Monday, May 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Indian-Americans Protest 'Hinduphobic' CNN Documentary Over 'Aghoris'

Darpan News Desk, 27 Mar, 2017 12:30 PM
    A large contingent of Indian-Americans gathered outside the CNN office in Chicago after the channel aired a documentary that "tarnished" Hinduism, the media reported.
     
    The protest held on Sunday was attended by over 600 Indian-Americans, the American Bazaar reported.
     
    "We are here to protest against the show aired on CNN called 'Believer', directed by Reza Aslan. The community is outraged by the way he presented Hinduism. We are 2.5 million Hindus living in the country peacefully and projecting Hindus in a bad light was an evil work done by Aslan," said Shamkant Sheth, President of Vishwa Hindu Parishad of America (VHPA), Chicago. 
     
    "It is a gross mistake by CNN to broadcast this show. We had requested CNN not to broadcast this show, but they aired it."
     
    "Raza Aslan, even though he claims to be religious, which he is not, just met a few people in Varanasi who are called 'Aghoris' (Hindu sadhus devoted to Lord Shiva). I just do not understand why he chose to show this when Hinduism has offered this world so many good things like yoga and spirituality," Sheth added.
     
    A letter distributed during the protest said: "This was his (Aslan's) picture of Hinduism projected to the world on CNN."
     
    The protest was organised to condemn and send a message to CNN to stop such programmes and to send positive messages about Hindus and Indians, the American Bazaar said. 
     
    According to the organisers, it was to highlight the beliefs and identity of the community, and also, its strengths to the mainstream media, and America, in general.
     
    In one of his Facebook posts, Aslan said that his show is not about Hinduism but the Aghoris who follow extreme rituals.
     
    He also said that the portrayal of sensitive issues such as caste discrimination in the documentary could have offended some people, including many Hindus in America.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    PIC: New Brunswick Premier Brian Gallant Announces Engagement On Twitter

    PIC: New Brunswick Premier Brian Gallant Announces Engagement On Twitter
    Gallant, who is in his mid-30s, posted the news Monday in both official languages on his Twitter feed, and his office later confirmed it.

    PIC: New Brunswick Premier Brian Gallant Announces Engagement On Twitter

    Liberals Nearing Decision On How To Spend $800M Earmarked For Innovation

    The government earmarked the cash in last year's budget to support "innovation networks and clusters" as part of federal plans to help budding companies scale up significantly.

    Liberals Nearing Decision On How To Spend $800M Earmarked For Innovation

    Garage Owner Gets Chance To Fight Liability For Teen Hurt In Stolen Car Crash

    Garage Owner Gets Chance To Fight Liability For Teen Hurt In Stolen Car Crash
    TORONTO — A garage owner will get a chance to argue before the Supreme Court of Canada that he should not be held responsible for the terrible injuries a teen suffered when he and a friend stole a car from the lot and crashed it.

    Garage Owner Gets Chance To Fight Liability For Teen Hurt In Stolen Car Crash

    Ex-Gitmo Detainee Omar Khadr Recovering From 19-Hour Shoulder Surgery

    TORONTO — Former Guantanamo Bay inmate Omar Khadr is recovering from a 19-hour operation on a shoulder that was badly injured in Afghanistan 15 years ago, his lawyer said Monday.

    Ex-Gitmo Detainee Omar Khadr Recovering From 19-Hour Shoulder Surgery

    Foreign Buyer Tax Alone Won't Fix Toronto Housing Crisis: Report

    Foreign Buyer Tax Alone Won't Fix Toronto Housing Crisis: Report
    "The surtax essentially gets wiped out if you're earning money locally and paying taxes locally or in Canada," said report author Josh Gordon, an assistant professor at Simon Fraser University.

    Foreign Buyer Tax Alone Won't Fix Toronto Housing Crisis: Report

    Snowmobilers Missing Near 100 Mile House, B.C., Found Safe

    South Cariboo Search and Rescue say teams were sent out to look for two young men Saturday night after they were reported missing when they didn't come home for dinner.

    Snowmobilers Missing Near 100 Mile House, B.C., Found Safe