Sunday, February 15, 2026
ADVT 
National

Incoming prime minister Mark Carney says he has put his assets in a blind trust

Darpan News Desk IANS, 11 Mar, 2025 09:48 AM
  • Incoming prime minister Mark Carney says he has put his assets in a blind trust

Mark Carney's leadership campaign says he has given a "full and robust conflict of interest management plan" to the country's ethics commissioner.

In a media statement, the campaign says that as part of that plan, Carney has divested all of his assets other than personal real estate into a blind trust.

The campaign spokesperson says this happened four months before it was required by law.

Carney will become subject to Canada's conflict of interest laws once he's sworn in as prime minister, giving him a 60-day window to disclose financial information to the ethics commissioner.

Within 120 days of taking office, a cabinet minister or parliamentary secretary must divest controlled assets by selling them at arm's length or putting them in a blind trust.

The Conservatives have taken aim at Carney over his assets in recent weeks, calling him "sneaky" and claiming he was exploiting a loophole in the laws by not disclosing his assets as soon as he became a candidate for the Liberal leadership.

MORE National ARTICLES

Freeland says Liberal leadership candidates should pledge to run as MPs

Freeland says Liberal leadership candidates should pledge to run as MPs
Former finance minister Chrystia Freeland called Friday for four Liberal leadership debates Friday and said the other leadership candidates should commit to running in the next election under the party banner — no matter who wins. In an open letter to the other candidates, Freeland said that the four debates, two in each official language, should be held as soon as possible.

Freeland says Liberal leadership candidates should pledge to run as MPs

Federal government using AI to tackle Phoenix backlog as it tests replacement system

Federal government using AI to tackle Phoenix backlog as it tests replacement system
The federal government is expanding its use of artificial intelligence to clear a backlog of Phoenix pay system transactions as it transitions to a new platform. Alex Benay, associate deputy minister at Public Services and Procurement Canada, says his team will be able to share a recommendation with the government on whether it should adopt the Dayforce system as its new human resources and payroll platform by the end of March. 

Federal government using AI to tackle Phoenix backlog as it tests replacement system

Edmonton school board, union for support staff head back to bargaining table

Edmonton school board, union for support staff head back to bargaining table
The union representing school support workers in Edmonton says it has returned to the bargaining table with the city's public school board. Some 3,000 staff, from educational assistants to cafeteria workers, have been on picket lines since Jan. 13 over a wage dispute with the Edmonton Public School Board.

Edmonton school board, union for support staff head back to bargaining table

Escaped prison inmate arrested in Saskatchewan after three weeks

Escaped prison inmate arrested in Saskatchewan after three weeks
RCMP say an inmate has been arrested three weeks after he escaped from a federal prison in Saskatchewan. Mounties say they were searching for Glen Halkett in the Rosthern, Sask., area and spotted him as a passenger in a vehicle with three others. 

Escaped prison inmate arrested in Saskatchewan after three weeks

Six migrants found crossing border on foot in freezing temperatures: Manitoba RCMP

Six migrants found crossing border on foot in freezing temperatures: Manitoba RCMP
Mounties in Manitoba say six people from multiple countries were caught last week trying to illegally cross into Canada from the United States. Police say the group was spotted from the air crossing the border on foot near Emerson on Jan. 14. 

Six migrants found crossing border on foot in freezing temperatures: Manitoba RCMP

Vancouver mayor proposes pause on new supportive housing in Downtown Eastside

Vancouver mayor proposes pause on new supportive housing in Downtown Eastside
Vancouver Mayor Ken Sim has unveiled a plan to revitalize the city's troubled Downtown Eastside, including pausing the construction of net new supportive housing units. Sim told a Save Our Streets forum, held by a coalition of groups concerned about crime and public safety in B.C., that the proposal is one of three key policy shifts being planned to transform the Downtown Eastside.

Vancouver mayor proposes pause on new supportive housing in Downtown Eastside