Wednesday, May 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Indian-origin man charged with stealing donations from temples in Canada

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Feb, 2024 11:25 AM
  • Indian-origin man charged with stealing donations from temples in Canada

Toronto, Feb 6 (IANS) A 41-year-old Indo-Canadian man has been charged with breaking into temples and stealing cash from donation boxes.

The accused has been identified as Jagdish Pandher from Brampton city.

According to police, multiple break-and-enter incidents were reported in Peel Region comprising Brampton, Mississauga and Caledon between March and August 2023.

Surveillance footage from three places of worship showed the suspect breaking into temples and stealing cash from donation boxes.

Pandher was also caught on surveillance cameras breaking into other commercial locations and stealing money.

Following a lengthy and coordinated investigation by police agencies across the Greater Toronto Area, Pandher of Brampton has been identified as the suspect.

Pandher, who is already in custody for similar offences, has been charged with five more counts of breaking in temples and businesses and stealing money.

MORE National ARTICLES

Fierce blaze damages several businesses, forces evacuation in downtown Vernon, B.C.

Fierce blaze damages several businesses, forces evacuation in downtown Vernon, B.C.
The single-storey complex has been heavily damaged, prompting the owner of the Okanagan Eatery, one of the affected businesses, to post a photo of the flames online, writing, "Wow, no words. Guess that's it."

Fierce blaze damages several businesses, forces evacuation in downtown Vernon, B.C.

Evacuation alerts end for Kelowna, B.C., residents as wildfire under control

Evacuation alerts end for Kelowna, B.C., residents as wildfire under control
Residents in the Poplar Point, Knox Mountain, Magic Estates and Clifton areas near the fire were under an evacuation order on Canada Day that was later downgraded to an alert as crews fought the flames. Kelowna RCMP assisted with an evacuation of more than 400 properties.

Evacuation alerts end for Kelowna, B.C., residents as wildfire under control

Further negotiations won't bring end to B.C. port workers strike, employers say

Further negotiations won't bring end to B.C. port workers strike, employers say
The BC Maritime Employers Association released a statement Monday afternoon saying it had gone as far as possible on core issues and it doesn't think more bargaining is going to produce a collective agreement. Thousands of union members walked off the job Saturday morning. Both sides negotiated over the weekend and were at the table earlier in the day on Monday.

Further negotiations won't bring end to B.C. port workers strike, employers say

Man dies in Coquitlam shooting

Man dies in Coquitlam shooting
R-C-M-P officers were called to the Foster Avenue and North Road area shortly before 9:30 p-m, where they found a man with gunshot wounds. The man died at the scene.

Man dies in Coquitlam shooting

Possible B.C. port strike will spare cruise ships, employers say

Possible B.C. port strike will spare cruise ships, employers say
A possible strike by British Columbia port workers will not disrupt cruise ships docked in Vancouver, Prince Rupert or Vancouver Island, employers say. The BC Maritime Employers Association says it and the union representing cargo loaders have "confirmed" that cruise ships will continue to be serviced if a strike starts Saturday morning.

Possible B.C. port strike will spare cruise ships, employers say

Union for SkyTrain workers reaches tentative five-year deal with BC Rapid Transit

Union for SkyTrain workers reaches tentative five-year deal with BC Rapid Transit
The union for more than 1,000 employees of Metro Vancouver's SkyTrain service says it has reached a tentative five-year deal with the BC Rapid Transit Co. CUPE 7000 says the new deal was reached after 10 days of negotiations, and includes future wage increases and improved benefits over the last contract. 

Union for SkyTrain workers reaches tentative five-year deal with BC Rapid Transit