Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Industry groups look to new cabinet for action

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 26 Oct, 2021 01:23 PM
  • Industry groups look to new cabinet for action

TORONTO - Business and labour groups are urging the new federal cabinet to get to work on priority economic issues like the skilled labour shortage, supply chain issues, fixing employment insurance and ensuring an equitable recovery.

The challenges will be taken on by a cabinet that includes consistency in key economic roles such as Chrystia Freeland as finance minister and François-Philippe Champagne on innovation and industry, as well as new appointments including Seamus O’Regan as minster of labour, Dominic LeBlanc taking on infrastructure, and economic development being added to Mary Ng's portfolio.

The economy, however, didn't seem to be front and centre as the new cabinet was rolled out, said Robert Asselin, senior vice-president of policy at the Business Council of Canada.

“Given all the short-term challenges on the economy, rising inflation, lot of pressure points on the supply side, it didn’t come through as something that was top of mind.”

He said that labour shortages are a key area of concern for Canadian executives and that it will require co-ordination across numerous ministries to ensure there's enough skilled people in the right industries.

“That requires a private-public partnership. You need to reskill a lot of people, you need to upskill a lot of people, you need to transfer people from certain sectors to others very fast, otherwise it’s going to choke the growth of a lot of companies.”

Perrin Beatty, chief executive of the Canadian Chamber of Commerce, said it was good to see the consistency in the finance and industry roles, noting that Champagne has a strong understanding of business. 

He said that one of the most notable appointments was Mélanie Joly as minister of foreign affairs, which comes as Canada works through issues with the U.S. on the auto sector and pipelines and with China on issues like Huawei and trade.

“It is a very hot portfolio to be taking over at the present time, when we have difficult relationships with our two major trading partners...these are very important files with very significant economic implications, quite apart from the political relationships.”

Bea Bruske, president of the Canadian Labour Congress, said that the government must prioritize an equitable recovery as women have been disproportionally impacted by the economic crisis that came with the pandemic. 

She said the most immediate priority though is extending employment insurance support for the 800,000 workers who are the COVID-19 support program that the government didn't extend last week.

“We know those workers are still struggling, because even though jobs have come back, not all the jobs have come back."

She said many who have gone back to work face precarious and part-time work, and she looks forward to working with O’Regan as labour minister to improve conditions.

“We really have a big agenda for this new government to tackle right off the hop, and so we really want to get that work started as quickly as possible.” 

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Abbotsford Police Department investigating possible luring incident

Abbotsford Police Department investigating possible luring incident
The Abbotsford Police Department is investigating a suspicious occurrence involving three children in East Abbotsford. During the conversation, one male invited the children to get into his car to drive to his house, where there would be other children to play with. The eldest child was uncomfortable with the conversation, grabbed her siblings and ran home to tell their parents. 

Abbotsford Police Department investigating possible luring incident

More than 1M Canadians have mixed vaccines so far

More than 1M Canadians have mixed vaccines so far
Health Canada says at least 1.3 million Canadians opted for a mixed-dose finish to their COVID-19 vaccination schedule in June. 

More than 1M Canadians have mixed vaccines so far

Canadian killed in Miami building collapse

Canadian killed in Miami building collapse
Global Affairs Canada said on Tuesday that the Canadian is among 32 dead in the collapse that occurred on June 24. The government agency said three other Canadians are among the 113 people who remain unaccounted for.

Canadian killed in Miami building collapse

Liberals lead Tories among decided voters: Poll

Liberals lead Tories among decided voters: Poll
A new poll suggests Justin Trudeau's Liberal party has only a narrow lead over the Opposition Conservatives among decided voters.

Liberals lead Tories among decided voters: Poll

Possible gang link to latest Surrey shooting: RCMP

Possible gang link to latest Surrey shooting: RCMP
Police are investigating a shooting and separate vehicle fire in Surrey, B.C. RCMP say a home and vehicle in the Fleetwood neighbourhood were hit by several bullets just after 9 p.m. Monday.

Possible gang link to latest Surrey shooting: RCMP

5 year old dead in a Surrey house fire as a result of a domestic violence incident: IHIT

5 year old dead in a Surrey house fire as a result of a domestic violence incident: IHIT
RCMP say the 42-year-old woman called police late Monday to report she had fled the home after being stabbed, but the child was still in the house. The woman's attacker, who police say is known to the victims, is alleged to have set the home on fire before driving away.

5 year old dead in a Surrey house fire as a result of a domestic violence incident: IHIT