Monday, May 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

India-UAE partnership deepens amid shifting regional dynamics

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 29 Apr, 2026 11:24 AM
  • India-UAE partnership deepens amid shifting regional dynamics

The bilateral partnership between India and the United Arab Emirates (UAE) is likely to deepen, reflecting strong alignment and shared understanding amid the West Asia crisis.

This growing trust is also evident in the recent official remarks of Emirati leadership, a report said on Wednesday.

The UAE Ambassador to India, Abdulnasser Alshaali, during the tensions in West Asia noted that Indians in the UAE are “considered family by the leadership of this country”, adding that “your family in the UAE is not alone", highlighting the strong societal and strategic bonds between the two countries.

According to a report in the think tank 'Politeia Research Foundation', this characterisation goes beyond conventional diplomacy and reflects a partnership based on mutual trust, interdependence, and long-term stability.

“Amid a fragile ceasefire, all Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) countries have suffered Iranian missile and drone attacks, but the United Arab Emirates (UAE) has suffered the most. It has borne the brunt and suffered significant damage. Yet when peace talks were held in Islamabad, its interests were not adequately taken into account—as if it did not exist or matter in the broader diplomatic calculus," the report detailed.

The report stated that during the conflict involving the US, Israel and Iran — when the UAE came under attack from Iranian missiles and drones – Pakistan appeared to express greater sympathy towards Iran. Through its statements and actions during the conflict, Islamabad was seen as indirectly endorsing Iran's position rather than recognising the UAE’s security concerns.

“This created frustration in the Emirates. In response, it reportedly asked Pakistan to repay around $3.5 billion that it had previously lent. This frustration was also evident in the reactions of UAE-based experts and commentators on social media, many of whom openly criticised Pakistan’s stance," it mentioned.

The report highlighted that New Delhi stayed in close contact with the Emirates throughout this period, with the External Affairs Minister S. Jaishankar visiting the UAE to convey India's message of support and solidarity following the ceasefire announcement.

During the visit, he met with the Emirati leadership and held discussions on regional security, energy stability, and the wider implications of the conflict.

The report noted that India emphasised strong focus on the safety and welfare of the large Indian diaspora in the UAE, with both sides reaffirming their commitment to continued stability and strengthening of their Comprehensive Strategic Partnership.

“India consistently condemned the attacks on the UAE and other GCC countries, reiterating that their sovereignty and territorial integrity must be respected. India also co-sponsored a United Nations Security Council resolution that strongly condemned Iran’s egregious attacks on Gulf countries, reaffirmed their sovereignty, and called for an immediate cessation of hostilities, further underscoring its clear diplomatic support for the UAE during the crisis,” it added.

Picture Courtesy: IANS

MORE National ARTICLES

Environment Canada warns of wintry conditions along B.C. south coast

Environment Canada warns of wintry conditions along B.C. south coast
Environment Canada says wintry conditions are expected along British Columbia's south coast this week. It says a low pressure system is making its way toward the coast, bringing steady precipitation starting Thursday afternoon. 

Environment Canada warns of wintry conditions along B.C. south coast

Trump's pick for commerce says president's tariff threat could be just the beginning

Trump's pick for commerce says president's tariff threat could be just the beginning
During Wednesday's Senate hearing on his nomination to lead the U.S. Department of Commerce, billionaire financier Howard Lutnick said the plan to impose duties on Canada and Mexico is distinct from Trump's long-term tariff plans.

Trump's pick for commerce says president's tariff threat could be just the beginning

CBC head calls for a 'national conversation' on Conservatives' pledge to defund

CBC head calls for a 'national conversation' on Conservatives' pledge to defund
With Donald Trump making "territorial claims," the new head of CBC says defunding the public broadcaster could erode a pillar of Canada's cultural identity. Marie-Philippe Bouchard, CEO of CBC-Radio-Canada, is calling for a "national conversation" on the Conservative promise to defund, and is launching a tour to get it started.

CBC head calls for a 'national conversation' on Conservatives' pledge to defund

These industries would be hit hardest by Trump's 25 per cent tariffs

These industries would be hit hardest by Trump's 25 per cent tariffs
Statistics Canada says the value of Canadian exports to the United States in 2023 exceeded $594 billion. More than 43 per cent of that came from just six industries: oil and gas extraction, oil and gas refining, auto manufacturing, aluminum production and processing, aerospace and crop and animal production.

These industries would be hit hardest by Trump's 25 per cent tariffs

Ukrainians worry as their three-year emergency visas are set to expire

Ukrainians worry as their three-year emergency visas are set to expire
Many of the 300,000 Ukrainians who have come to Canada on three-year emergency visas since 2022 face an uncertain future as their temporary resident permits come closer to expiring, the Ukrainian Canadian Congress warned Wednesday. Congress executive director Ihor Michalchyshyn said he met with Immigration Minister Marc Miller last week to ask his department to automatically renew the visas for another three years.

Ukrainians worry as their three-year emergency visas are set to expire

B.C. assembles 'war room' as U.S. tariff threat looms on Saturday

B.C. assembles 'war room' as U.S. tariff threat looms on Saturday
The relationship between the U.S. and Canada has "fundamentally changed," regardless of whether U.S. President Donald Trump's promised tariffs on Canadian goods materialize on Saturday, according to the chair of a new B.C. cabinet "war room" to tackle the threat. Ravi Kahlon, who is also British Columbia's housing minister, said the provincial government would work to diversify the province's economy and reduce its reliance on the United States.

B.C. assembles 'war room' as U.S. tariff threat looms on Saturday