Monday, May 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Indian-origin man charged with stealing donations from temples in Canada

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Feb, 2024 11:25 AM
  • Indian-origin man charged with stealing donations from temples in Canada

Toronto, Feb 6 (IANS) A 41-year-old Indo-Canadian man has been charged with breaking into temples and stealing cash from donation boxes.

The accused has been identified as Jagdish Pandher from Brampton city.

According to police, multiple break-and-enter incidents were reported in Peel Region comprising Brampton, Mississauga and Caledon between March and August 2023.

Surveillance footage from three places of worship showed the suspect breaking into temples and stealing cash from donation boxes.

Pandher was also caught on surveillance cameras breaking into other commercial locations and stealing money.

Following a lengthy and coordinated investigation by police agencies across the Greater Toronto Area, Pandher of Brampton has been identified as the suspect.

Pandher, who is already in custody for similar offences, has been charged with five more counts of breaking in temples and businesses and stealing money.

MORE National ARTICLES

B.C. police sound alarm over wealthy cryptocurrency investors being robbed

B.C. police sound alarm over wealthy cryptocurrency investors being robbed
Police in Richmond and Delta are warning the public of a disturbing trend of high-value cryptocurrency investors being targeted for home invasions. Richmond RCMP and Delta Police say they have responded to several calls of reported robberies in the homes of cryptocurrency investors over the past year. 

B.C. police sound alarm over wealthy cryptocurrency investors being robbed

BC Coroners Service blames illicit drug supply for 184 deaths in June

BC Coroners Service blames illicit drug supply for 184 deaths in June
The BC Coroners Service says 184 people died in the province in June due to the toxic, unregulated drug supply that has claimed more than 1,200 lives in the first half of this year.  The coroners service says the numbers show how risky it continues to be for users who access their drugs on the illicit market. 

BC Coroners Service blames illicit drug supply for 184 deaths in June

Federal Labour Minister Seamus O'Regan says port workers strike illegal

Federal Labour Minister Seamus O'Regan says port workers strike illegal
The International Longshore and Warehouse Union Canada says "employers have not addressed the cost of living issues" faced by workers in the last few years. The tentative four-year deal that was rejected had been proposed by a federal mediator at the instruction of O'Regan.    

Federal Labour Minister Seamus O'Regan says port workers strike illegal

Arson in Green Timbers Park

Arson in Green Timbers Park
Police in Surrey are investigating multiple fires set in Green Timbers Park early yesterday.  Officers conducted foot patrols after a citizen reported a fire and they found several other blazes. 

Arson in Green Timbers Park

Surrey Police decision coming today

Surrey Police decision coming today
The decision by Solicitor General Mike Farnworth comes amid a tug of war that saw city council vote for the Mounties despite a provincial recommendation they stay with the Surrey Police Service.

Surrey Police decision coming today

B.C. port strike back on after union rejects deal, saying four-year term is too long

B.C. port strike back on after union rejects deal, saying four-year term is too long
Rob Ashton, the president of the International Longshore Workers Union Canada, says in a statement that its caucus does not believe the deal can protect jobs "now or into the future." Ashton also says the four-year agreement is "far too long" given the uncertainties in the industry and the economy overall.  

B.C. port strike back on after union rejects deal, saying four-year term is too long