says this happened four months before it was required by law.

Carney will become subject to Canada's conflict of interest laws once he's sworn in as prime minister, giving him a 60-day window to disclose financial information to the ethics commissioner.

Within 120 days of taking office, a cabinet minister or parliamentary secretary must divest controlled assets by selling them at arm's length or putting them in a blind trust.

The Conservatives have taken aim at Carney over his assets in recent weeks, calling him "sneaky" and claiming he was exploiting a loophole in the laws by not disclosing his assets as soon as he became a candidate for the Liberal leadership.

MORE National ARTICLES

Vancouver Island doctors set up overdose prevention sites without government blessing

Vancouver Island doctors set up overdose prevention sites without government blessing
Doctors on Vancouver Island say they're setting up unsanctioned overdose prevention sites on the grounds of Nanaimo General and Royal Jubilee hospitals this week because the B.C. government hasn't lived up to its promise to set aside space for the sites. Dr. Jess Wilder, an addictions and family medicine practitioner in Nanaimo, says her work has been mired in "controversy and politicization" lately, and setting up overdose prevention sites is "about saving lives." 

Vancouver Island doctors set up overdose prevention sites without government blessing

Trial begins for men accused in migrants' deaths near Manitoba border crossing

Trial begins for men accused in migrants' deaths near Manitoba border crossing
Jury selection is underway in the trial of two men accused of smuggling migrants across the Canada-U. S. border. Harshkumar Ramanlal Patel and Steve Shand are accused of being part of operation that brought people from India to Canada, then across the border from Manitoba to Minnesota.

Trial begins for men accused in migrants' deaths near Manitoba border crossing

Trudeau talks root causes of hunger at G20, will meet with Biden, other leaders

Trudeau talks root causes of hunger at G20, will meet with Biden, other leaders
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau argues gender equality has to be part of any solution to solving global poverty and hunger. He is at the G20 summit in Brazil, where President Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva has made poverty the subject of the opening discussion among leaders.

Trudeau talks root causes of hunger at G20, will meet with Biden, other leaders

Fall storm could bring 'hurricane force' winds to B.C.

Fall storm could bring 'hurricane force' winds to B.C.
Environment Canada posted a special weather statement saying the storm will develop off the coast of Vancouver Island on Tuesday, bringing high winds and heavy rain to some areas starting in the afternoon.

Fall storm could bring 'hurricane force' winds to B.C.

Eby introduces new-look B.C. NDP cabinet in slim, one-seat majority government

Eby introduces new-look B.C. NDP cabinet in slim, one-seat majority government
Premier David Eby will introduce his new cabinet in British Columbia today after last month's tight election win that gave his New Democrats a slim, one-seat majority. Eby's NDP government holds 47 seats in the 93-seat legislature.

Eby introduces new-look B.C. NDP cabinet in slim, one-seat majority government

Claims open in $12.5M class-action settlement over WestJet baggage fees

Claims open in $12.5M class-action settlement over WestJet baggage fees
Some travellers who checked baggage on certain WestJet flights between 2014 and 2019 may now claim their share of a class-action settlement approved by the British Columbia Supreme Court last month and valued at $12.5 million. The law firm based in Burnaby says the settlement will be distributed to class members in the form of WestJet travel credits, not cash.

Claims open in $12.5M class-action settlement over WestJet baggage fees